Album Surfboards

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I’m just thinking a 33.5 liter 4’10 twin fin might be a good addition to my EDC.

Do my best Mason Ho on the rocks impressions.
4’10’s are tough to get your feet set without having your back foot always feeling like it’s on the swallow tips. We’ve had a 4’10 INT Blackball Beater for close to 10 years. It has an epoxy bottom with Futures thruster boxes. We were given another 4’10 South Bay Surfboards Huevo that also has an epoxy bottom and Futures quad boxes. I can “kinda” sarf the INT when there’s a decent amount of push, but it flexes A LOT and it’s tough to do anything resembling a decent turn. The Huevo at 36.5L and its huge Simmonsesque tail is much more stable getting your feet planted, but it’s a slippery-feeling mofo. Not the deck, but it almost always feels like it’s drifting all over the place. I’m 6’ 175 and I think you being taller and heavier, you’d have a tough time on the Sea Skate unless there was a decent amount of push, and then you’d probably prefer one of your other borts. I keep them around, since they were free and they’re a good alternative for guests instead of a boog.

Reactions: trifish and Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
4’10’s are tough to get your feet set without having your back foot always feeling like it’s on the swallow tips. We’ve had a 4’10 INT Blackball Beater for close to 10 years. It has an epoxy bottom with Futures thruster boxes. We were given another 4’10 South Bay Surfboards Huevo that also has an epoxy bottom and Futures quad boxes. I can “kinda” sarf the INT when there’s a decent amount of push, but it flexes A LOT and it’s tough to do anything resembling a decent turn. The Huevo at 36.5L and its huge Simmonsesque tail is much more stable getting your feet planted, but it’s a slippery-feeling mofo. Not the deck, but it almost always feels like it’s drifting all over the place. I’m 6’ 175 and I think you being taller and heavier, you’d have a tough time on the Sea Skate unless there was a decent amount of push, and then you’d probably prefer one of your other borts. I keep them around, since they were free and they’re a good alternative for guests instead of a boog.
I ride my fish with the heel on one tail fin and ball/toes on the other. I can feel water flowing on the edge of my foot at times.

That’s why I crack up when people say those things can only be surfed laterally. Move back!

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Can you grovel at all on a Twinsman? Maybe if it were oversized a little?
Not the best thing to do.

I see a lot of over sized TMs on craigslist. My guess is that they had the same idea.

The one I just sold was around 36 liters, worked really good in good waves. Sucked ass as grovel board. By contrast my Plasmic at 2 liters less is way better in the small stuff.

I mean sure, if had a 7 foot TM that was 3 inches thick it would work in small surf. It’s just not a good tool for the job.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Can you grovel at all on a Twinsman? Maybe if it were oversized a little?
I think the issue is the tail rocker wants a better wave, more than the outline and the way the foam is distributed. I think they’ve done some variants meant to improve the low-end like the AP version (shorter, chunkier) but IMO an oversized stock TMST wouldn’t do what you hope. there’s other templates that would do better: Plasmic, vesper, lightbender (maybe lightchunk or twinbender variants).

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think the issue is the tail rocker wants a better wave, more than the outline and the way the foam is distributed. I think they’ve done some variants meant to improve the low-end like the AP version (shorter, chunkier) but IMO an oversized stock TMST wouldn’t do what you hope. there’s other templates that would do better: Plasmic, vesper, lightbender (maybe lightchunk or twinbender variants).
Last couple of surfs on my Plasmic was in head high plus waves and it worked really really good.

Reactions: SD_Dan
Jul 15, 2008
I don´t know if the TM oversized works or not, but I will not use my TM´s for groveling conditions.I agree with @Duffy LaCoronilla , I prefer my Plasmic for that. Although the plasmic can handle a wave of a good size without problems,

I have the AP version of the TM and the RP one. Both need some size or push on the waves to work. If there is not some swell.....it´s not worth it to take them out.

Reactions: Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don´t know if the TM oversized works or not, but I will not use my TM´s for groveling conditions.I agree with @Duffy LaCoronilla , I prefer my Plasmic for that. Although the plasmic can handle a wave of a good size without problems,

I have the AP version of the TM and the RP one. Both need some size or push on the waves to work. If there is not some swell.....it´s not worth it to take them out.
Yeah. It’s ultimately why I sold mine. It works in the same range as my Alpha Omega but the TM just isn’t nearly as good. Maybe paddled a little better but the AO is just levels beyond the TM.

Reactions: WFCody and chilly1

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I had the short fat twinsman and really liked it when the waves were shoulder high plus. It did pretty well in smaller waves too since it was shorter and wider but always mo better when the waves were decent

Reactions: Aruka
Jul 15, 2008
Im sure this was covered but how are the Bom Día guys sizing them - dims and volume - compared to HPSB?
The sizing of my boards:

Bom Dia - 5'8" x 18.75" x 2.4" @ 29,2 L
Twinsman (AP version)- 5'5" x 19.75" x 2.32" @ 30,3 L
Twinsman round pin: 5'7" x 19" x 2.32" @ 29.4 L
Plasmic: 5'3" x 20" x 2.38" @ 31 L

Before I jumped on the Album wagon, my HPSB volume was about 28,5 L. Hope this helps!

Jan 10, 2014
I’m 5’7 155#…I haven’t spend too much time on HPSB here in FL but they were around 5’10 28ishL. My DD is 5’6 RNF 96 at 29.5L.

Bom dia
5’9 19.25 2.44 31L…really happy with the sizing. Doesn’t feel like I over volumed at all

Last edited: