Album Surfboards

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I’ve always thought of surfboards as being two boards glued together at the stringer. One for the toe side, one for the heel side.

You have to make adjustments to stance/weight distribution depending on which board was primary. In practice you’re really just compromising.

On an Asym you can just set your feet in the sweet spot (HPSB) and just live there.

Where does the asym nose fit in?

Think about the 2 boards glued together. What they really are ideally is 2 anatomically compensated symmetrical boards. Tail cut short on the heel side gets a commensurate nose extension on that side. This way the two sides “match“. The effective rail lines are

Sym Nose with asym tail and you’re lopsided.

Now here’s where the problems lie. Making these things correctly so they FEEL right is extremely difficult.

Matt Parker has done the best job at it FOR ME.

Much more success with asyms can be found in snowboarding. It’s just easier to dial in concepts when the riding surface is stationary.

I got one of these awhile back and probably won’t ever ride a symmetrical snowboard again.

Haha.. first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pics of the snowboards was Peyronie's desease.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

old new turned new new :roflmao:

Reactions: SD_Dan