Album Surfboards

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
I think you're going to be way over finned with those R8 in the rear boxes, why not the AMs and whatever the rear fins were with the set you dont like, if you have o rear quad sets about. You might need to buy some 4.0 pr 3.75 rears and mayebe put the R8's in front?
Yeah, that was the plan. Was going to try both the R8s and AM2s up front to see which go better.

Reactions: sh3 and chilly1

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
AM2 fronts and controller rears....it took me a real long time to land on that combo but that setup has been magic in multiple boards

Reactions: jkb and j_mac

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
AM2s front, NVS rears - my favorite quad fin set-up, has worked well in a number of boards.
AM2 fronts and controller rears....it took me a real long time to land on that combo but that setup has been magic in multiple boards
Thanks for the recs. I'll give them a try and report back.

@j_mac are these the NVS rears you're referring to?

Reactions: menobrah and j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for the recs. I'll give them a try and report back.

@j_mac are these the NVS rears you're referring to?

Yes the ones that come with NVS quads. The AM2s provide more drive than the NVS quad fronts.

Reactions: Goofy_Footed

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
Yes the ones that come with NVS quads. The AM2s provide more drive than the NVS quad fronts.
So these....

Although I like the look of the fascination quads rears....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
So these....

Although I like the look of the fascination quads rears....
I use the Apex in my Ghost.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nvs album quads felt small for me in the Bom Dia as well. I went to am2 techflex quads which felt good but a little drawn out for beachies.

JJF L fronts, am2 rears was the set i settled on. Thats a bit more fin than i usually prefer for quads but this is a different feeling quad.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Freewing (5'10"x19.25"x2.38") - this is a fun DD that catches wave easily and has unique style to it. I am still figuring it out, but I like it a lot.

As there is not much out there on this board, here are some initial thoughts on it. The entry rocker is on the lower end of moderate. It has a deep single that goes into relatively deep double with a spiral vee. Volume distribution is very good, it doesn't have beak, nor the flat deck, but it does carry volume out to the rails but in a more performance manner, different than most Albums. The volume is also centered around the middle, and it is definitely a front footed board. The volume distribution is why you can surf this a few inches shorter than your standard shortboard length. Being this similar to my shortboard length is one of the reasons that makes it easy to surf. This is one of the easier boards to catch waves, while still having good performance. It took a little bit to figure out the fins, and it is opposite of what I expected based on the tail, in the end I found upright thruster fins are best. I have set of mediums uprights, and just bought a set of larges as I think this will go better. I think it will be pretty good as a twin plus trailer. I focusing on the thruster set-up for it now. I have gotten some of best backhand turns/snaps with the Freewing.

I wouldn't say it is a fast board, though it is easy to put on rail. It doesn't have that shortboard drive/rocker that tends to invoke more aggressive movements. The Freewing maneuvers with a bit more grace, and it smoothes out your surfing, which I think it associated with the tail. It has a certain glide to it that is uniquely different, and this is the enjoyable element of the board. Once you start turning it, it just starts flowing.

I have mostly surfed it in the waist to shoulder. I think it will go well in bigger waves.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Trippin on how fast my moonstone flies from A to B, only been a few sessions but having a hard time projecting off bottom and top for that matter. LIke I'm going so fast but cant set into a turn. I know that's mostly what a fish is about but I'm pretty certain a fin change could tune this tremendously. What are you Moostoners on?

Using these per Matt:

My biggest other fins are ENs, Rasta Keels,

these Ashers

and these Christiansen keels

https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/chris-c-keel-esp-single-tab-black-white

None are really like kind base and height from the recommended Albums tho

Thanks!

Last edited:

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Try the 5.79s. Here’s something I posted from a while back when I was trying to dial my Moonie in. Mine’s only a 6’2 though unlike others who ride it longer.

“The first night I rode it with the Shapers 5.55 and, while plenty fast, I felt like they were a bit too tracky and didn’t have the pivot I was looking for. The board has plenty of built in speed and paddles like a dream so I was looking to compliment that with pivot to get in the lip a little quicker/easier. Second night I put in a set of the Shapers 5.59 and eureka! the board did exactly what I wanted it to. I’m still adjusting to the length, but when I get it right (back foot all the way back) it feels incredibly nimble. Im hooked.”

