Album Surfboards

Feb 5, 2019
Townsend asym and avocadobender have been feeling great this trip. I put a big crack in the avo around the toeside fin early in the trip so it was out of commission for a while but my janky repair appears to be holding and its feeling as good as ever now. I would say the lightbender has showed some weakness when the waves get small and fast. It just doesnt have the down the line drive of a full keel fish. Still, its much more shreddy than a keel when the waves have push and i love the lines its able to take. Very fun to slide the tail around and goof off on whatever little section pops up.

Townsend never disappoints. Its basically my step up/crowd beater for when im sick of battling the disturbing number of seemingly healthy, young midlength riders.
Thanks for the update mate. How big of size have you pushed the avocadobender in so far?

Reactions: Aruka

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I would say the lightbender has showed some weakness when the waves get small and fast. It just doesnt have the down the line drive of a full keel fish. Still, its much more shreddy than a keel when the waves have push and i love the lines its able to take.
Ive had success in those conditions by switching to the Christenson keels.
But these days, that’s when I grab my 5’5 Plasmic. It’s sooooo good in the small stuff.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
PSA: 7'2 moonstone long fish on CL. if this was 6'10 or under, I would've snagged it.
I went and looked at this boar. It's in great shape and worth the $ if that size fits your needs. Too big for me.

Reactions: oeste858

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Just sent an inquiry about a Plasmic and Matt responded suggesting a behemoth 5'8 x 21.5 x 2.7.

For reference, I'm 6'3, 190ish.

Obviously you internet warriors know better than the shaper, so what do you think? Slim it down?

Reactions: paunch23

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
well that seems spot on then. it's primarily a groveler and I think his rec's on the boards description says 4 L more or so

my album sub doesn't have volume listed on it but I'd put it around 37/38 and my normal boards are 32-33L

Reactions: bluengreen

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Just sent an inquiry about a Plasmic and Matt responded suggesting a behemoth 5'8 x 21.5 x 2.7.

Obviously you internet warriors know better than the shaper, so what do you think? Slim it down?
That seems a bit big to me as well. Talking to matt a while back he said you can size them up or down fairly well.

Im 6'3 185 and was thinking something like 5-8 × 21 x 2.6

My shorties are usually like 32-33L these days.

Depends if youre going for ultra grovel dims or more small wave shreddy dims tho.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I love my plasmic. I was after a similar feel to the RepriMander ( my all time fave) that carries into much smaller stuff. Really fun for small/average days in North County.
I'm 6' x low 190s.
Plasmic: 5'5 x 20.5 x 2.56
I'm guessing its around 35 liters.

Feb 5, 2019

Sounds pretty massive mate. What kind of waves are you surfing? That seems like it'll be 40L+

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I love my plasmic. I was after a similar feel to the RepriMander ( my all time fave) that carries into much smaller stuff. Really fun for small/average days in North County.
I'm 6' x low 190s.
Plasmic: 5'5 x 20.5 x 2.56
I'm guessing its around 35 liters.
It has a flat deck, so it carries a lot of volume out to the rail, right?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I am 5' 9", 180lbs and had a 5' 6" Plasmic.

I love the Plasmic, it was my favorite board. The board is addictive in its looseness, speed, and size. It is super fun. I really liked how it accelerates in the whitewater and gets you back into the pocket. I haven't noticed this quality in my other boards.

Owing to this, It was quickly becoming my DD, and was surfing it in bigger and bigger waves and then I broke it in high winds, big surf over the holidays. I jumped a wave, and the wind threw it back under me and my body landed on the fins pushing them through the board. I was so bummed. As soon as I got to my truck, I ordered a replacement ASAP.

Owing to impatience of waiting, and surfing longer boards with more volume, I was debating 5' 7" and 5' 8" they had in stock over the weekend. Of course they sold out immediately while stuck in analysis paralysis - haha!

I think the board can go in a lot of different directions and be fun, hence me considering sizing up even more.

I do trust Matt. I now have 3 boards from him all very different, and all super fun. I send him diatribes of my surfing, what I am feeling and not feeling, looking for etc, and then trust his recommendations.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you get!

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I know, right? This is for groveling short period windswells at Bay Area, CA beach breaks.

Should I not have mentioned the Rasta Wavestorm was my daily driver? He must not get Erbb humor.
He seems to have a strong connection(s) to The Beach, through one local crew I know of and team type guys at least. I have assumed he knows what will work here, which many socal shapers just don't get IMHO.

I would just tell him those #'s seem like a boat.

Reactions: bluengreen

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I really like mine also.
5'9x175, went with a 5'3x20, which has more than enough volume in there. it's such a playful board, but is my shortest board ever. length does help a lot when paddling. my fishes for example are 5'6 and they get into waves earlier than this 5'3".
food for thought....

Reactions: Aruka and scdad