Album Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think I found the guy that was surfing the red AL-BUM! It was Sterling Spencer!
Its time stamped at 37:40 when Jordan Peterson talks about him riding a Christensen and then Spencer corrects him and says he rides only "Al Bum Surfboards" :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Plasmic - unless you’re proper fit, then twinsman.

I find it hard to beat the plasmic in a crowd. goes well getting in early or late. Twinsman in a jockeying crowd is a lot of effort.
I'd probably agree with that.
shorter TMST, winged LB, or Insanity (twin+1 for grovel and quad for better waves) could work too.
Regardless which model, I hear red albums goes best at BB

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Plasmic - unless you’re proper fit, then twinsman.

I find it hard to beat the plasmic in a crowd. goes well getting in early or late. Twinsman in a jockeying crowd is a lot of effort.
I have a Plasmic. It's a little flat, wide, and full in the nose for the wave I have in mind. Paddling isn't really an issue. I'm in excellent paddle shape and rarely deal with dense crowds at my spot. I just want something that will be responsive in the pocket but more spicy than a HPSB.

I was thinking either Twinsman or Insanity.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have a Plasmic. It's a little flat, wide, and full in the nose for the wave I have in mind. Paddling isn't really an issue. I'm in excellent paddle shape and rarely deal with dense crowds at my spot. I just want something that will be responsive in the pocket but more spicy than a HPSB.

I was thinking either Twinsman or Insanity.
Get a disco cheater or an RNF96

• Haha
Reactions: smithgrind

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
What's the best Album for dumpy waist to neck-high beach break? Something that will fit in a tight hollow pocket. Twinsman?
Where in the world are you? For me, the Twinsman excelled in better than average waves and didn't love to generate its own speed. My beachbreak zone of the bottom part of LA's South Bay just didn't provide enough opportunities for it to shine. If I was able to surf South Straddie or D-bah on the regular, the Twinsman would still be in my quiver.

Reactions: sdsrfr and menobrah

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Where in the world are you? For me, the Twinsman excelled in better than average waves and didn't love to generate its own speed. My beachbreak zone of the bottom part of LA's South Bay just didn't provide enough opportunities for it to shine. If I was able to surf South Straddie or D-bah on the regular, the Twinsman would still be in my quiver.
out of curiosity what is in your quiver? From this thread it seems like a plasmic is the cure all for most mediocre waves...

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I'm in San Francisco, CA. I have a 5'7 Plasmic, 6'1 quad fish, 6'3 CI Twin Pin for small waves. They all surf pretty good in waist to overhead inner bar waves, but the Twin Pin got me trending back toward more responsive boards. We've been getting some dumpy shoulder high days lately and I was curious about something short, fishy and nimble that would surf more vertically in those conditions.

Sounds like the Twinsman is not so popular around here.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
rode the dank farts album balance today. been awhile due to how much swell we've had. really dig the construction. feels great and based on how much it's been ridden it's basically brand new.

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
I'm in San Francisco, CA. I have a 5'7 Plasmic, 6'1 quad fish, 6'3 CI Twin Pin for small waves. They all surf pretty good in waist to overhead inner bar waves, but the Twin Pin got me trending back toward more responsive boards. We've been getting some dumpy shoulder high days lately and I was curious about something short, fishy and nimble that would surf more vertically in those conditions.
That's why they invented thrusters.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Sounds like the Twinsman is not so popular around here.
I didn't click with the twinsman consistently. I know some here like theirs. I had some fun sessions on it in quality beachies but overall it just felt a little too pivotal or something. I'm pretty backfooted and it felt like I had to adjust my surfing to be more front footed to get any drive out of it. For good quality punchy waves I'd rather be on a hpsb. They're just more familiar and consistent for me. I love my Plasmic EAST but it has way more glide and cheat factor which is what I want out of a twin.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
out of curiosity what is in your quiver? From this thread it seems like a plasmic is the cure all for most mediocre waves...
5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen twin in Varial epoxy, 5'8 Stamps Flare thruster in Varial, poly 5'9 Haydenshapes Psychedelic Germ thruster in Futureflex, 5'8 Channel Islands NB2 thruster in Varial poly, 6' Pyzel Ghost five fin (only ride as a thruster) in poly.

I have an incoming 5'6.5 Stamps Fuse thruster in Varial carbon which is epoxy.

I'm really front-footed, which is probably why I didn't click with the Plasmic. I swapped borts with someone that wanted to try my Twinsman and the Plasmic's tail felt like it constantly had a spa jet bubbling under it. The guy that rode my Twinsman is more back-footed and didn't love the Twinsman. The waves were pretty good when we swapped, chest to shoulder and rippable.

I'm 6' and 170ish.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
imo, twinsman, there is just a very specific sort of wave/conditions I prefer it in. its just not a throw it in the truck I’m gonna surf today no matter what kind of board for all of San Diego county.

have to remember, a proper San Diego quiver has 4-5 boards dialed for waist to head high.

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I had two sizes of the Plasmic and then got a squashed down twinsman. All were XTR stringered. Both models I most liked in shoulder plus surf but prefer the Twinsman. My squatty twinsman has plenty of drive when my back foot is right over the fins. I’d still like to try a plasmic in Dark Arts or another light eps tech. I think there is something about the plasmic demanding more back foot input. Mason Ho mentioned that too in the Ho siblings Stab EAST. It reminds me of the Tomo Evo a bit in that way. Both of those boards I struggled to size properly and ultimately gave up on them for other boards.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
5'6 Stamps Kai-Zen twin in Varial epoxy, 5'8 Stamps Flare thruster in Varial, poly 5'9 Haydenshapes Psychedelic Germ thruster in Futureflex, 5'8 Channel Islands NB2 thruster in Varial poly, 6' Pyzel Ghost five fin (only ride as a thruster) in poly.

I have an incoming 5'6.5 Stamps Fuse thruster in Varial carbon which is epoxy.

I'm really front-footed, which is probably why I didn't click with the Plasmic. I swapped borts with someone that wanted to try my Twinsman and the Plasmic's tail felt like it constantly had a spa jet bubbling under it. The guy that rode my Twinsman is more back-footed and didn't love the Twinsman. The waves were pretty good when we swapped, chest to shoulder and rippable.

I'm 6' and 170ish.
Do you notice any different in durability between the varial epoxy and varial poly?