Album Surfboards

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
No one yell at me. Not saying this means anything. Just interesting for 5 seconds
View attachment 137004
To be honest, this actually doesn't surprise me anymore. I've never been a channel islands guy in the past, and I wasn't thrilled with the boards I did ride at all. But the last couple of years, I've been really impressed with their shapes and they've consistently been the best boards in my quiver. If you want to/need to ride a full-range quiver; twin fins, mid-lengths, shortboards, and guns, I honestly don't think there's a better, more consistent, surfboard brand out there. Pyzel would be the closest second and Lost at this point, a very distant third. Sure, if I only rode HPSBs, I'd probably be just on Sharpeye.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Pyzel is at the top for me right now. They have a well-rounded range of board designs with solid build quality, and locally accessible. Maybe a little sparse on the midlength front, but that's not really my jam anyways.

...Lost in my opinion shines in the fishy/bro dims boars that you can still surf on

Sharpeye really great performance boars but to buy OTR you have to be sub-150 lbs or thicken up their stock dims by several degrees

Last edited:

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
McNeill upright fins that I got with my RTT have been working well for me in the Twinsman. Holds on the bottom turn, gets loose off the top. I’m a bigger guy though FWIW.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Anyone else see this new stap model up on the site?.. "Similar to the Townsend, the Lucent is a hybrid step-up"
6'6" Lucent
6'6" x 20" x 2.56"

Description
Stretched out twin fin designed with Asher Pacey's surfing in mind. Stretching this board creates a slightly narrower and straighter outline, increasing down the line speed with some added curve behind the wing for maneuverability. Full deck profile under the chest and up through the beak nose that sheds foam quickly into a tapered down rail. Added entry and exit rocker with a single concave under the front foot, transitioning to a double through the fins and vee off the tail. Similar to the Townsend, the Lucent is a hybrid step-up that can be ridden in overhead surf, but still has enough foam to perform in smaller conditions.

Reactions: j_mac and Woke AF

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Townsend's rocker/rails on a narrowed Darkness outline maybe. Your Darkness has pretty flat rocker right? @oeste858

I know that wing has some purpose, but so much cleaner outline to me without it.

Reactions: j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Townsend's rocker/rails on a narrowed Darkness outline maybe. Your Darkness has pretty flat rocker right? @oeste858
yeah, miniglider-esque flat.
Think youre right. This rocker sounds like it suits a bit more wave. Better low-end than Townsend, better upper-end than dankness...
They trying to get that elusive "one midlength that works in everything", but we all know...
IMG_0733.jpg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
sh!t, has @oeste858 seen this yet?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Plasmic board review!
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 5.51.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 5.51.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 5.51.49 AM.png

Me: 155 pounds x 5'9", live kauai
Board: 5'0" x 19.75" x 2.35" (stock dims, ordered from varial)

This board is insane! I have a whole new outlook on summer groveling now that I have this board -- the ability to make speed and do full wraps/cutties on really bad and/or small waves is incredible. Noticeable squirt and lift from the big channel + stringerless varial means my other boards (still twin fins mostly) feel sluggish. Works equally well frontside and backside. Paddles and catches waves super well for a little board (at 28L it's got more volume than my shortboards at ~26L).

Despite the channel it goes well even in chop and wind and it's a pretty easy board to surf as long as you slam your back foot as far back as it will go -- putting a pad on was crucial. Interestingly I feel like despite looking "fishy" it surfs more like a shortboard -- it really likes back foot input and being pumped, not just cruised.

The board has surprising range -- I took on a road trip through Northern California + Oregon this summer and rode it in everything from knee high grovel surf to head high rippable waves and it went great in all conditions.

Tried some upright glass fins first (Shaper Pacey 5.5") and the board was sticky then went to some honeycomb AMT (s/o Duffy for the rec) and the board lit up. Can surf aggressively with plenty drive but also get tail release when required -- will not be experimenting with other fins further.

This is the first varial board I've ridden a lot (maybe 4x sessions/week thru the summer) and it feels really good. Lively but not corky despite being ridden almost exclusively in sideshore/onshore tradeswell conditions here. Definitely has the trademark varial pressure dents all over (even on the bottom of the board from my fingers while duckdiving).

Get one!!! The way this board feels def has me interested in the EAST or a more stretched out version for better waves...

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
This video is hilarious victor does not looked stoked:LOL:Love how there will be a clip a victor ripping then goes to Yurin bogging and falling. Its the equivalent to women posting group photos with All 10s and the one fat chick that doesnt fit into the group pic

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
VB rips on everything and always comes across as being stoked to me. Yuri on the other hand sounded completely defeated at the end of the vid. Surfing next to a pro can give you some good perspective