Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm 180, and I've found anything over 21" wide starts to feel unwieldy going rail to rail. I'm sure he'd be happy to tweak dims with you and offer options if you tell him you think its sounds boaty. I think SBD is right that it's meant to have more vol as a groveler than your DD. If it has a concave deck, those do change the foam distribution a lot IMO, so it may be factoring that in.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
there's a big scaled-up (like 7'2) Plasmic at the local shop. Would be curious to try it out at that size.

edit: Think it's exactly like this one

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
the 5'6 in their online shop looks fun
think they mis labeled the width though

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
the 5'6 in their online shop looks fun
think they mis labeled the width though
that would definitely be too boaty for @bluengreen
LOL

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
not mine. kinda tempting
Yup, saw that one too. Usually don't see boards like that on CL.

I really want a Plasmic, but that one is pretty thick at 2.6. I usually go for boards in the 26 to 28 volume range. Seems like you need to go higher for the Plasmic.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
True, but that thing is narrow and short. Asher Pacey's are 2.6 thick, FWIW.

Also, no pressures? I never understand why people surf a board once an then decide to throw it up on C-list.
agreed. at least give yourself a chance to figure out the board

Reactions: jkb

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
My current two Albums: 7' Townsend and 6'4" Twinsanity custom.

I picked up the Townsend used from Michael Townsend last fall and have just loved it through that run of swell we had late November through early January. Rode it in 2' Jalama beach break in October up to almost DOH reef breaks here in San Diego later in the season. Such a fun board! Wish I got one earlier. At first, the wide, flat nose put me off for bigger, steeper waves but I made a few leash-less super late drops on 2-4' OH waves on my front hand that I was just freaking on. It loves the super hi line glide, turns really well for a longer board, works good backside...to be honest I haven't found where it doesn't work yet, but I think crappy closed out beach break would be its only downfall.

The 6'4" I had custom made and wished I listened to Matt. I got it a year ago or so and he tried to talk me into the Townsend then but I didn't go for it. This board was made as a step-up with hollow Blacks in mind, but after I got it I realized that while I love Blacks I hate the 300 people that are there all the time...so I don't surf there much. This one is for sale, sans fins, so hit me up if you're interested. Selling top fund a Lightbender, Twinsman and/or Twinsman pintail...

Attachments

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
My current two Albums: 7' Townsend and 6'4" Twinsanity custom.

I picked up the Townsend used from Michael Townsend last fall and have just loved it through that run of swell we had late November through early January. Rode it in 2' Jalama beach break in October up to almost DOH reef breaks here in San Diego later in the season. Such a fun board! Wish I got one earlier. At first, the wide, flat nose put me off for bigger, steeper waves but I made a few leash-less super late drops on 2-4' OH waves on my front hand that I was just freaking on. It loves the super hi line glide, turns really well for a longer board, works good backside...to be honest I haven't found where it doesn't work yet, but I think crappy closed out beach break would be its only downfall.

The 6'4" I had custom made and wished I listened to Matt. I got it a year ago or so and he tried to talk me into the Townsend then but I didn't go for it. This board was made as a step-up with hollow Blacks in mind, but after I got it I realized that while I love Blacks I hate the 300 people that are there all the time...so I don't surf there much. This one is for sale, sans fins, so hit me up if you're interested. Selling top fund a Lightbender, Twinsman and/or Twinsman pintail...
That Townsend is a beaut. What are the full dims?

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
My current Album collection and growing...
Me 5’11” 155 lbs 47.5 trips around the sun.

This is the most dialed quiver I’ve ever had.

Matt has really nailed ways to add foam with out the Board having that chunky feel where you don’t feel like it in the water. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the standard thruster design.

The 5’8” Insanity is my baseline and all the others were basically scaled up or down from it.

Matt is super cool to work with and delivery times have always been on time to the day or even a bit early. I wish I had boards like this 25 years ago. My surfing has improved even though I’m getting to be an old badger.

For me, the Bullet and Insanity go great using the twin tab Album NVS Twin w/trailer -lots of speed and section making drive with the right amount of looseness. Not like my twin fin in the 80’s that always spun out.

The Bullet is pretty much my daily driver with the Twin+ and ridden as a quad (again Album NVS template) can handle overhead surf no problem. Once I switch to the Insanity using the same fins it’s seamless. I also like the FCS II K Andino thruster in the insanity.

I’m really looking forward to taking these boards on a trip to ride really good waves in.

I also have a 6’6” Insanity step-up in the works so I’m ready to go when traveling restrictions lighten up a bit.

Boards left to right:
5’6” x 19.75“ x 2.38“ Bullet
5’8”’ x 19” x 2.3“ Insanity
6’1” x 19 x 2.36 Insanity step-up
6’6” x 20” x 2.5” Townsend 4 + 1
7’2” x 19.25“ x 2.5” Destroyer

Several were painted by our very own Barry Snyder. :cheers:201639AB-1495-4232-80CA-91DC873C9487.jpeg
bottom of the 6’1”
28EE1023-6D35-46AF-9DBE-14698A379A18.jpeg

Last edited: