Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I always figured hipsters prefer poo brown. Aren’t the Lovelace fins available in a similar poo-inspired colorway?

Theyre a favorite in my 5’7 lotbender as well.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I wonder if you can Rit dye fiberglass and G10 fins like you can dye G10 knife scales. Might have to try.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
What's the deal with the BPUNT? Can't seem to find any information about it anywhere but looks like the type of thing I would enjoy
I haven't ridden mine yet. Been waiting for some solid swell. Matt told me he rode it as a twin+trailer, even in bigger surf. To me the rear end looks a lot like my Insanity. I think the tail width is nearly the same between my 6-6 Bpunt and my 6-2 Insanity. The front half is more refined than the Insanity w/ out a beak nose and overall a little narrower/thinner while still carrying some foam. It looks like it has a little more rocker up front as well but overall it appears to have fairly moderate rocker for a step up type board. I think it will go well in big point surf or kind of rolling reef type waves where you need to cover some ground. I'll update this thread once I've gotten a proper session or two on it.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I haven't ridden mine yet. Been waiting for some solid swell. Matt told me he rode it as a twin+trailer, even in bigger surf. To me the rear end looks a lot like my Insanity. I think the tail width is nearly the same between my 6-6 Bpunt and my 6-2 Insanity. The front half is more refined than the Insanity w/ out a beak nose and overall a little narrower/thinner while still carrying some foam. It looks like it has a little more rocker up front as well but overall it appears to have fairly moderate rocker for a step up type board. I think it will go well in big point surf or kind of rolling reef type waves where you need to cover some ground. I'll update this thread once I've gotten a proper session or two on it.
Cool, cheers for that. Would love to hear a review once you've had a go with it.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Moonstone as a fishy step up but the Bpunt looks like it might be a bit better. I like that it has three fin boxes so you could go thruster if you wanted.

Both the Moonstone and Bpunt look like refined versions of the Nautilus to me. I had a Nautty but sold it because I didn't really like how wide it was at a step up size for me.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Cool, cheers for that. Would love to hear a review once you've had a go with it.

I was toying with the idea of getting a Moonstone as a fishy step up but the Bpunt looks like it might be a bit better. I like that it has three fin boxes so you could go thruster if you wanted.

Both the Moonstone and Bpunt look like refined versions of the Nautilus to me. I had a Nautty but sold it because I didn't really like how wide it was at a step up size for me.
I also recently got a Bpunt. I got it for a local reef break that works when the waves are bigger. The waves are slopey and then pitch up quickly. Even though it is a reef break, the breaking location does vary a bit. I wanted a board that could paddle, provide hold, and still be fun on the wave face - ie do it all - haha! I have surfed 5-6 times now. It is the right board for the break, especially as the size increases. I have surfed it as a twin plus trailer, and a thruster, I have been gravitating more toward the standard thruster set-up at the moment. This could easily change with more time on the board. Like you, I didn't want a wide board. So far it has been a winner!

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Lightbender had been out of commission for a while but I finally repaired it and had a super fun session at my local today. JS MFC fins feel like a good fit for this one. A bit more drive than the smaller templates I'd been running but still plenty pivotal. I'll just say it, think I prefer the Lightbender to the Twinsman. I think there's just something about how the Twinsman has that wing and the rocker accelerating out the tail that doesn't agree with me. The lightbender feels like it drives off the front or the back foot and I don't have to think about surfing it whereas I can't say the same for the Twinsman which feels much more sensitive to forward/rearward weighting.

I also got to ride the 6-6 Bpunt finally yesterday in some overhead surf. It felt really good. Rasta twin+trailer set was a good call. Lots of speed and a fun kinda loose feel. The waves weren't huge but it was a big playing field and it took a lot of paddling to get one. I was happy to have the extra paddle power for and the board didn't feel overly long or cumbersome.

Jul 2, 2021
Hey Guys, I was hoping you can give me some advice? I'm going to order a twinsman but not quite sure what size to get? My current HPSB's are around 31-32litrs (5'11-6'0) small wave board is DHD Pheonix 5'9 33Ltrs (MR Twin + trailer). I'm 46, 5'9 & 169 pounds, and an experienced surfer. Tossing up between the stock 5'9 x 19'7/8 x 2/38 33.4 Liters or the 5'10 x 20 x 2 7/16 34.4 litres. Not sure if I need to go more volume and length or stick to the dims closer to the DHD which I love to ride.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Looks like Album reduced the prices on a few stock boards. I remember clear poly's being $1350 the last time I looked and now there are two that are two Twinsman's listed for $1200 (still crazy expensive) and one has full color. The clear one looks like it's unavailable.

There was a nice looking navy Twinsman on Varial's site for $1050 which is now gone. In my opinion, there's more bang for the buck going that route, since Varial's don't lose their pop like standard stringered poly's.

XTR with full color and SL-C would be about $50 bucks less than Varial, $150 less as XTR's stingered or stringerless versions.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Serious questions: Why are Album boards so expensive? Are they that much better or is it just a matter of producing hype by making the same thing cost more? Is it just that they're the new black?

I really dig XTR construction and feel it's worth the extra I spend on those boards. I think Dark Arts and Varial are similar to many - worth it for the extra cost.

So are standard Album boards that much better and/or unique to justify the extra expense? The prices I keep seeing really do get my attention.

-sh3

edit: Admittedly I'm a huge fan of Daniel Thomson's boards. Are those worth extra? To me they are.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Hey Guys, I was hoping you can give me some advice? I'm going to order a twinsman but not quite sure what size to get? My current HPSB's are around 31-32litrs (5'11-6'0) small wave board is DHD Pheonix 5'9 33Ltrs (MR Twin + trailer). I'm 46, 5'9 & 169 pounds, and an experienced surfer. Tossing up between the stock 5'9 x 19'7/8 x 2/38 33.4 Liters or the 5'10 x 20 x 2 7/16 34.4 litres. Not sure if I need to go more volume and length or stick to the dims closer to the DHD which I love to ride.

I'd probably lean toward the 5'10. I ride 27-28L HPSB's (I'm 6' and 165ish) and I got the stock 5'6 Twinsman and would not want any more foam. If you haven't felt one up in person, the chunk is pretty alarming. It was the first board I've ordered that I didn't have a general "feel" for what to expect.

I was back on a favorite of mine this am (Twinsman is in the shop), a 5'8 Haydenshapes' Psychedelic Germ. At 27.9L, I couldn't believe how thin the Psych Germ felt in comparison. I felt like I was also sitting really deep in the water after having ridden the Twinsman exclusively for almost two months, and that being about 2L more.

Jul 2, 2021
I'd probably lean toward the 5'10. I ride 27-28L HPSB's (I'm 6' and 165ish) and I got the stock 5'6 Twinsman and would not want any more foam. If you haven't felt one up in person, the chunk is pretty alarming. It was the first board I've ordered that I didn't have a general "feel" for what to expect.

I was back on a favorite of mine this am (Twinsman is in the shop), a 5'8 Haydenshapes' Psychedelic Germ. At 27.9L, I couldn't believe how thin the Psych Germ felt in comparison. I felt like I was also sitting really deep in the water after having ridden the Twinsman exclusively for almost two months, and that being about 2L more.
Thanks Chase, do mean you I should lean towards the 5'9 as you said your 5'6 at 2 litre more than the Hayden has heaps of foam and you would not want any more foam than the 5'6??

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@hutchoman I would lean towards the smaller one. The flat deck packs a ton of foam. If I was to reorder a twinsman I would shoot for around my HPSB literage instead of going up a couple liters like I did.