Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Been trying to figure out a way to loosen up my 6'3" Townsend some more. Ran the CC uprights, Album twins.and Akila's. The Akila's & the Album twins felt the best but both still are hard for me to turn the way I want. Who makes an upright smaller than Akila's?
Maybe Machado's?

My loosest twins are probably the AMT's which aren't normally my favorite but I've had some good sessions running them in my 6-6 Townsend. They are very upright and have maybe a little extra cant i think. They are also honeycomb so not as heavy and stiff as fiberglass or g10. They are a little bigger than the Akilas though and I don't have Akilas to directly compare.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have the Machado's in another board and they are a bit smaller looking at them. Not sure why i was thinking Akila's was smaller. Will have to try them soon on the Townsend. The AMT's look nice also being so upright. Good call.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
What sizes are people ordering their plasmic compared to their typical keel fish?
It looks like you go shorter than tkf. Thankfully someone bought the stretched out 7-footer from BR surf shop. It was starting to whisper to me (even though my small wave boards are pretty dialed rn). That bottom channel through the fins was not messing around and looked like it might be "inspired" by the CB Alpha Omega (bonzers), and even the (dare I say it) Tomo quad-in-a-single channel.
This 6'0 in CF packs a LOT of volume (43.5 L!)... that's practically a midlength replacement!
6'0 Album Plasmic Dark Arts Carbon Surfboard

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd sure like to ride one. Also would be interested to hear about a quad version.
Yeah, I'm sure that would be a blast. It's kinda funny watching their instas and seeing them frothing over quad versions. I felt the same a few years ago after emerging from a twinfin rabbit hole: quads felt like a revelation again. LOL
That said, it really seems like Matt has his twins dialed in to minimize any of their perceived limitations.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Chatting with Matt seems it’s best to go shorter and thicker, and not necessarily wider when customizing to suit the rider from stonk dims.

im thinking of a 5’5 for summer, my fish are usually 5’6.

Reactions: oeste858

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Placed an order for a 7'0" Ledge with Twinzer set-up. 14 weeks, just in time for summer.
Cool! I love the various options Matt creates. I got a 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer from Matt. It is the most fascinating board in my quiver. I got it as a wavestorm burner but to me it's not that board. Maybe that 7' 2" Plasmic is the burner - haha. I really like 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer though. I wish I could surf it more, but it needs the right waves. Even though it has the volume and length, in smaller waves, its kind of blah, and I tend to over surf it and bog the rail. In these conditions, I need to surf it with a gentle touch. When the waves have some good size to them, oh man it is sooooo muuuuccchhhh fun and so addicting. In these bigger conditions, it feels much shorter than 8' 0" and the board comes alive and handles the speed and size perfectly, it is easy to move it around. I can push harder into the board and surf it much more naturally.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Cool! I love the various options Matt creates. I got a 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer from Matt. It is the most fascinating board in my quiver. I got it as a wavestorm burner but to me it's not that board. Maybe that 7' 2" Plasmic is the burner - haha. I really like 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer though. I wish I could surf it more, but it needs the right waves. Even though it has the volume and length, in smaller waves, its kind of blah, and I tend to over surf it and bog the rail. In these conditions, I need to surf it with a gentle touch. When the waves have some good size to them, oh man it is sooooo muuuuccchhhh fun and so addicting. In these bigger conditions, it feels much shorter than 8' 0" and the board comes alive and handles the speed and size perfectly, it is easy to move it around. I can push harder into the board and surf it much more naturally.
Very intriguing. Post some pics of that bad boy

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Cool! I love the various options Matt creates. I got a 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer from Matt. It is the most fascinating board in my quiver. I got it as a wavestorm burner but to me it's not that board. Maybe that 7' 2" Plasmic is the burner - haha. I really like 8'0" Twinsman Twinzer though. I wish I could surf it more, but it needs the right waves. Even though it has the volume and length, in smaller waves, its kind of blah, and I tend to over surf it and bog the rail. In these conditions, I need to surf it with a gentle touch.
Don't be such a fucking brute, then.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Don't be such a fucking brute, then.
Haha - very true! Don't get me wrong, I love the challenge of the board. As said, it the most fascinating board that I own, and for this reason I love surfing it. Even in the bigger waves, it requires finesse here and there. IMO, bigger waves brings out the best in the board. I surfed it first in smaller waves and was expecting this super easy and lazy wave catching board. First couple waves were ugly and embarrassing - haha, and this was in small waves. After a few waves, I surfed it with a lighter touch, a little more grace, and it went much better. Again it was so different. My brain was rattled by this board, and it also piqued my interest in trying to figure it out. Then I surfed in some medium waves with lots wind chop (not the best), and I started to see its beauty. It started coming to life. I brought it out in the bigger waves though I was bit worried. Once I got into the first big wave, it really came to life. I was taken back by it in a very good way. Now that I felt the board come alive in those scenarios it is hard to surf it other conditions, mostly because of how much fun it is in those conditions. Not to say I won't surf it smaller conditions again, as I like playing and exploring, just that there are better boards for those conditions.

Surfing this board is the most addicting. Every evening after a solid session surfing this board in bigger waves, I lay in bed just thinking about the day's surfing. I surfed it in some bigger reef breaks and some beach breaks that were similar to reef breaks in certain conditions. I surf mostly punchier beach breaks. Two weekends ago, the waves were growing size, on beach that tends to close out relatively quick. I was not having the greatest success with shorter boards. I ran home got the Twinsman Twinzer. I can't stop thinking about this session. By no means the best surfing. However, getting into those punchy bigger waves, flying down the line with this board and how easily it was moving up and down the wave for its size, and that first bottom turn - wooohooo! When start talking to yourself out, you know it is fun - haha! I am still thinking about that session.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Townsend.deck.jpgTownsend.hull.jpg

Shot in my power rack to counteract the hipsterness.
Never ventured into mid-length territory before. All my DDs are well below 6'. I'll say this: this aint no funboard. Very refined foil.
6'10 x 20 x 2.75
3 pack of skinny jeans(or are they supposed to be dad jeans now??) ordered with expedited shipping.