Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thot it was funny there was an job posting for a new sander @Album SC.

Matt P be like - OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!
I saw that and LOLed. If there’s one thing he’s probably hyper aware of, it’s protecting the value of the "premium-price" brand he’s built up so effectively over the last few years. It’s pretty crappy that they don’t label a blem boar and knock off $100 or whatever.

As others have said, QC issues unfortunately common with all the glass shops RN with the insane volume going through. I’m having a custom (from another shaper) recut after the glasser f’d up. It seemed to be just cosmetic, but stocked the shaper was upfront about it and agreed it wasn’t up to their quality. I was tempted to just take it anyway, but after waiting so long, I want to be stocked on it.

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
$400 upcharge for a resin swirly job on a Twinsman. Looks like it comes with complementary sand-throughs and for the YOLO crowd that don't care, closeups are provided.

View attachment 111297
Not saying they aren't there, but how can you tell with that swirl? I don't see any obvious problems...

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
For what it's worth I YOLOd a twin fin ledge off the site maybe 4 months ago and the glass job was very unimpressive from a finish perspective -- fingerprints on the black bottom (i would never have ordered that) and bubbles under the hipster gold lams that weren't even filled with a color match to the board

has held up great and i don't care, but if it was a custom i would have been pissed

• Dislike
Reactions: racer1

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
As others have said, QC issues unfortunately common with all the glass shops RN with the insane volume going through.
You'd think so but I've had the opportunity to handle a lot of new boards over the past few months and seen plenty of good quality work coming out of glass shops in Oceanside.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
For those not ready to commit to the YOLO lifestyle:
please switch ur stance and only buy and resell regular foot boars. thanks in advance Mr. Steve! :cheers: :shaka:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Thot it was funny there was an job posting for a new sander @Album SC.

Matt P be like - OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!
Doubtful.

This is an ongoing issue.

Does he QC the boards? (because if he IS doing QC on the boards...well...lol)

His job seems to be marketing. Does he seem like a shaper? No. Seems more a designer. The story of his evolution is pretty well known. Laugh all you want at the hype on Critter's IG...Critters seems pretty similar to Album.

It's nice that he replies to emails promptly and personally but there are other world class shapers that do the same, and do all the other crap it does to create a quality product.

He gets a lot of respect from board makers not for his boards but for his marketing. It always comes up, as do the prices he charges - he's considered the ultimate example of the fact being highly successful in surfboards is all about marketing.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bottom edge of the right rail as it curve down toward the fin box. :shrug:
You can't miss it. Similar sandthroughs on my clear poly, both rails. Template was crooked as well. The entire board looked amateurish.

That's aside from the fact it was only half sanded plus resin bubbles throughout..

The only reason I didn't notice how awful it was when I picked it up is because the weirdos working in the previous "showroom" kept the lights off all the time.

But as we just saw lot of people don't pick up on this stuff even when it;s obvious, then when their board falls apart it's "poly sucks".

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Doubtful.

This is an ongoing issue.

Pretty obvious he doesn't QC the boards (best case scenario because if he IS doing QC on the boards...well...lol)

His job seems to be marketing. Does he seem like a shaper? No. He's not a shaper. IMO never really was a shaper. The real story of his evolution is pretty well known. Laugh all you want at the hype on Critter's IG...Critters is Album.

It's nice that he replies to emails promptly and personally but there are other world class shapers that do the same, and do all the other crap it does to create a quality product.

He gets a lot of respect from board makers not for his boards but for his marketing. It always comes up, as do the prices he charges - he's considered the ultimate example of the fact being highly successful in surfboards is all about marketing.
Where did he touch you?
%22southparkgif%22.gif