Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah it does come out slightly cheaper. They still charge +$100 for townsend, and they tack on an extra $20 for lengths 5'11-6"3, but they only charge $79 for shipping so it ends up about $60 less :shrug:
I’m curious to try XTR 10 also, but that’s kinda odd Matt doesn’t seem enthusiastic about XTR customs. I’m sure it’s something financial like sdsrfr suggested- I mean, their foam can’t be that much of a pain to work with. Asym Plasmid might be a decent XTR alternative as a stepdown cheater. Rocker is flatter, outline straighter, and rails / tail thicker than Townsend… but that channel is magic, surfing off the tail.
Varial would be my first choice tho. No delam worries in a hot car and no yellowing of clear boars tips it for me.

varial can do $30 shipping if u pick it up from album sc. just saying...
I wish you didn’t tell us that.

Reactions: j_mac and trifish

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I’m curious to try XTR 10 also, but that’s kinda odd Matt doesn’t seem enthusiastic about XTR customs. I’m sure it’s something financial like sdsrfr suggested- I mean, their foam can’t be that much of a pain to work with. Asym Plasmid might be a decent XTR alternative as a stepdown cheater. Rocker is flatter, outline straighter, and rails / tail thicker than Townsend… but that channel is magic, surfing off the tail.
Varial would be my first choice tho. No delam worries in a hot car and no yellowing of clear boars tips it for me.
Yeah I mean I'd be shocked if he made less money selling $900 pu/polys than whatever he gets from xtr but he probably sees those serving slightly different markets and a way to pick up new customers as sdsrfr said.

Asym plasmid is the closest I can (probably?) get through xtr but it's not super clear what they can and can't do. Shey said they don't have stock files for the plasmid so I'm assuming that means Matt'd still have to make a file for me and I feel like at this point if I go around him without saying anything its like asking him to screw with it lmao. Feels like I need to tread carefully from here.

How have yall been sizing the Plasmid? My Townsend is only 6'4" which is a lot shorter than most "midlengths" but I actually like the length and I think anything much longer would be too much of a pain to get in and out of my apartment, ha!

Reactions: j_mac

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
He made it pretty clear to me and some others that he doesn't like dealing with xtr's foam. He is on a licensing deal for his base models with them and doesn't want to cover all his variations. If Varial is covering all those alt's than I'm guessing they are taking less money out his pocket each fulfillment.

I get not adding the spinoffs, but what annoys me is he seems to have pulled some of his base models also recently from xtr. Specifically the one I liked the most.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I mean I'd be shocked if he made less money selling $900 pu/polys than whatever he gets from xtr but he probably sees those serving slightly different markets and a way to pick up new customers as sdsrfr said.

Asym plasmid is the closest I can (probably?) get through xtr but it's not super clear what they can and can't do. Shey said they don't have stock files for the plasmid so I'm assuming that means Matt'd still have to make a file for me and I feel like at this point if I go around him without saying anything its like asking him to screw with it lmao. Feels like I need to tread carefully from here.

How have yall been sizing the Plasmid? My Townsend is only 6'4" which is a lot shorter than most "midlengths" but I actually like the length and I think anything much longer would be too much of a pain to get in and out of my apartment, ha!
I've had two townsends, 6-6 round tail XTR and 6-8 Asym PU. Seemed like good sizing for me @ 6'3" tall.

I went 6-11 on my XTR Plasmid. I wanted it for pretty grovely stuff so I went longer. It works great for it's intended purpose. Not quite a longboard replacement but about as close as anything I own. It's a different ride than the Townsend. Chunkier foil throughout. Lower rocker. More back footed with that channel. I could see a shorter/wider one being very fun as well.

Townsend for me likes somewhat of a decent wave but I don't think it would take much for it to turn it into a small wave board.

Don't feel pressured into buying something until you are stocked on the whole idea. It's your money and it's not cheap.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
He made it pretty clear to me and some others that he doesn't like dealing with xtr's foam. He is on a licensing deal for his base models with them and doesn't want to cover all his variations. If Varial is covering all those alt's than I'm guessing they are taking less money out his pocket each fulfillment.

I get not adding the spinoffs, but what annoys me is he seems to have pulled some of his base models also recently from xtr. Specifically the one I liked the most.
Yeah he mentioned both not liking their foam and the licensing deal to me. I get not liking the foam but that doesn't seem like it would have any bearing on what models he could do, he's shaping one of their blanks either way. Or maybe since it likely isn't him shaping it his xtr ghost shaper is only trained to do the stock stuff.

But it gets confusing with things like the Plasmid which doesn't have stock files but is still listed on their website as a Plasmic variation (unlike the step-down Townsend). I don't really know where the line is?

I did consider the standard Plasmic and still am a little bit. But I think I'm really looking for more of a cheater/lazy day board than something rippy. Kind of like a longboard replacement like Aruka mentioned except I don't have too many issues competing with the longboards at my local even on my 6'4 Townsend so I don't think I need to go super long. Honestly around me when it's small most of the lineup are beginner+ on normal midlengths trying to figure out why they can't catch waves (case in point: Yuris videos :ROFLMAO:)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah he mentioned both not liking their foam and the licensing deal to me. I get not liking the foam but that doesn't seem like it would have any bearing on what models he could do, he's shaping one of their blanks either way. Or maybe since it likely isn't him shaping it his xtr ghost shaper is only trained to do the stock stuff.

But it gets confusing with things like the Plasmid which doesn't have stock files but is still listed on their website as a Plasmic variation (unlike the step-down Townsend). I don't really know where the line is?

I did consider the standard Plasmic and still am a little bit. But I think I'm really looking for more of a cheater/lazy day board than something rippy. Kind of like a longboard replacement like Aruka mentioned except I don't have too many issues competing with the longboards at my local even on my 6'4 Townsend so I don't think I need to go super long. Honestly around me when it's small most of the lineup are beginner+ on normal midlengths trying to figure out why they can't catch waves (case in point: Yuris videos :ROFLMAO:)
6’10 Dark Arts asym Townsend.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Dank Farts is waaayyy outside my budget here

I was giving your CI TPH Twin from the other thread a looooong look though. You get much water time on that yet?
No.

Where are you located? I’ve got three boards that need to be culled to one. The TPH twin is one of them. Would sell to you if you’re willing to wait.

Maybe.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I think I would rather watch him surf thrusters than the whole twin fin marketing campaign with album.
Even though he shreds everything, particularly the Bom Da, still it's better on a thruster. Is Matt going to bastardise his business here or are thrusters the new reto?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Really, What's the model you liked most?
Was just checking out the new XTR site. I see a custom 6’4 Vesper with color is $940...
Oh man. Gotta be strong

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Do it :p. Vesper looks good.

My favorite model is the moonstone. At step up length though (6'2" for me) but with some added width. More of a squashed down version than a mid. I surfed more waves with that board than anything else in my quiver the past couple of years. Box stripped out recently and I need to retap it :( Will be bummed when that one dies. 2nd would be the diamond tail townsend I had. Both xtr.