Album Surfboards

Jan 28, 2011
NC
My friend and I were just talking about how I ordered my LB and TM rp with this exact setup in mind, but had a similar feeling about my TM... Then realized it was because I keep forgetting what I ordered it for big, juicy waves, and had been using it as a daily driver because it has a ton of range, but the rails are better suited for juice (ordered it that way).

Almost forgot about the month+ I had it on ice waiting for suitable waves, riding the fvvk out of my LB making a million super fun turnz like every session. Clicked with it immediately because it's so effing easy to rip that boar.

I imagine a LB would be a great board for NC beachies until things get big and hollow, and you need a more length and a parallel rail line to get you into / out of tubes.

IMO LB is a fantastic DD from thigh / waist up to shoulder.
Right on, thanks for the reply. Now to try to hunt down a LB…if anyone on here is interested in trading for a 5’4” Twinsman let me know :)

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How are you guys ordering your Albums? XTR, Varial, Dark Arts or though the man himself? What's construction of choice? I'm feeling a festive YOLO on the way...
If money isn't a concern, I'd get a Varial carbon with a lighter color deck tint. XTR can get a little chattery when the surf gets solid. Dark Arts can absorb water if you ding it. Varial has a more dampened ride. I think the carbon minimizes my one issue with Varial, which is how easily it dents.

If you go through Varial and you have a particular preference for where you like your hard edge to transition to soft, let them know. I was pretty surprised at the difference between my 5'6 Twinsman done at Varial and a similarly sized Twinsman at Album's difference in where the hard edge transitioned, with the one done at Album having almost double the hard edge length as mine.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
If money isn't a concern, I'd get a Varial carbon with a lighter color deck tint. XTR can get a little chattery when the surf gets solid. Dark Arts can absorb water if you ding it. Varial has a more dampened ride. I think the carbon minimizes my one issue with Varial, which is how easily it dents.

If you go through Varial and you have a particular preference for where you like your hard edge to transition to soft, let them know. I was pretty surprised at the difference between my 5'6 Twinsman done at Varial and a similarly sized Twinsman at Album's difference in where the hard edge transitioned, with the one done at Album having almost double the hard edge length as mine.
The varial I ordered through Album has held up really well. In fact the glass has less denting than ones through varial's own process. I went 6/4x4oz.
It has that pronounced edge-almost fully nose to tail.
That's how I'm putting in my orders for Album moving forward.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
@ChaseTMP i suspect that has to do with the shapers finishing notes to the glass house.

it wouldn’t surprise me finer points like hard edges could be updated in one shop and the notes not pass along to others.

fwiw, hard edge on my varial plasmic comes up pretty high.

Jan 28, 2011
NC
so. what's some good fins for these plasmicS?
I tried the NVS Album fins but felt they lacked drive. I have been running the Captain Fin Christenson twin and they go great. I also have a set of the Shapers Asher Pacey fins that were good but those typically stay in my Twinsman.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD

Seems obvious now that you mention it, but I never think to talk about how far up they run the bead / keep the edge at different glass shops. I kinda want my standard request to be, "keep the whole edge. I'll sand it in the water!"

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
In in
Seems obvious now that you mention it, but I never think to talk about how far up they run the bead / keep the edge at different glass shops. I kinda want my standard request to be, "keep the whole edge. I'll sand it in the water!"
Here's a question that will expose my ignorance. How does the edge affect performance? I.e. if it's a board for bigger juicer waves do you want more edge? Or less??

What's the rule of thumb?

• Wow
Reactions: need 4 speed

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
In in

Here's a question that will expose my ignorance. How does the edge affect performance? I.e. if it's a board for bigger juicer waves do you want more edge? Or less??

What's the rule of thumb?

Better start reading.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Kinda want to order a Quad Twinsman, but shorter than my 5'8 twin twinsman.
After seeing what asher is riding, I think I want to go small and chunky.
Yeah man, I am thinking along the same lines. Though I am not sure I can handle the custom wait time.

Second surf on the Insanity today. Still not the ideal waves, it felt good, and can see its potential in the quiver. It is set-up twin plus trailer. It felt long since surfing the 5' 4" boards for the last few weeks. Feet were too far back on the first couple of waves! Switch to the Plasmic after an hour, which was the better board for the conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr