Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
i do think the LB has slightly more top end hold w/ the swallow tail. Plasmic east has a little more tail rocker and might have a slight edge at staying in the pocket in small waves. outline and rocker are so similar that i think it's really more about how you want to surf. LB has a little more drive, draws longer lines, PE is more pivotal, better at hitting the lip and surfing tight in the pocket. they are both easy to surf and have a large range and variety of waves they will work in. i think PE might suit my style and local waves a little better but i'm still in the honeymoon phase. will do a back to back comparison next time i surf with my buddy.
Thanks! I sold a bunch of boards recently. I am still debating my next board. I have been debating the Lightbender, just haven't felt the need to complete the purchase, especially with the current prices. The 5' 9" PE that was available was the correct volume, but worried about the length, particularly since the Plasmic fins are farther back.

Thanks for the comparison with the Lightbender! So how does it compare to the Plasmic? What Plasmic performance attributes (other than design features) carry over to the PE or it is each element is reduced while increasing performance? It seems based on your comment that the PE falls in-between the Plasmic and Lightbender. Does it still accelerate? Is this centered between the Plasmic and Lightbender or more biased more toward the Lightbender?

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks! I sold a bunch of boards recently. I am still debating my next board. I have been debating the Lightbender, just haven't felt the need to complete the purchase, especially with the current prices. The 5' 9" PE that was available was the correct volume, but worried about the length, particularly since the Plasmic fins are farther back.

Thanks for the comparison with the Lightbender! So how does it compare to the Plasmic? What Plasmic performance attributes (other than design features) carry over to the PE or it is each element is reduced while increasing performance? It seems based on your comment that the PE falls in-between the Plasmic and Lightbender. Does it still accelerate? Is this centered between the Plasmic and Lightbender or more biased more toward the Lightbender?
I can't comment on the normal Plasmic. I would be curious to try one some day but I am hesitent to go so short and wide. Like, I think I'd end up on a 5-5 or something which is shorter than anything I've ever ridden.

PE definitely still accelerates. Plenty of fishy glide just like the Lightbender. To me they overlap pretty much directly and it's more about what flavor you prefer.

My speculation would be that the normal Plasmic would have more low end and less top end than the PE but it sounds like people are digging theirs in similar size range. Small to head high, maybe overhead if mushy is pretty much the range of my PE.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I thought about that one but it was a little narrow. The one I have is 19.75 and don’t think I’d want less.
how wide is your green XTR one?
That ones shorter/wider at 6'3" x 19.75 x 2.5. I use it as a step on bigger days mostly at more rolly lined up spots. Its not any type of crowd killer at that length but catches waves well. Lower half is still pretty narrow with that outline/tail

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I have 6' 6", 19.5" (goofy) Townsend and believe the enjoyment of the board is its narrowness with the longer length. It is slender egg shape that allows it to move around with more ease and better wave catching glide without being a full on midlength. It is kind of like a mini step-up with a fuller front end. Surprising, it makes it work in a range conditions. I think the Townsend is one of the Album stand out designs. It doesn't seem as though many companies have taken this approach to a board shape. Even though this works very well, I still grab my Plasmic for most surfs.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have 6' 6", 19.5" (goofy) Townsend and believe the enjoyment of the board is its narrowness with the longer length. It is slender egg shape that allows it to move around with more ease and better wave catching glide without being a full on midlength. It is kind of like a mini set-up with a fuller front end. Surprising, it makes it work in a range conditions. I think the Townsend is one of the Album stand out designs. It doesn't seem as though many companies have taken this approach to a board shape. Even though this works very well, I still grab my Plasmic for most surfs.
I agree. They are fairly narrow but the nose carries both width and thickness so the they paddle pretty great. I rarely regret riding mine but I tend to prefer it in the larger surf despite it working well in small stuff too.

Reactions: oeste858 and j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I agree. They are fairly narrow but the nose carries both width and thickness so the they paddle pretty great. I rarely regret riding mine but I tend to prefer it in the larger surf despite it working well in small stuff too.
Same. It's not a great wave-catcher for me compared to some other boars, but the flattish rocker and width in front third help it get the job done. YMMV. Definitely not my first choice in real small stuff but excited to surf more OH waves this winter as an alt stap to 6'8 Blackbird. Had one good-sized day on it last month and it was a blast.

@j_mac As an egg rider myself now (LOL), I'd suggest the Townsend ain't that close to an egg past the front half. At least the used 6'7x19.75x2.5 one I got has pretty foiled rails and tail (which surprised me) and surfs much more Medium Performance under my feet than the chunkier 6'4 PlasmEgg or 7' Dankness. All different but fun arrows to kill the crowd...
:p
62920237-F09D-4623-AF1A-B4F4380F3281.jpeg

Last edited:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have a moonstone that might be finishing up this month. Really interested in seeing how that compares with the Townsend at those shorter lengths since they both will be similar size and I'll have it over the winter months to hopefully get a good feel for it.

Reactions: j_mac and oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA