Album Surfboards

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Oh hey I got one too. 5'8"x18.63"x2.3" Twin tho. The nose foil / rocker is totally reminiscent of a townsend.

PXL_20220827_020836416.jpg
PXL_20220827_161810513.jpg
PXL_20220827_161914002.jpg
PXL_20220827_161948725.jpg
@jkb loving that new boar of yours... I think the blue is hott. I bet she feels great in venerial. We might need to talk about traction placement on this tail...

How is no one marketing asym traction? How am I supposed to get full progressive surfing performance benefits out of my asym board with symmetrical traction? Do they want me to wear two symmetrical shoes as well?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Bro I think you are onto something. Ready for work, ready for play. I can see no downside to this.
View attachment 136793
Finally someone else posting some good foot shots! Took long enough.

I had pretty much settled on Knox twins in Oeste’s plasmic but sometimes I have wanted a bit more drive. Today I threw in EN’s for the first time. It def added the extra drive I wanted but was sticky in turns. It kind makes me want to try and GG my EN’s. But I’ll probably be lazy instead and go back to the Knox’s.

Reactions: jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Are you using them in your stamps twin?

I really like them but would love a slightly larger version. I forget, what re most people riding on their plasmics? I tried the album nvs twins and hated them, probably the most tracky feeling set up I’ve ridden.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Are you using them in your stamps twin?

I really like them but would love a slightly larger version. I forget, what re most people riding on their plasmics? I tried the album nvs twins and hated them, probably the most tracky feeling set up I’ve ridden.
When I still had my Plasmic the fins that worked best for me in them were the Captain Fin Elmore Twins

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
My favorite fins in the Plasmic (east) are the fascination twins but I'm a freak with a heavy rear (right) foot.

Reactions: MathDebater

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
New bort came in. 5'7 x 18.88 x 2.3 Disorder

Initial impressions:

A little disappointed in the color. I asked for a darker blue and provided a sample, but this light blue is what I got. I hate light blue boards but oh well, color is the least important part of the board.

Varial construction feels/looks really good. It's light, the finish is perfect, it was packed really well, and it came unscathed. Stocked on that!

Foil is a little chonkier than I'm used to. Flat deck up top with a quick transition to foiled rails. Almost reminds me of a concave decked board but the transition between the deck and the rails is not as pronounced. There's a good amount of foam carried up to the nose and down through the tail.

Entry rocker looks perfect. Exit looks a little flatter than I typically like but I will reserve judgement until I ride it.

Nose is a hair wider than I thought it would be but it doesn't look too wide. No big deal.

So it's a bit different than what I'm used to but I'm still excited to give it a try. It looks like it would handle DD duties nicely. We'll find out tomorrow, I think.
Checked the spot this AM and saw the signature JKB full-speed rail wrap in play, looks like that boart gonn surf you well!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Checked the spot this AM and saw the signature JKB full-speed rail wrap in play, looks like that boart gonn surf you well!
Thanks man!

Maiden session on the boar and I came away pretty stocked!

Had a couple of weird moments in the beginning with back foot placement. Some bottom turns felt squirrelly and a few other turns were really pivotal and almost out of control. I was thinking I might need some more fin area (and I still might).

Then I locked into a couple that felt good. One wave with a couple of crispy turns that felt really good!

I still wish it had a normal domed deck hp foil to it, but the board works so......

Infused poly Varial felt very natural. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing unpredictable either. I like the weight compared to my PU/PE boards. If it stands the test of time then it's totally worth it.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
When I still had my Plasmic the fins that worked best for me in them were the Captain Fin Elmore Twins
Looks like they stopped making those. Interesting on the fascination twins, I’m extremely front footed and have to make a bit of an effort to surf Back footed with this board.

Reactions: SD_Dan and Aruka

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Thanks man!

Had a couple of weird moments in the beginning with back foot placement. Some bottom turns felt squirrelly and a few other turns were really pivotal and almost out of control. I was thinking I might need some more fin area (and I still might).

Then I locked into a couple that felt good. One wave with a couple of crispy turns that felt really good!

I still wish it had a normal domed deck hp foil to it, but the board works so......

Infused poly Varial felt very natural. Nothing out of the ordinary, but nothing unpredictable either. I like the weight compared to my PU/PE boards. If it stands the test of time then it's totally worth it.
Very similar experiences with my first rides. This is going to be an everyday board all winter long
Ran Gemenis, my go-to first fin for albums.

I ended up wanting more fin based on my first session at a peaky but otherwise good reef.

I personally love the deck...

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Thanks man!

Agree the varial feels natural. no odd feelings and I love the responsiveness and light weight. just curious why you went poly over epoxy infused? Did you get standard glassing?

Reactions: jkb and SixtyGrit

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Agree the varial feels natural. no odd feelings and I love the responsiveness and light weight. just curious why you went poly over epoxy infused? Did you get standard glassing?
Standard 4/4 x 4.

I went with poly because I wasn't really sure what benefits I'd get with the epoxy upcharge. Since it's infused, I figured I was already getting a really solid lam. Are yours all epoxy?

I was expecting a bunch of pressures on the deck after my first surf but I only have two tiny ones where my heel and the ball of my foot are.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Standard 4/4 x 4.

I went with poly because I wasn't really sure what benefits I'd get with the epoxy upcharge. Since it's infused, I figured I was already getting a really solid lam. Are yours all epoxy?

I was expecting a bunch of pressures on the deck after my first surf but I only have two tiny ones where my heel and the ball of my foot are.
I believe the 64/6 Lightbender MrSteve “ordered” for me is epoxy, but my 64/4 Plasmic is poly. Maybe seems a hair lighter and fewer deck dents. But pretty similar feel.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I believe the 64/6 Lightbender MrSteve “ordered” for me is epoxy, but my 64/4 Plasmic is poly. Maybe seems a hair lighter and fewer deck dents. But pretty similar feel.
Checked my 'files.' I think the LB is poly, unless I changed it after the mockup i'm looking at.

Reactions: oeste858