Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
did you strain a rotator cuff waxing it up :bowdown:

thing looks sick dude, congrats
funny story actually. i waxed it up quickly the day after i got it and when i went for a surf the wax was just flaking off. it didn't affect my session but i noticed all the beads were missing where i was grabbing rails and where my front foot was landing. i don't know what the deal was, maybe some leftover dust or cleaning agent but the wax just would not stick so i removed it all and gave it a light sanding and re-waxed. i may have gotten a little carried away. okay, so i guess it wasn't that funny.

@Aruka - looks amazing! Out of curiosity - what are the tail and nose widths?
15.25 tail, 14.75 nose. 7" tailblock width

super similar to my 5-10 lightbender which is 15.25 tail, 15 nose, 7" tailblock.

the rocker is very close as well with the Plasmic having a little more tail rocker based on my crude measurements.

the fin boxes are further back on plasmic. 7 1/2" vs. 7 7/8" on lightbender. that's from tip of tail to the rear edge of fin box opening.

despite the similarities the plasmic feels noticeably more rear footed and shreddy. like it wants to go vertical and draw sharper lines.

i had my 2nd session on it this evening and while again the conditions were on the bigger side and not really what i intended this board for it handled pretty well and i had a lot of fun. there is a surprising amount of hold off the tail and i got a few turns that felt great. the rocker feels familiar but i'm still sussing things out i think. the construction feels good. there was a lot of power and some lumps and bumps to navigate and i didn't feel like i was getting any chatter or anything. it's a flat 5-9 and the waves were overhead and juicy so i had a few moments where i didn't feel completely in control but it never skittered out or did anything worrisome. got one mid sized nug that allowed for like 5 turns in a row and i was pretty well buzzing after that. so far she feels like a good one.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
despite the similarities the plasmic feels noticeably more rear footed and shreddy. like it wants to go vertical and draw sharper lines.

i had my 2nd session on it this evening and while again the conditions were on the bigger side and not really what i intended this board for it handled pretty well and i had a lot of fun. there is a surprising amount of hold off the tail and i got a few turns that felt great. the rocker feels familiar but i'm still sussing things out i think. the construction feels good. there was a lot of power and some lumps and bumps to navigate and i didn't feel like i was getting any chatter or anything. it's a flat 5-9 and the waves were overhead and juicy so i had a few moments where i didn't feel completely in control but it never skittered out or did anything worrisome. got one mid sized nug that allowed for like 5 turns in a row and i was pretty well buzzing after that. so far she feels like a good one.
I am convinced the magic’s in the bonzer-lite channel!

I have a carboner
I'm surprised the gothic R. in the background of the photos didn't kill that for you.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
the fin boxes are further back on plasmic. 7 1/2" vs. 7 7/8" on lightbender. that's from tip of tail to the rear edge of fin box opening.

Depending on fin selected that makes the base which is the fin placement around 7" or less

Creating this - like it wants to go vertical and draw sharper lines.

Hate it or whatever Twins will keep evolving in this direction with fins being sized for those placements - key to them working there

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
The next thing you will feel is the boards fins "RevvingUp" under you during snaps hovering - supporting you with added energy to take you to the next move - you see this in some of the latest Kerr videos

Forward placed fins can't do this
Based on my experience above, and thinking about this (reason for purchasing 5' 4" Plasmic), The fins being farther back inherently require the board to be shorter in length to optimize their potential (assuming equal fore/aft foam distribution).

Back of the envelope calculation….

If back fins are located 7.5”, futures fin box is 6.3” long.....rear foot over the fin box is about 11” from the tail

Average shoulder width of male is about 16” add 4-6” for foot stance being slightly wider than shoulder width so 20 -22”.

Front foot location relative to the tail – 11” plus 20-22” so about 31 -33”

Double this 62-66” for board length– so 5’ 2” - 5’ 6” is ideal size, assuming equal foam distribution.

Is this a correct way to think about it?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Depending on fin selected that makes the base which is the fin placement around 7" or less

Creating this - like it wants to go vertical and draw sharper lines.

