Album Surfboards

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
The Lightbender and plasmic keep calling my name. I reckon I’ll buy one (or an MR) next week.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
For those with lightbenders, how much extra volume did you go from your daily driver?
A 5’5 stock is available here that I’m thinking of grabbing. I’m 6’1 so it’s pretty short but at 30L its slightly more than my DD (~28). However I’m not huge on volume and wondering what anyone with one reckons size wise?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
For those with lightbenders, how much extra volume did you go from your daily driver?
A 5’5 stock is available here that I’m thinking of grabbing. I’m 6’1 so it’s pretty short but at 30L its slightly more than my DD (~28). However I’m not huge on volume and wondering what anyone with one reckons size wise?
I kept it around 2 liters more than my short boards. When this one dies I’m ordering another exactly like it.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I went up about 2 liters on my lightbender.

5-5 seems a little short for someone your height @Tomay

i'm 6'3" and mine is 5-10. I'm sure I could ride one shorter but I don't think I would choose to.

Reactions: Tomay and sdsrfr

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Where are you guys finding these boards stock? I want a 5'6" lightbender and/or a 5'8" Twinsman and/or a 6'0" Twinsman pintail but I dont want to wait 4 months for a custom...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
agree literage looks good but length is a bit short.

im 6’1 and ride a 5’6 fish (banjo), a 5’5 would probably work fine but I think you’ll miss some of the length if given the option.

Reactions: Tomay

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Just sent an inquiry about a Plasmic and Matt responded suggesting a behemoth 5'8 x 21.5 x 2.7.

For reference, I'm 6'3, 190ish.

Obviously you internet warriors know better than the shaper, so what do you think? Slim it down?
I had and sold a Plasmic at 5'7 x20.5 x2.6ish. I'm 6'2 180. Had tons of float. Just felt too short for me but volume was fine. Lots of foam packed into those. My boards these days are around 37-38 liters.

Reactions: bluengreen
Dec 15, 2019
My current Album collection and growing...
Me 5’11” 155 lbs 47.5 trips around the sun.

This is the most dialed quiver I’ve ever had.

Matt has really nailed ways to add foam with out the Board having that chunky feel where you don’t feel like it in the water. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the standard thruster design.

The 5’8” Insanity is my baseline and all the others were basically scaled up or down from it.

Matt is super cool to work with and delivery times have always been on time to the day or even a bit early. I wish I had boards like this 25 years ago. My surfing has improved even though I’m getting to be an old badger.

For me, the Bullet and Insanity go great using the twin tab Album NVS Twin w/trailer -lots of speed and section making drive with the right amount of looseness. Not like my twin fin in the 80’s that always spun out.

The Bullet is pretty much my daily driver with the Twin+ and ridden as a quad (again Album NVS template) can handle overhead surf no problem. Once I switch to the Insanity using the same fins it’s seamless. I also like the FCS II K Andino thruster in the insanity.

I’m really looking forward to taking these boards on a trip to ride really good waves in.

I also have a 6’6” Insanity step-up in the works so I’m ready to go when traveling restrictions lighten up a bit.

Boards left to right:
5’6” x 19.75“ x 2.38“ Bullet
5’8”’ x 19” x 2.3“ Insanity
6’1” x 19 x 2.36 Insanity step-up
6’6” x 20” x 2.5” Townsend 4 + 1
7’2” x 19.25“ x 2.5” Destroyer

Several were painted by our very own Barry Snyder. :cheers:View attachment 105002
bottom of the 6’1”
View attachment 105004
How do you like the the Townsend as a 4+1? I have Darkness and love it. Flowy and cruisy, but looking for something a little more nimble and Matt recommended the Townsend. I'm really hesitant to dive into a asym and just a little apprehensive in a mid-L twin, and was thinking of going 4+1 route, but might beat the purpose of the Townsend design? I prefer quads but have been experimenting with twins a little but run my Darkness as 2+1 and thought having an quad option and surf it more from the tail would be super fun. I have had a lot of Matts boards and usually super stoked.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
How do you like the the Townsend as a 4+1? I have Darkness and love it. Flowy and cruisy, but looking for something a little more nimble and Matt recommended the Townsend. I'm really hesitant to dive into a asym and just a little apprehensive in a mid-L twin, and was thinking of going 4+1 route, but might beat the purpose of the Townsend design? I prefer quads but have been experimenting with twins a little but run my Darkness as 2+1 and thought having an quad option and surf it more from the tail would be super fun. I have had a lot of Matts boards and usually super stoked.
What do you find is the lower end of your Darkness? Looking for a longboard alternative that I could order from XTR, and this would be it for their offerings (maybe an Aipa mini tanker). Like all Album boards, there's dozens of variations. I think maybe the one on the top below might work, the one below, not so much. Both Darkness. its really hit or miss when I try to communicate with them via DM on IG
1613252473256.png1613252510501.png

Last edited:

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
What do you find is the lower end of your Darkness? Looking for a longboard alternative that I could order from XTR, and this would be it for their offerings (maybe an Aipa mini tanker). Like all Album boards, there's dozens of variations. I think maybe the one on the top below might work, the one below, not so much. Both Darkness. its really hit or miss when I try to communicate with them via DM on IG
View attachment 105071View attachment 105072
top one looks better to me, looks like easy paddling and entry, plenty of glide but the ability to get back on the tail and swoop. Bottom board looks like it would be a bit more squirrelly but hold it’s line in bigger stuff - not the sort of board I’d be riding in good waves anyway but to each their own.

Dec 15, 2019
top one looks better to me, looks like easy paddling and entry, plenty of glide but the ability to get back on the tail and swoop. Bottom board looks like it would be a bit more squirrelly but hold it’s line in bigger stuff - not the sort of board I’d be riding in good waves anyway but to each their own.

View attachment 105071View attachment 105072
I currently have a 7'4 in stock dims. The outline is like the dark green one pictured at the bottom. The top more like the Social which is super fun as well. But on the subject of the Darkness. Mine has lots of glide def. a good longboard alternative. If I don't feel like logging or groveling and wanna catch a lot of waves that's what I bring out. Catches anything. Recently went from a 7.5 trueames greenough to a 6.5 skip frye and really has made it more livelier. Especially when I get back on the tail But it feels big and bulky when I have had it in some juicer waves here in PR. But lined up Baja points really not an issue in similar size. But as Tomay mentioned not really getting that out in good waves. But age is creeping up on me and I aint gonna be one of the dudes hanging onto there shortboard to long. So wanna get really proficient at my mid-length game.

Feb 5, 2019
Anyone been able to compare the lightbender to twinsman yet? How long are y'all customs taking these days?

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Anyone been able to compare the lightbender to twinsman yet? How long are y'all customs taking these days?
My Townsend I picked up through XTR a few weeks back took about 11 weeks with the faux resin color job on it. At the time i put in the order back in Nov, they were quoting 4-6 weeks on Albums, but things must of gotten busier and i'm sure the holiday break didn't help.

Reactions: Aruka

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
My Townsend I picked up through XTR a few weeks back took about 11 weeks with the faux resin color job on it. At the time i put in the order back in Nov, they were quoting 4-6 weeks on Albums, but things must of gotten busier and i'm sure the holiday break didn't help.
Must be nice... I'm going 6+ months on a Cole

Reactions: MathDebater