Album Surfboards

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
View attachment 118621
Review of Varial carbon Plasmic. Its 5-9, so its beefy, really beefy. Even after seeing Aruka's(?) side shot, was shocked how thick the nose was. It's 1.7" thick at 12" from the nose. And since the first session today was in 3-4' clean, fading nor'easter swell, I was slightly worried. More on that later.
The Varial carbon is much different than the Dark Arts. The weight is noticeably heavier. Somewhere between DA and PU. I dont know if the tinted hot coat adds weight. The finish is also noticeably different. DA has that sort of scratchy, rough sand finish. And (i think) they spray a coating on (that comes off if you use wax remover... ask me how I know). The finish on the Varial carbon feels just like a typical sanded PU board. It also feels more solid. DA carbon has that 'ping' when you hit/ smack it, or whatever. Varial feels solid.
So, the beef was both a blessing and a hindrance. If I could get momentum going, like 5+ paddles, she made waves I never thought I'd catch. If it was a late drop, like 2 strokes, forget it. It hung up, and I just went over. The ride is fun. Very smooth and it never slid out. I could see me having a quiver of just Plasmic variations for different conditions. Will report back with any other revelations.
PS: anyone want to buy the carbon Astro Pop or the Mandala Super Stubbie in the background? :p
Where's this super stubbie?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Inspired by Album!

Dimensions look strangely similar! Only $650 AUD and $200 off for November!!!
That Mets guy's been literally advertising that he shapes any "brand model" out there.
(ps: it's probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a twinsman, so might as well buy one of his at some point :D )

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
That Mets guy's been literally advertising that he shapes any "brand model" out there.
(ps: it's probably the only way I'll ever be able to afford a twinsman, so might as well buy one of his at some point :D )
I know, right! :bricks:
still leaves a weird taste in my mouth though.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm 165lbs these days, and I ride 27L when I'm in great shape and surfing often. Do I YOLO this as a DD? https://www.varialsurf.com/collections/in-stock-surfboards/products/twinsman-55

Seems like a 5'5" stock size would be more ideal for me... Because it's more practical.
I think you could do it but don't expect it to be a paddle machine. Think about the waves you'll be using it in. These boards don't really grovel so if you want to use it as an average to good wave board then I would say +1L is the bare minumum.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm 165lbs these days, and I ride 27L when I'm in great shape and surfing often. Do I YOLO this as a DD? https://www.varialsurf.com/collections/in-stock-surfboards/products/twinsman-55

Seems like a 5'5" stock size would be more ideal for me... Because it's more practical.
same as stated above, would you ride, and enjoy a good wave 28L fish?

dd fish to me has a bit more extra foam than a hpsb bc they’re not as refined and you will have foam in places that are not the same as a hpsb.

Reactions: Aruka and j_mac

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
same as stated above, would you ride, and enjoy a good wave 28L fish?

dd fish to me has a bit more extra foam than a hpsb bc they’re not as refined and you will have foam in places that are not the same as a hpsb.
I already have a 5'6" twinsman rp in xtr that is rapidly getting beat to sh!t... I think my love for that is likely related to the extra foam in that boar. It's still just a touch more than necessary... I think I am going to need to talk with Matt.

Reactions: j_mac and sdsrfr

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I already have a 5'6" twinsman rp in xtr that is rapidly getting beat to sh!t... I think my love for that is likely related to the extra foam in that boar. It's still just a touch more than necessary... I think I am going to need to talk with Matt.
Edit: maybe racer convinced me to Yolo. Such an enabler

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: j_mac and tedshred5