Album Surfboards

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
He's had a bunch of boards on the walls as decoration at the Ritz-Carlton's Laguna Niguel location. My wife has commented how pretty the were when we've done some stay-cations there. I mentioned that they were more than I usually pay for boards but she seems cool with it for some reason. Time to order a new sled!

Reactions: redrider

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
she pretty much just told you to order an entire album quiver
I know! I've been a couple clicks away several times from getting a Disasym (now Disorder), but I kind of feel like I want to demo one before committing. I could definitely see myself with a: Disorder, Insanity, Bullet and a Twinsman in my board rotation.

Reactions: redrider and JDJ

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I was surprised how much Hebrew I understood, despite not speaking the language. Tel Aviv gets pretty fun more often than you'd think.

Reactions: JDJ

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Townsend Twin Asym (XTR) report: Performs as advertised. Had it out twice, both tropical swells (east coast), head +, a tad junky, crossed up. Board is slightly smaller than its design is intended for (board is 6-6, im 6-0, 185). Gets in easy, which is primarily why I got it. Debated getting quad on heel side. Was talked out of it. Its not necessary. Only once did it slide out a bit on take off, and I tried to highline that one going backside. Board is easy to turn from anywhere you stand. She's a keeper...for now.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I cannot wait to sample mine!
I guess there is a big range in sizing with this model. Uncertain about sizing I shared my location and dims with him and he suggested a 7'6 (I nearly spit out my coffee!) sharing a photo of a guy riding a board about a foot longer than his height on a very gnarly bomb OBSF wave. We settled on 7' so I could fit in in my car. Interestingly the first vision I had when they sent that photo was stroking into 6' fall OB runner.
Another point of interest was when I suggested XTR he recommended Varial as the foam he likes best for these type boards (probably 6' 6" under would still recommend XTR, IDK), I was in, but they don't make a blank to fit my dims so poly epoxy was next best.

Reactions: Woke AF and JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have a 6'8" Townsend Asym in PU and a 6'6" Townsend round tail in XTR.

They are both great but I think I prefer the shorter one. Bit easier to throw around and I like the way it feels on my backhand. It doesn't seem to give up any paddle power to the longer one.

Reactions: chilly1 and JDJ

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Any thoughts on the Asym vs Round tail?
Yeah the Asym factor is noticeable. For a 6'8" it turns pretty sharp off the top on the forehand. I took it to Baja and rode it a ton and always had a good time whether it was waist high or DOH. If I was surfing right points all the time I think the Asym would be the call. Unfortunately I surf mostly beachbreaks here at home and while the Asym felt okay on the backhand I did feel like it wasn't optimal. Like it would pivot sharply off the bottom but then feel kind of stiff off the top. The Round tail just feels more normal and predictable on the backhand. I actually really like it in lefts.

I tried a bunch of fins in the Townsend's and settled on the NVS Album Fascination Twins as the favorite in both. I recently got the smaller just regular Album twins also from NVS and I really dig them in my Lightbender but I have yet to try them in the longer twins. I think for the longer boards it's nice to have a fin that allows for a relaxed approach where you don't have to pump for speed much. Depends on what you're into though. I never felt the need to run keels in the Townsend but I imagine the down the line drive would be crazy.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Yeah the Asym factor is noticeable. For a 6'8" it turns pretty sharp off the top on the forehand. I took it to Baja and rode it a ton and always had a good time whether it was waist high or DOH. If I was surfing right points all the time I think the Asym would be the call. Unfortunately I surf mostly beachbreaks here at home and while the Asym felt okay on the backhand I did feel like it wasn't optimal. Like it would pivot sharply off the bottom but then feel kind of stiff off the top. The Round tail just feels more normal and predictable on the backhand. I actually really like it in lefts.

I tried a bunch of fins in the Townsend's and settled on the NVS Album Fascination Twins as the favorite in both. I recently got the smaller just regular Album twins also from NVS and I really dig them in my Lightbender but I have yet to try them in the longer twins. I think for the longer boards it's nice to have a fin that allows for a relaxed approach where you don't have to pump for speed much. Depends on what you're into though. I never felt the need to run keels in the Townsend but I imagine the down the line drive would be crazy.
That’s interesting. I had assumed the benefit of asyms was backside as I have never ridden one.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Took the Insanity out for it's maiden voyage in some pretty terrible conditions. Drab twin + trailer fins. Waist high, closed out wind swell dumpers.
How you liking those Drad fins Aruka?

I just got this same set:
I only have 2-3 sessions on them, in marginal conditions, still honeymoon but so far i'm stoked.

album matt can surf too! been out many times at trestles where he was shredding his designs.
@Uppers yeah?

Reactions: Havoc

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How you liking those Drad fins Aruka?

I just got this same set:
I only have 2-3 sessions on them, in marginal conditions, still honeymoon but so far i'm stoked.

@Uppers yeah?
I really like them. Super lightweight and lively feeling. I've actually had them for a while and I was really into them in certain boards but they kind of got lost in the collection and I just recently found them again. They have more cant angle than other twins I own though and they can feel a little too loose in certain boards.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

I noted and appreciated your reviewing these before. I go right/frontside a lot so asym was an easy choice plus never had one before. I had considered going shorter but after Matt's rec and I have kind of been on a longer board trip lately (particularly at pointbreaks and OB/long paddles and walls where you can utilize all the rail) 7" for me at 6'4 still seemed short enough. We shall see, coming up Thurs..will post a review, may take a while, forecast lookin bleak!
EN was a recommendation but I am curious how a maybe different templates for front/back would go, ever try that?

Reactions: Aruka