Hate it or whatever Twins will keep evolving in this direction with fins being sized for those placements - key to them working there
GG, can you dumb this down for me… is it as simple as the further back the twin fin is set, the smaller the fin can/should be? Or does it require a different template also? Thanks.
I find I tend to like the same 2 or 3 upright twin templates in multiple boards.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
15.25 tail, 14.75 nose. 7" tailblock width
Just curious, how'd you come up with the dims for this board? At 5'9 it definitely seems thinned out from the standard version based on your volume, but not quite as thinned out as the East version?

Reactions: j_mac and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just curious, how'd you come up with the dims for this board? At 5'9 it definitely seems thinned out from the standard version based on your volume, but not quite as thinned out as the East version?
I knew i didnt want to go stock dims because its so short and fat. Im tall so its pretty normal for me to go a few inches longer and narrower than stock. Matt is about my size and we ride similar boards so I ran the dims by him and he said they sounded good. I was actually going to go wider but im glad i didnt. It packs a bit of foam into the flattish deck and beak nose.

Reactions: HSY and j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
@Aruka can we get a foil shot? specifically curious about the forward half of the board.

plasmic strap sounds good for NCSD although I haven’t found the ceiling of my 5’5.

@j_mac totally agree about riding these as short as you can handle. Sometimes my 5’5 feels a bit long up and riding despite being 6’1.

Dec 15, 2019
Have had a lot of Matt's boards.....My 5'9 UTF quad I got in 2016 is still one of my all times and is still holding tight. Recently got a 7'2 Townsend twin asym, and have been loving this thing. Was super apprehensive about it. Totally sold! Also in the same purchase had 6'0 insanity shaped still haven't gotten it out yet but looking forward to it. Getting ready to rid my self of some other boards. So shopping again. Anyone seen/ridden Lightbender quad? Or the Insanity vs Lightbender? To much crossover? Or do the shorter aysms like the Fascination have that same kinda magic feel the Townsend has? Input greatly appreciated

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Have had a lot of Matt's boards.....My 5'9 UTF quad I got in 2016 is still one of my all times and is still holding tight. Recently got a 7'2 Townsend twin asym, and have been loving this thing. Was super apprehensive about it. Totally sold! Also in the same purchase had 6'0 insanity shaped still haven't gotten it out yet but looking forward to it. Getting ready to rid my self of some other boards. So shopping again. Anyone seen/ridden Lightbender quad? Or the Insanity vs Lightbender? To much crossover? Or do the shorter aysms like the Fascination have that same kinda magic feel the Townsend has? Input greatly appreciated
Think @Aruka has both Insanity & Lightbender. Prolly in multiple constructions too.
Been really impressed with Townsend so far. Shoulda gotten one when guys first started raving about them last year or so. Would've been a a lot less aggravated by the Covid kook crowds. My imagination is already talking me into a mini quiver of Townsend-with-Plasmic-channels at 6'4, 6'8, 7'0!
:socrazy:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@oeste858
as I moved back from 8.5 to 6.75-7" my fins went down in size from full 5 5" h x 5 .25"b to 5 .375"h(5.25) x 5"b,
substantially smaller. It might not sound like it but when you overlay the fins, it's substantial. I use GG template(for the most part) This was additionally beneficial by saving some weight(G10) YMMV :cheers:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@oeste858
as I moved back from 8.5 to 6.75-7" my fins went down in size from full 5 5" h x 5 .25"b to 5 .375"h(5.25) x 5"b,
substantially smaller. It might not sound like it but when you overlay the fins, it's substantial. I use GG template(for the most part) This was additionally beneficial by saving some weight(G10) YMMV :cheers:
n4s when you say 8.5 to 6.75-7" i'm assuming you mean from tail to trailing edge of fin? just want to be clear. i will have to measure mine with fins in and see where it ends up.

just had my 3rd session. pretty wonky local waves but it improved as the tide drained and I got a bunch of fun ones. still feel like i'm figuring it out. it's definitely unlike anything else i've ridden. like a small car with a big engine...

i'll try to get some foil shots later or tomorrow. gotta start cooking.