Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Been having a ton of fun on my pointy-nosed Disorder. It's been a great all-arounder and kept things spicy when the waves have been lackluster. Waves turned on yesterday and had an exceptional session on it where I could do no wrong. Was buzzing after that one.

Since this one is more of a step-down, I now want a thinned-out hpsb version of it and dare I say....... a stap version :oops:
Great to hear! What fins did you end up liking in it?

Reactions: jkb

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Would you mind explaining why you think it makes sense? I never gave it much thought, but I never fully grasped the concept. The tail I get, it’s always engaged with the water. But outside of pipeline knife drops, the first 8 inches of the nose is rarely in the water.

Not the physics explanation. More what it felt like vs a normal nose and why you liked it? thanks and appreciated!

Reactions: j_mac

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For me personally, I find watching someone surfing with an asym nose shape to be really distracting. I look at the nose and can't focus on anything else. It just looks odd to me.
For me personally I don’t give a sh!t what my surfing looks like. :nana:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Would you mind explaining why you think it makes sense? I never gave it much thought, but I never fully grasped the concept. The tail I get, it’s always engaged with the water. But outside of pipeline knife drops, the first 8 inches of the nose is rarely in the water.

Not the physics explanation. More what it felt like vs a normal nose and why you liked it? thanks and appreciated!
I’ve always thought of surfboards as being two boards glued together at the stringer. One for the toe side, one for the heel side.

You have to make adjustments to stance/weight distribution depending on which board was primary. In practice you’re really just compromising.

On an Asym you can just set your feet in the sweet spot (HPSB) and just live there.

Where does the asym nose fit in?

Think about the 2 boards glued together. What they really are ideally is 2 anatomically compensated symmetrical boards. Tail cut short on the heel side gets a commensurate nose extension on that side. This way the two sides “match“. The effective rail lines are

Sym Nose with asym tail and you’re lopsided.

Now here’s where the problems lie. Making these things correctly so they FEEL right is extremely difficult.

Matt Parker has done the best job at it FOR ME.

Much more success with asyms can be found in snowboarding. It’s just easier to dial in concepts when the riding surface is stationary.

I got one of these awhile back and probably won’t ever ride a symmetrical snowboard again.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
I’ve always thought of surfboards as being two boards glued together at the stringer. One for the toe side, one for the heel side.

You have to make adjustments to stance/weight distribution depending on which board was primary. In practice you’re really just compromising.

On an Asym you can just set your feet in the sweet spot (HPSB) and just live there.

Think about the 2 boards glued together. What they really are ideally is 2 anatomically compensated symmetrical boards. Tail cut short on the heel side gets a commensurate nose extension on that side. This way the two sides “match“. The effective rail lines are

Now here’s where the problems lie. Making these things correctly so they FEEL right is extremely difficult.

Much more success with asyms can be found in snowboarding. It’s just easier to dial in concepts when the riding surface is stationary.

I got one of these awhile back and probably won’t ever ride a symmetrical snowboard again.

Thanks for taking the time, makes sense!

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Ok but is it me or does that snowboar have the opposite nose outline of the disorder? One short side and one long, rather than “balanced” halves like you referred to (and kinda makes sense to me). Even a regular sym nose on than snowboar would be less lopsided, right?

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Is it me or does that snowboar have the opposite nose outline of the disorder? One short side and one long, rather than “balanced” halves like you referred to (and kinda makes sense to me).
Album board are not “visually“ balanced halves.

Balanced after compensating differences in anatomy. Long side toe, short side heel. Here’s mine, regular foot…

42116F1E-B978-42B3-B335-0ED0467DEC94.jpeg

Reactions: chilly1

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Album board are not “visually“ balanced halves.

Balanced after compensating differences in anatomy. Long side toe, short side heel. Here’s mine, regular foot…

View attachment 139812
Oh, interesting. I guess I misunderstood what you were describing. So, in that case, the sym nose album is actually a step closer to the snowboar than disorder outline. And you think the album disorder would be more effective if the asym nose was actually reversed (like the snowboar)?

Sorry if I’m being dense. I’ve only tried a couple asym tails and trying to wrap my head around the effect of asym nose.
:foreheadslap:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Oh, interesting. I guess I misunderstood what you were describing. So, in that case, the sym nose album is actually a step closer to the snowboar than disorder outline.
No.

And you think the album disorder would be more effective if the asym nose was actually reversed
No.

(like the snowboar)?
The snowboard isn’t like that.

Sorry if I’m being dense. I’ve only tried a couple asym tails and trying to wrap my head around the effect of asym nose.
:foreheadslap:
Keep trying.

:socrazy:

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
I recently got a FCS2 rusty the twin in addition to my FCS2 twinsman, so I got a few sets of FCS twins to try out. Sharing these comparison pics for anyone interested. The T&C look like a larger slightly more upright MR. The power twins are slightly fuller but not quite as tall as the NVS albums. I think the power twins are going to be the best in the twinsman.

NVS Album upright
T&C Twin
Power Twin

Attachments