Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
starting to find the upper end of the plasmic but I think it’s more archer thing and related to my inability to bomb a hill with loose trucks.

having trouble rotating onto other boards unless it’s consistently solid, but, no trouble switching between it and a 5’10 thruster.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
starting to find the upper end of the plasmic but I think it’s more archer thing and related to my inability to bomb a hill with loose trucks.

having trouble rotating onto other boards unless it’s consistently solid, but, no trouble switching between it and a 5’10 thruster.
What is the upper end & do you have the standard or the longer EAST version?

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Haha - the Plasmic definitely generates speed!

Do you think bigger fins would help?

Since the onset, the NVS uprights felt good in the 5' 4" Plasmic, not so great in the 5' 6". I am tinkering with Asher Pacey's taller uprights on some other boards, they feel good and have more hold, and this could tighten up those skatetrucks for extending the board's limits.

I am glad that I grabbed the 5' 4" Will's fish in the pumping shoulder plus waves this morning. It supported the right amount of speed and control.

I am debating between a 5' 5" or 5' 7" Lightbender for the bigger waves. It seems the Lightbender is a good alternative to those might be struggling a bit with the Twinsman.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m running decently large fins, I guess they would be considered pivot. i have the NVS set but never tried them in the board.

fwiw I have a 5’7 lightbender and its a fine transition coming off the plasmic

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For the Clydesdales out there, any thoughts on scaling up a Plasmic to the 40-41ltr range? Stock 5'10 dims are in the ballpark,
but wondering how to get one in the 5'8" range. 6' x 215 for reference.
I’m 6’2 - 205 and ride a stock 5’6 Plasmic (Almost 35 liters)

I have a theory and it seems to hold true…

Short stubby boards can be ridden (paddle just as well) at much lower volumes than HPSB pointy nose thrusters.

I have a CI Fever that is 34 liters and a CI Pod (Original Pod) that‘s just under 30 liters and they both catch waves with similar effort.

I think you’d be happier with a stock 5’7 Plasmic than a stock 5’8.

How old are you?

How long have you been surfing?

Do you rip?

Reactions: j_mac

offroute

Nep status
Feb 20, 2004
San Clemente
Thanks Duffy and yes, I have the experienced the same in regards to lower liters in the same shape. Plasmic sizing is bit confusing since the previous suggestion I got was go 5'11". " Because "The board is designed to be ridden in specific dimensions for optimal performance."

Old guy, who typically rides stubble variations in the 5'6" to 5'10" range and have so for a long time. Usually just add thickness / width.

Do I rip? This is the ErBB, so of course I do.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks Duffy and yes, I have the experienced the same in regards to lower liters in the same shape. Plasmic sizing is bit confusing since the previous suggestion I got was go 5'11". " Because "The board is designed to be ridden in specific dimensions for optimal performance."

Old guy, who typically rides stubble variations in the 5'6" to 5'10" range and have so for a long time. Usually just add thickness / width.

Do I rip? This is the ErBB, so of course I do.
5’11 Plasmic? Good size for a SUP. :roflmao:

Like I said above I ride a stock 5’6. If I went custom I’d make it thinner. Floats like a bobber.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
if you’re comfortable with short boards do not stretch out the plasmic just mess with the thickness.

i guess if you wanted to pack even more foam into a shorter shape you could go with a snub nose.

kinda have to lol at all the various album made over the summer and what is now likely confusing user feedback from the Yuri’s of the world.

Reactions: SixtyGrit and j_mac
Jan 28, 2011
NC
My Plasmic is much bigger (volume wise) compared to what I usually ride. I am 5’9” 145lb and the Plasmic is 5’3” x 20” x 2.5”. Probably about 32L or so. Prior to that I was riding boards around 26 to 28L.

I bought it used, other wise I would have ordered one a little smaller. With that said, I do not really feel like it’s oversized at all due to the short length. I have actually really enjoyed the extra foam for small days or with winter rubber.

One day I will YOLO on a new 5’1” or 5’2” from Varial though :)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I’d apply the same logic as TKF: get as short as you are comfortable paddling around. Once up and riding, the smaller the better. YMMV, you do you, etc.

FWIW I had a fantastic sesh today on 6’4 blunt PlasmEgg roundtail (with Akila twins) in stomach-chest high soft but clean reef. Late drops, critical snaps, gutbacks, floaters, coverups, midlength-style trim from the front third… boar felt like an extension of me. Stock.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I’d apply the same logic as TKF: get as short as you are comfortable paddling around. Once up and riding, the smaller the better. YMMV, you do you, etc.

FWIW I had a fantastic sesh today on 6’4 blunt PlasmEgg roundtail (with Akila twins) in stomach-chest high soft but clean reef. Late drops, critical snaps, gutbacks, floaters, coverups, midlength-style trim from the front third… boar felt like an extension of me. Stock.
have u posted a pic of this one yet?