Album Surfboards

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Anyone felt up a varial glassed 6x4+6?

Curious how heavy they come out.

The 4x4+4oz. one I tried years ago was so prone to denting I dunno if I could go that route again.
I was down there a couple weeks ago and felt up this one:

A little lighter than traditional PU build. Beautiful board. If it was 6'2" I would have walked out with it, but I like pink surfboards.

Dents don't bother me at all.

Reactions: Aruka

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Anyone felt up a varial glassed 6x4+6?

Curious how heavy they come out.

The 4x4+4oz. one I tried years ago was so prone to denting I dunno if I could go that route again.
I’ve got a 6x4+4 in varial/poly coming. I’ll put up a review when I get it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wut fins are you guyz running?

mostly interested in the lightblender but also those with the twinsman and/or plasmic.

curious both of what works and what was a waste of time.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA

mostly interested in the lightblender but also those with the twinsman and/or plasmic.

I really like both the Album Gemini and NVS upright twins in my Twinsman RT.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Only ridden Akilas in my Twinsman Round Pin and seem to work well with tail. Love em. No reason to change but will try the new Rasta upright twins at some point.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I like the NVS Album upright in my Lightbender. The AMT's felt too upright and lacking drive but then again they usually feel that way to me. The Christenson twins felt good but not as lively and responsive as the NVS. Tried keels and didn't like it at all.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
did you try the piggybacks?
no I ran the AMK which are pretty yuuge.

piggyback keels are a good call, will have to pop them in at some point. they always felt fun but a little too loose in my stamps fishes.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
How different are those two fins performance wise?

Hard to gauge just from just photos and lack of rake measurement.
I feel like the NVS uprights have more pivot and the Geminis have a bit more drive. I need to surf both fins a more for a true review but this is what I've felt so far. I think both are a really good choice. I've also tried the Fascination template in my Twinsman RT and found it to be too much fin. But they feel really good in my Sunstone.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
piggyback keels are a good call, will have to pop them in at some point. they always felt fun but a little too loose in my stamps fishes.
yeah, I was thinking their shorter base may work well as a “keel mode” for the lightblender in say epic clean knee high lined up surf we sometimes get at the NCSD reefs. My banjo kills in this and is very down the line but lacks enough pivot when the face opens up for a hack running the YUGE keels my banjo goes best with.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone try the TA asym Gemini set in a sym boar?

Reactions: oeste858

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The Christenson twins felt good but not as lively and responsive as the NVS.
tried these, I get what you’re saying.

tons of drive but when the sections got critical flying down the line it felt more like a keel than a twin.

worked great last night when it was much smaller. I think these will do well for gravel conditions and the NVS set as DD.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Been trying to figure out a way to loosen up my 6'3" Townsend some more. Ran the CC uprights, Album twins.and Akila's. The Akila's & the Album twins felt the best but both still are hard for me to turn the way I want. Who makes an upright smaller than Akila's?