Album Surfboards

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
I fully believe shaper can make custom board for height weight skill set, but then recommends the same exact fin to everybody? So somebody 120 pounds and somebody 220 pounds should both be on the Apex Upright 5.5 Album Twin set? For example, Josh Kerr and Asher Pacey both weigh 40-50 pounds less than me, but Matt recommended a smaller fin for me (NVS set is smaller than Ashers sig fin that both Kerr and him ride).

I had a Greg Griffin shaped board and the best fins for it, in my opinion, were a set of Timmy Patterson quads. I tried Gregs fins in it, along with Merricks and Simon Andersons.
Regarding fin size and weight. Power into turns plays a big role when choosing fin size no?
I'm much heavier than Kerr and Asher but I sure as hell can't turn like they do. I throw dixie cups...not massive buckets...
So I'm guessing they prefer a bigger fin?

Not sure if this has been posted but here is Kerr surfing the Aipa fin.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
With babies you're so busy/tired you don't realize how long it's been between surfs. You'll be like I just surfed! Wait that was fkn two weeks ago!! Gets better/easier as they get older. Congrats on the keiki!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
More importantly...

who's gonna do it?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
More importantly...

who's gonna do it?

2 inches longer and I would do it. Love that deck color, too. YOLO!

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
2 inches longer and I would do it. Love that deck color, too. YOLO!
whoa, I find the volume on that board hard to believe at those dims. anyone know if that's legit?
also that is serious YOLO pricing. Not quite Hermes or Roy Stuart pricing, but a lot for a shortboard you expect to ride.