Album Surfboards

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
This is what I did.

1.Emailed album asking how I would squish a twinsman down to 5’7 but with about 33 L volume.
2. Matt Parker emailed me back telling me the short fat twinsman is called the Twinsquish and gave me the dims I should order.
3. Placed order on xtr using Twinsquish as model name with dims provided by Matt.
4. Emailed xtr with order number and attached email convo with Matt to ensure we were all on the same page.
5. About 12 weeks later received custom twinsman for about $800 thanks to summer discount code
:)

took the board out for the first surf today. Too much tide and not as much swell as I anticipated. Still got a couple fun ones and left with a good first impression of the board.
Thanks for this! Interested to hear your thoughts after you get more time on it.

Reactions: SD_Dan

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Thanks duus. I actually have a stoke 5'0 plasmic. Only ridden it a handful of times, so haven't got the full experience yet, however, I feel I may have gone a bit too small on it...not volume-wise, but length-wise. The 5'0 just feels SO small.
have you tried surfing with your left foot in front and your right foot on the tail?

Thats how I do it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I haven't given up on the Plasmic. I feel it could be a great boar in slopier/slower waves.
I think these are actually the worst waves for the plasmic unless we’re talking at least chest high that eventually bowl up and race track across a reef on the inside.

I don’t much like surfing slow slopier waist high waves regardless of boar, so ymmv.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Does the Bom Dia's rails feel like a Twinsman's? That was one of my hangups with that bort. I really liked it in good or cuppy waves with some push, but wasn't stocked on the under the arm feel. I'm considering a pointy nose Disorder or a Bom Dia in Venerial Carbonara which is a smart recession move I think.
BomDia is similar to the Insanity in foam distribution and rails.

***this is from memory - can confirm later if needed
Bottom concave is deeper with the Insanity/BomDia than the Twinsman.
I think the Disorder concave is deeper than the Insanity/BomDia
Disorder seems to have more of continuous rocker, where Insanity/BomDia is more staged
Insanity/BomDia supports of vee out the tail, Disorder is flat out the tail

Reactions: ChaseTMP

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
have you tried surfing with your left foot in front and your right foot on the tail?

Thats how I do it.
:ROFLMAO: why would I do it the inferior way?

I think these are actually the worst waves for the plasmic unless we’re talking at least chest high that eventually bowl up and race track across a reef on the inside.

I don’t much like surfing slow slopier waist high waves regardless of boar, so ymmv.
Yeah, I probably didn't do a good job of describing the actual type of wave I was trying to talk about. I'm going to give it more time and try out some more fin options. Probably need to get it in some better surf too so I'm not over-analyzing a session in shitty waves.

Reactions: SD_Dan

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Yeah, I probably didn't do a good job of describing the actual type of wave I was trying to talk about. I'm going to give it more time and try out some more fin options. Probably need to get it in some better surf too so I'm not over-analyzing a session in shitty waves.
I thought the plasmic was really weird at first. took me a few sessions to get used to the squirt and get my timing down.

I jammed with the lightbender immediately but as the honeymoon wore off realized they tail is too foiled for the conditions I wanted to use it in.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Hey we tend to ride similar dims. Would you change anything on a stock 5'5 plasmic? I dont need it for micro grovel. My 5'6 feels really big, and I'm worried a 5'5 may still feel a little big.
@cbadsurfer you could take a gamble on this one :monkey: (not mine)

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Hey we tend to ride similar dims. Would you change anything on a stock 5'5 plasmic? I dont need it for micro grovel. My 5'6 feels really big, and I'm worried a 5'5 may still feel a little big.
Mine is 5’5 w/ width and thicc of a 5’4 and still sitting just past bellybutton deep in the water. I would not like a stonk 5’5, imo.

maybe go custom. doing it again id probably thin out a little more but wouldn’t go any shorter in length as I’m 6’2.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Mine is 5’5 w/ width and thicc of a 5’4 and still sitting just past bellybutton deep in the water. I would not like a stonk 5’5, imo.

maybe go custom. doing it again id probably thin out a little more but wouldn’t go any shorter in length as I’m 6’2.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. How much do you weigh? Im 6'1 190ish.

