Album Surfboards

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
Interesting on the Twinsman as same initial poor results for me. I am far from bashful on ordering 3-5 packs of boards. With the Album hype I jumped and started with a DA Twinsman RP. It’s “appropriately sized” for me and it’s been lackluster. I tried a few different fin setups etc. and doesn’t do anything for me. I thought maybe it needed a solid/larger wave so saved for a bigger day and had a horrible WTF session. Hasn’t been back in rotation since….but still finned up and waiting….
could be higher. the whole middle of the list was hard place. the asym townsend was my first album and look at where we are now.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Interesting on the Twinsman as same initial poor results for me. I am far from bashful on ordering 3-5 packs of boards. With the Album hype I jumped and started with a DA Twinsman RP. It’s “appropriately sized” for me and it’s been lackluster. I tried a few different fin setups etc. and doesn’t do anything for me. I thought maybe it needed a solid/larger wave so saved for a bigger day and had a horrible WTF session. Hasn’t been back in rotation since….but still finned up and

Interesting on the Twinsman as same initial poor results for me. I am far from bashful on ordering 3-5 packs of boards. With the Album hype I jumped and started with a DA Twinsman RP. It’s “appropriately sized” for me and it’s been lackluster. I tried a few different fin setups etc. and doesn’t do anything for me. I thought maybe it needed a solid/larger wave so saved for a bigger day and had a horrible WTF session. Hasn’t been back in rotation since….but still finned up and ready for me to motivate.
My da twinsman had noticeably more tail rocker than my varial one does. Tbh i feel like it was warped or something. The varial feels much more reasonable and more in line with other albums ive owned. The 5-10 varial twinsman is a fun board. I just havent ridden it a ton because i have way too many boards.

Reactions: oeste858

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
My da twinsman had noticeably more tail rocker than my varial one does. Tbh i feel like it was warped or something. The varial feels much more reasonable and more in line with other albums ive owned. The 5-10 varial twinsman is a fun board. I just havent ridden it a ton because i have way too many boards.
Cool insight thank you. I am traveling but will have a look when I get back. The Twinsman didn’t make the bag…not even considered at this point. But I share the same affliction of way too many…or too few when on a computer dreaming of sessions.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I want an Album back in my life. My 5’6 Twinsman’s low end left a lot to be desired. Any downside going for a pointy nose Disorder rather than the asym nose? I think the asym nose would bug me. Even the stupid offset carbon thread line on my early Chilli’s bugged.
No downside whatsoever with the pointy nose, except for the price of going "custom unlimited."

This has to be the fastest board out of the gate I've ever owned. Such an addictive feeling.

I can't get off the thing.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Somebody needs to Bom Dia it and report back

Made a “safe” YOLO and picked up some Britt Merrick Twins to try in the 6’6 Moonstone… hoping they’re the elusive mix between a keel and an upright

View attachment 141273
That template looks good. If it doesn't work out though, the Burch template is that elusive template. It really is the perfect balance between an upright twin and a keel.

Tried to get a hold of Burch (using multiple channels) to buy another set but never heard back. So I'm having NVS make me a set. If you want me to send you a scan of the template so you can have a set made too, let me know.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Somebody needs to Bom Dia it and report back

Made a “safe” YOLO and picked up some Britt Merrick Twins to try in the 6’6 Moonstone… hoping they’re the elusive mix between a keel and an upright

View attachment 141273
My custom BomDia finally arrives tomorrow. I am curious to see how it goes. I went with longer length with it.

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
So my favorite board is the 5' 9" Bullet Twin...Matt was suggesting taking those dimensions and either getting it in Dark Arts or Varial. Any recommendations or material?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
That template looks good. If it doesn't work out though, the Burch template is that elusive template. It really is the perfect balance between an upright twin and a keel.

Tried to get a hold of Burch (using multiple channels) to buy another set but never heard back. So I'm having NVS make me a set. If you want me to send you a scan of the template so you can have a set made too, let me know.

NVS will make “custom” fins???

Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

Group buy? Pleasssseeeee

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So my favorite board is the 5' 9" Bullet Twin...Matt was suggesting taking those dimensions and either getting it in Dark Arts or Varial. Any recommendations or material?
Bullet Twin is a sick one. Unlike the Twinsman there was never any adjustment for me. The thing just works. Yours is a round tail too?

I would do Varial Carbon over Dark Arts for sure. I like Dark Arts and I think they might have a better finish aesthetically but Varial foam is just a better core than EPS. IMO.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Bullet Twin is a sick one. Unlike the Twinsman there was never any adjustment for me. The thing just works. Yours is a round tail too?

I would do Varial Carbon over Dark Arts for sure. I like Dark Arts and I think they might have a better finish aesthetically but Varial foam is just a better core than EPS. IMO.
@j_mac Agree. I haven't ridden DA much, but something about the extreme light weight and feel underfoot seems like it's better suited for smaller waves /groveler. It's very responsive, but almost feels too light for bigger swell IMHO. I bet SBD can describe it better based on his DA Album Sub/Balance graveler (which is damn fun).

The varials I have now are my current favorite builds. The foam just feels natural, nothing weird to adjust to, not too light. Seems like it does fine as waves get bigger too. If I can ever get over the sticker shock, varial carbon is the next build I want to try, based on feedback from Ruker, MrSteve and others.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Group buy? Pleasssseeeee
I'm having them make me an asym set.

I have no problem adding more asym sets to the order or having them make a few twin sets for those who want them.

Anyone can shoot me a PM if you want something so we can get an idea of how many sets to order.

It was going to be around $140 for my own custom set (3 fins). Hopefully we can get the price down a little by adding multiple sets. Price may be a little lower if you're just getting 2 fins. I can ask.

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I'm having them make me an asym set.

I have no problem adding more asym sets to the order or having them make a few twin sets for those who want them.

Anyone can shoot me a PM if you want something so we can get an idea of how many sets to order.

It was going to be around $140 for my own custom set (3 fins). Hopefully we can get the price down a little by adding multiple sets. Price may be a little lower if you're just getting 2 fins. I can ask.
I’m down to order a symmetric twin set of that template. Group me in to this YOLO.

Reactions: oeste858 and jkb

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
I think my squished down XTR twinsman is almost ready. Any fin recommendations? I’m hoping the fat version will go ok in so cal surf. With the waves on tap lately, even the plasmic has had a rough go of it. Time will tell.

Reactions: Aruka and oeste858
Jul 15, 2008
I think my squished down XTR twinsman is almost ready. Any fin recommendations? I’m hoping the fat version will go ok in so cal surf. With the waves on tap lately, even the plasmic has had a rough go of it. Time will tell.
I had only one surf on my Twinquish and used the T&C Fins. They worked perfectly. If I compare with the fins used on the Plasmic, I would say that the MF Twin will work well also on the Twinquish. I don´t know why, but I don´t click with the Power Fins from FCS.
I had a session yesterday with my Townsend with the Power Fins and today with the Britt Merrick Fins. I liked the Britt Merrick a lot more than the Power Fins. I think they match the board perfectly.
I think those boards like big upright fins (Twinquish and Plasmic) over raked ones (although the Plasmic worked fine with the Britt Merrick Fins).

Reactions: Aruka and SD_Dan