Reactions: j_mac and chilly1

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Trippin on how fast my moonstone flies from A to B, only been a few sessions but having a hard time projecting off bottom and top for that matter. LIke I'm going so fast but cant set into a turn. I know that's mostly what a fish is about but I'm pretty certain a fin change could tune this tremendously. What are you Moostoners on?

Using these per Matt:

these Ashers

https://captainfin.com/collections/twin-fins/products/chris-c-keel-esp-single-tab-black-white

Thanks!
I have the album akali semi keels and the rastas

no problem coming off the bottom and wrapping a cutback with either fins. rastas will dig a rail if you’re not all the way back over the fins I learned.

haven’t yet tried any upright set but am keen to try the CC set.

Reactions: chilly1 and j_mac

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City

Using these per Matt:

these Ashers

Thanks!
If your sitting on some CC's, than definitely give those a go. I run those on my 6'2" and ran them also on the 6'8" I had. Perfect pairing for me.

Reactions: chilly1 and j_mac

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010

Using these per Matt:

these Ashers

Thanks!
Thanks!!

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I had kind of a weird experience communicating with Matt about a board order I figured I'd share here.

I have been thinking about a new small wave board. I've been riding my Townsend a lot even in pretty small waves as I've been coming back from an extended illness and it's the only board in my quiver that will really float me right now. It goes pretty well but definitely isn't a grovel board. I like to have an alt board in the quiver for mixing it up but I tend to reach for them when its small as we only get good waves so often and I like to ride a shortboard when I have the opportunity. I was considering a plasmic or plasmid but I also heard there was a wide-tail step-down townsend file so I reached out to Matt. I was hoping to order through XTR as I'd like to try their 10 foam and it's been a minute since I've gotten a board from them.

We exchanged a couple emails and Matt was very responsive and steered me to the step-down Townsend and recommended something in the 6'0 - 6'2 range, but then noted he couldn't do that through XTR since it's too off-menu. Fair enough. I asked a few more questions about ordering and what could be done with XTR and he only answered my questions about ordering through him and ignored the questions about what could be done with XTR.

Then I asked for a rough shipping quote and if he could drop the +$100 Townsend fee since it wasn't exactly a midlength at 6'0. He ignored my question about the +$100 fee and they gave me a shipping quote that is twice was XTR charges.

I ended up kind of put off by the whole process. He was both super helpful and very careful in how he responded to push me towards an order that is outside of my budget. He makes good boards and can charge whatever he wants but $1160 shipped for a clear 6'0 PU/poly is just a little nuts when you can get a similar board with XTR/epoxy for ~$900. He clearly wasn't very stoked on me ordering through them so it leaves me wondering a little bit why he even offers that option.

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I had kind of a weird experience communicating with Matt about a board order I figured I'd share here.

I have been thinking about a new small wave board. I've been riding my Townsend a lot even in pretty small waves as I've been coming back from an extended illness and it's the only board in my quiver that will really float me right now. It goes pretty well but definitely isn't a grovel board. I like to have an alt board in the quiver for mixing it up but I tend to reach for them when its small as we only get good waves so often and I like to ride a shortboard when I have the opportunity. I was considering a plasmic or plasmid but I also heard there was a wide-tail step-down townsend file so I reached out to Matt. I was hoping to order through XTR as I'd like to try their 10 foam and it's been a minute since I've gotten a board from them.

We exchanged a couple emails and Matt was very responsive and steered me to the step-down Townsend and recommended something in the 6'0 - 6'2 range, but then noted he couldn't do that through XTR since it's too off-menu. Fair enough. I asked a few more questions about ordering and what could be done with XTR and he only answered my questions about ordering through him and ignored the questions about what could be done with XTR.

Then I asked for a rough shipping quote and if he could drop the +$100 Townsend fee since it wasn't exactly a midlength at 6'0. He ignored my question about the +$100 fee and they gave me a shipping quote that is twice was XTR charges.

I ended up kind of put off by the whole process. He was both super helpful and very careful in how he responded to push me towards an order that is outside of my budget. He makes good boards and can charge whatever he wants but $1160 shipped for a clear 6'0 PU/poly is just a little nuts when you can get a similar board with XTR/epoxy for ~$900. He clearly wasn't very stoked on me ordering through them so it leaves me wondering a little bit why he even offers that option.
if he is ghosting you before you give him the deposit, if things go further 'off-menu,' don't be surprised when the last thing you hear from him is "take it or leave it'.:oops:

• Wow
Reactions: Havoc