I did already hit that guy up with the 5'4 plasmic. I may end up trying it out, but a stringered 8.0 sounds stiff and its kinda yellowed and dinged up.

Reactions: j_mac and tedshred5

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Does the Bom Dia's rails feel like a Twinsman's? That was one of my hangups with that bort. I really liked it in good or cuppy waves with some push, but wasn't stocked on the under the arm feel. I'm considering a pointy nose Disorder or a Bom Dia in Venerial Carbonara which is a smart recession move I think.
Bom Dia has a beak nose, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think you'd be stocked on that foil (I wouldn't).

Ask for the jkb file on the Disorder, but with a hpsb foil. Mine has the flat deck and absolutely rips, but I will ask for a hpsb foil on the next one. If you're serious, PM me and I'll give you my real name so you can ask Matt about the file he made me.

Or ask for a Bom Dia with no beak and a hpsb foil.

Either way I think both boards would be a blast!

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks. How much do you weigh? Im 6'1 190ish.

I did already hit that guy up with the 5'4 plasmic. I may end up trying it out, but a stringered 8.0 sounds stiff and its kinda yellowed and dinged up.
haha…that’s my Plasmic up for sale.I saw it shed a tear when it heard it was called yellowed and dinged up…:cry: j/k

That being said here are my thoughts on it. I am your exact human dims and thought I’d be using it in smaller surf. In small waves it has felt stiff to me and not easy to whip around (maybe construction related or just my lack of surfing ability). In larger waves (all relative of course), but let’s say shoulder plus so cal surf it’s felt way more fun. I have wondered myself if it was purely construction related since I also had the 5’6 Plasmic same build which felt really stiff to me. This one felt closer to what I hoped for, but now I have that squished down twinsman that I’m testing out and I think that will fit a similar wave range. Also, I think the Plasmic favors back footed pressure and I think I weight my front foot more heavily. I was hoping to love the plasmic but ended up just liking it. Part of me would like to try the same size in a lighter build but the risk/reward isn’t worth it right now.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
haha…that’s my Plasmic up for sale.I saw it shed a tear when it heard it was called yellowed and dinged up…:cry: j/k

That being said here are my thoughts on it. I am your exact human dims and thought I’d be using it in smaller surf. In small waves it has felt stiff to me and not easy to whip around (maybe construction related or just my lack of surfing ability). In larger waves (all relative of course), but let’s say shoulder plus so cal surf it’s felt way more fun. I have wondered myself if it was purely construction related since I also had the 5’6 Plasmic same build which felt really stiff to me. This one felt closer to what I hoped for, but now I have that squished down twinsman that I’m testing out and I think that will fit a similar wave range. Also, I think the Plasmic favors back footed pressure and I think I weight my front foot more heavily. I was hoping to love the plasmic but ended up just liking it. Part of me would like to try the same size in a lighter build but the risk/reward isn’t worth it right now.
I should have known an XTR plasmic owner was on here!

I think it being stiff or heavy could be a big factor in you not loving it. Mine is PU and doesn't feel overly stiff, but I do wish it was lighter. I am also front footed, especially when I try to generate speed in smaller surf. I had a really hard time on the twinsman and lightbender in softer surf because of this. Ive had more luck on the plasmic even though it also calls for a back footed approach. I also got this board thinking it would be a good groveler, but ive had way more fun on it in waves with a bit of push.

Jan 10, 2014
I’m a gulf/west FL surfer looking at the plasmic as a DD or groveler ish board for here. I also would use it as a board I can throw in the car on a day trip to FLs east coast as a step down. sounds like this board is more fun at a point break but do you bros think it still fits the bill? sizing..I’ve read here not to over size them. I typically ride boards 28-29L and have no problem going short. Album recommended 5’4 at like 33L. I wouldn’t mind the extra volume for here, especially that I have kids now haha Im 5’8 and 155, I feel like 5’4 isn’t short enough based on this thread. should I do custom dims like a 5’2 with extra thickness and width? And last of the 20 questions, PU or varial?