Album Surfboards

albumatt

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2005
san clemente, ca
Visit site
Hey Matt,

I've got a Twinsman on order, can't wait to try it!

I heard somebody say once that if you're going to get custom dims on a board it's better to increase/decrease thickness because that won't affect the rocker as much.

Whereas if you start messing with width too much, it can change the rocker. Is there any truth to that?

For instance, the stock 6'2 Ledge is only 19 wide but if I was going to get it I would want something closer to 19.75 wide. Would that affect the rocker in a negative way?

Hey Sam - Nice! How long ago did you order it? Wondering if I shaped it already.

On your other question - the rocker curve is the rocker curve - adjusting thickness or width doesn't change that centerline curve

- but all the other elements - width, thickness, foil, rail shape & rocker included will all affect how the board interacts with you and the face of the wave - they all need to work together for the spot you're surfing and what kind of surfing you're trying to do.
It's tough to isolate just one element of a board as they all merge and work together

Generally stock dims are just there as reference points. A custom board should be customized to fit you specifically

Your question on the ledge - 6'2" at 19" is going to fit a bowlier wave, more of a tube, more nimble rail to rail
bumping the width out to 19.75" doesn't change the rocker - at least not the center line curve - but it does give the board a little more planing area for speed and would probably be more suitable to softer california style waves - but also a little less nimble in a critical section. But this also depends on you - your body type, ability, foot size, etc

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Hey Sam - Nice! How long ago did you order it? Wondering if I shaped it already.

On your other question - the rocker curve is the rocker curve - adjusting thickness or width doesn't change that centerline curve

- but all the other elements - width, thickness, foil, rail shape & rocker included will all affect how the board interacts with you and the face of the wave - they all need to work together for the spot you're surfing and what kind of surfing you're trying to do.
It's tough to isolate just one element of a board as they all merge and work together

Generally stock dims are just there as reference points. A custom board should be customized to fit you specifically

Your question on the ledge - 6'2" at 19" is going to fit a bowlier wave, more of a tube, more nimble rail to rail
bumping the width out to 19.75" doesn't change the rocker - at least not the center line curve - but it does give the board a little more planing area for speed and would probably be more suitable to softer california style waves - but also a little less nimble in a critical section. But this also depends on you - your body type, ability, foot size, etc
Awesome, thanks for the reply Matt. My Twinsman is a 5'11 through XTR. They say it's getting shaped now.

That's super interesting what you said about how changing the width of the Ledge could make it more suitable for a bit softer of a wave. I hadn't ever considered that adding width also increases planing area which can give you more speed.

I tend to only ride my shortboards in juicy, pumping waves here in Indo so I'm thinking about maybe either a wider Ledge or a RP insanity. Both have gotten great reviews here.

Cheers

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Lol. duuu’s doing reviews now on used boars.

looked stiff AF. I don’t think those fins were anywhere close to the right call.
He sells most of them after making the review. Kind of makes sense to me. I sold it to him for 600 i think, then he listed it for 600, and then Yuri bought it (had to be close to 6, so he didnt lose much on it).

Regarding being stiff, yeah, had to be fins, as it was too loose for my tastes.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
He sells most of them after making the review. Kind of makes sense to me. I sold it to him for 600 i think, then he listed it for 600, and then Yuri bought it (had to be close to 6, so he didnt lose much on it).

Regarding being stiff, yeah, had to be fins, as it was too loose for my tastes.
Agreed. My Twinsman is def not stiff. Poor fin choice.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'll share some stock. Far North county beach breaks were fun this afternoon. Twinsmang RP was a blast. That thing projects so well on rail, I was able to take of straight to the beach, delay the bottom turn and lay over-pushing as hard as I fvckin could. It would project way out and up into the lip.
Still finding more gears on this thing after almost a year.