Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
anyone ridden a bullet?

the ones on the site right now look like happy sex time
i have a 6-4 bullet twin. one of Matt's personal boards. it's a fun one. easy to surf. needs a little push in the waves with that narrow tail. rocker is moderate and smooth. foil is more normal compared to the flat deck twinsman/plasmic. no beak nose.the outline and foil really remind me of a Stamps Flare RT.

i had a good run on the board but haven't taken it out in a while. i think it competes a bit with a standard HPSB as far as the conditions go and while it's probably better at getting into waves early it doesn't have a massive cheat factor like my Townsend and it's not as sparky and predictable as one of my good thrusters.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
i have a 6-4 bullet twin. one of Matt's personal boards. it's a fun one. easy to surf. needs a little push in the waves with that narrow tail. rocker is moderate and smooth. foil is more normal compared to the flat deck twinsman/plasmic. no beak nose.the outline and foil really remind me of a Stamps Flare RT.

i had a good run on the board but haven't taken it out in a while. i think it competes a bit with a standard HPSB as far as the conditions go and while it's probably better at getting into waves early it doesn't have a massive cheat factor like my Townsend and it's not as sparky and predictable as one of my good thrusters.
was trying to convince him that he'd get used to the TM's rails/deck after a few sessions and not even think about it. But it's in his head. It's like he's looking for an excuse not to shed.
I heard he got mistaken for Kerrzy the other morning at his local, charging a set that was well OH on the 6'1 TMRP!
Will see if he can deny the tiger sheds of the 5'10 swallowtail on the next episode of wife swap.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
For the sake of anyone considering an OG Plasmic purchase here’s my review on the stock XTR 5’6” I was surfing the last couple months.

I sized it based on Matt’s advice of going up a few liters compared to normal volume. For the dims, I was wondering how they fit 35L of volume in such a small package. It makes sense when you feel it up in person and realize how much foam is carried out to the rails.I had the most fun on the board going backhand. The bonzer channel really gives it a lot of hold and it’s super fast.On the forehand,the thickness plus wide point forward had me struggling to maneuver it to my liking in beach breaks. Worked much better on predictable reef break waves with time to turn. Ultimately decided it felt a bit too chunky and tracky for how I wanted it to surf. Sold it and ordered a 5’4 clear XTR. Hoping it goes more like I expected the 5’6” to work. My gut told me go with my normal volume. Looking forward to seeing how the smaller one goes.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
For the sake of anyone considering an OG Plasmic purchase here’s my review on the stock XTR 5’6” I was surfing the last couple months.

I sized it based on Matt’s advice of going up a few liters compared to normal volume. For the dims, I was wondering how they fit 35L of volume in such a small package. It makes sense when you feel it up in person and realize how much foam is carried out to the rails.I had the most fun on the board going backhand. The bonzer channel really gives it a lot of hold and it’s super fast.On the forehand,the thickness plus wide point forward had me struggling to maneuver it to my liking in beach breaks. Worked much better on predictable reef break waves with time to turn. Ultimately decided it felt a bit too chunky and tracky for how I wanted it to surf. Sold it and ordered a 5’4 clear XTR. Hoping it goes more like I expected the 5’6” to work. My gut told me go with my normal volume. Looking forward to seeing how the smaller one goes.
So what’s up with that 5’6”

donger

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 17, 2012
OC

I feel a little better..I felt the same way going front side on my plasmic as well...I also re-ordered a 5'4....hoping it works out as well

Reactions: Havoc and SD_Dan

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

This was my experience to a T. The stock 5'6 was way too bulky for me to ride at OB. It was hard for me to duck dive and get into waves before getting pitched or nose-diving on the inner bars. But it worked pretty well in Santa Cruz the one time I rode it. Ditched the 5'6 and decided to step it down to a 5'3 that I YOLOd from varial on a whim. At 31L it definitely doesn't paddle as well, but it paddles well enough, and it rips. Kind of would like to try the E.A.S.T. version next.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I thought the takeaway was that beach breaks were for 13 year olds who get dropped off by their mom to go surfing. :p
I'd be curious if you guys who thought the plasmic was too chunky would like the EAST version better. Seems like it would make sense.