Album Surfboards

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I went to the local shop that had a few Twinsmen and Lightbenders on the racks to check them out today. Twinsmen had a nice outline and the concave felt great (I like pronounced concave) but they were pretty thick. I'm thinking of getting a round tail one thinned out and stretched a touch longer (to account for the tail and less thickness). The Lightbender felt lovely under the arm, was very tempted.
Dont let the thickness deter you. Mine feels thicker than any board I've ever owned but Matt pushed me in that direction. The rail profile does magic to engage the rails. I'd have never bought mine off the rack, but wouldnt have it any other way now that I've been riding it for the past 6 months.
On the opposite end of the spectrum is my Akila wing twin. The knifiest rails i've ever felt. Again, I'd have never bought the board off the rack-thinking it was too aggressive for my size. I went with his recommendation and it's also one of my favorites. Carries much more volume than the foil reflects.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
So how well does the Lightbender grovel? Anyone able to report? Need to find a spot to fit it in the quiver after passing the under arm test.

Reactions: j_mac

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So how well does the Lightbender grovel? Anyone able to report? Need to find a spot to fit it in the quiver after passing the under arm test.
I'd call it a moderately good groveler. It's no Puddle Jumper/Fling, etc. but I've ridden mine is some pretty meager mushburgers and had a good time. Steep little beachies it goes great. The rocker is low so once it gets going it carries speed well over flat spots but it doesn't have the super fat tail of a full on groveler to make the most out of absolutely tiny waves.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
The asym Josh is riding is the twin version of the quad Sebastian Williams used in the Stab High contest and what I posted him riding earlier in the thread. It can be ordered now, just order a Twinsman, but put in the notes "Sebastian Williams" and if you want it as a twin or quad.

Last edited:

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Oh, I can fill in the blanks here. The most fun can be had around waist-high +.... you can grovel more or less depending on your sizing and skill. It's the kind of board I grab even if it's a bit too small or weak for the board's range, since you get it so dialed, you'll start thinking you can make it work in knee-high slop because your local reef has this little steep section, and then you have to remind yourself that there aren't any actual waves, and you are projecting the conditions you want to ride, not what actually exists.

If you want a proper groveler to fill in your bottom end, but retain some range, I think Matt et al would suggest the plasmic.

I'd say that even if you have a DD you enjoy, a lightblender will take over the middle of your quiver... it's so fun in so many conditions, and super-easy to connect with. Makes me look a bit better than I am, I think. /fanboi rant

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Just ordered a Varial Lightbender and Twinsman pintail. $100 cheaper than their PU . Ride reports when I get 'em.
Did you go through album to initiate or direct through varial? Noticed most models aren’t on their site.

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
I have a 7'0 Darkness, a 6'0 Twinsman RT and a 6'10 Townsend twin on order. The Darkness is my cheater, longboard replacement. Super super fun board that actually has a decent wave range. I've taken it out on some of the bigger days last week and had a blast.

The 6'0 Twinsman RT is magic but I need to dial it in more. I'm outta surf shape due to being dry for the past 4 years (living in upstate NY) not that I was ever a great surfer. But the waves I have caught on the Twinsman RT when things clicked have been amazing. I wouldn't say it's purely a "step up". Have surfed it in chest high waves with some push and it goes well. Butter smooth, effortless speed. All waves so far have been backside. Using the NVS upright twins.

My Plasmic up for sale is very fun, just feels too small for me at the level I'm at now. I've had a couple of good sessions and few not so good. It's 100% me, not the board. I still have my OG Manta (9 years old!) that covers the low end. Love that board.

Really looking forward to the Townsend. Highly recommend an Album. Matt is a pleasure to work with on dialing in boards and a super good dude.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Did you go through album to initiate or direct through varial? Noticed most models aren’t on their site.
I emailed through their site. Got connected with Paul, their sales and marketing manager. He said theyre regularly in touch with Matt and can do any of their boards. Other Album's should be on the Varial site near the end of this month.

Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I emailed through their site. Got connected with Paul, their sales and marketing manager. He said theyre regularly in touch with Matt and can do any of their boards. Other Album's should be on the Varial site near the end of this month.
I don't understand how it's cheaper. The stock ones in my local shop were a little cheaper than album's site too. seems odd.