Album Surfboards

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Why? And why not Darkness?
IMO Both fairly flat/low entry rocker and catch waves early and good for crowd killin and for planing speed in weak/soft waves and zooming around sections.
If you’re considering both around the same length, I’d look at it like…
Plasmid: chunkier tail with bonzer-lite channel is better for turns. Can be surfed more aggressively from the tail.
Dankness: glide for cruisin and swooping carves on shoulder. I surf mine more from the middle than the tail, as use it as a mini miniglider

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
been waiting for a 6'1" twinsman to appear...but have been thinking about how sh!t our waves are usually and wonder if I shouldnt get a 5'9" plasmic instead...any comparisons betwing plasmic and vs flying manta? if the plasmic has a higher top end - works well in chest high good waves Im guessing I should get it one instead of a tm. Looking for a board for our good days, which to be honest arent that great.
I agree with the responses already posted. I have a manta and have been borrowing Oeste’s plasmic. The manta has way more low end but tops out much faster. I think they’re actually kind of complimentary boards for the small wave end of your quiver. Manta for days you wouldn’t bother to surf and plasmic if it’s small but decent. The plasmic doesn’t need decent shape but the manta is a better mush buster

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I agree with the responses already posted. I have a manta and have been borrowing Oeste’s plasmic. The manta has way more low end but tops out much faster. I think they’re actually kind of complimentary boards for the small wave end of your quiver. Manta for days you wouldn’t bother to surf and plasmic if it’s small but decent. The plasmic doesn’t need decent shape but the manta is a better mush buster
100. gots to fill out yo SD gravel quiver bro!
As someone who just didn’t click with the manta, in those waves, I’d reach for:
5’10 asym symphony
6’4 plasmEgg (bluntnose, roundpin Plasmid)
7’0 Dankness
8’0 miniglider
(In deteriorating order of wave size/conditions)
Hope that’s helpful to someone

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
re: plasmic range - kind of like all boards once you get them out in their prime wave conditions it kind of gets boring in the other stuff.

plasmic excels on a wave you have some space to go places and zoom around, if that makes sense. knee to waist dumpy beach breaks are not gonna make you love the plasmic (nor twinsman) but a +100yrd peeling reef will be fun knee to hh.

I’ve had my 5’5 plasmic out at perfect chest to hh BB and loved it. kinda felt like bombing hills with the confidence of a foam pit tagging the lip kinda out of control.

twinsman would have been great and had much more precision and control. different fun.

i do think you should keep the plasmic very short. mine is 8” under my height.
Perfect description. There are better grovelers for sure. So far I have enjoyed mine in waist to head high so cal waves. Probably not much of an upper limit on it for most so cal days. I agree with going smaller on the plasmic too. All a matter of personal taste, but I would not go much over your normal volume, but that's just me.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I'm stocked on my twinsman, favorite board up to shoulder high or so. Got me thinking about a little longer one with rounded pin tail.
I got skinny 5' 8" Twinsman that works very well. It surprisingly has more versatility and works better than my 5' 7" Bullet Twin. I can't quite figure out the Bullet Twin, even though I have had great surfs on it and I want to surf it, it doesn't always click. The skinny Twinsman switch fins (rasta/akila) and can use it in smaller and bigger waves with more consistency.

With that said, the easiest board to surf relative to the Twinsman is the Disorder. The Disorder glides and pivots better. The last one Matt custom made me works. It has the most range out of any of my boards. If I just blindly showed up, this is the board that will handle it.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
waist high and hollow to less hollow head and a half high+
I hope it has just a tad bit more low-end range than that. My original 5'8 twinsman wasn't a great groveler but it was ok and this is 1/4" wider.

Agreed that the squished dims do look pretty sweet. This thing should be an absolute blast in our 2 - 4 foot inner bar beach break this fall.

I went back and forth between this one and the sweet 5'8 khaki varial round pin but ultimately decided my quiver is light on small wave boards and I needed some low end.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
What did you go for on width and thickness?
6'3" x 19.25" x 2.44" which is a little bit narrower/thinner than stock dims; I've found that I really like the feel of narrower twins especially when I want to put them on rail at high speed (also paddling less of an issue here compared to OB obvi)

I think my ledge is around 6'3 x 19.5" x 2.5" (no dims on the board) and it does feel really good, but as you mentioned above is not exactly the most rippy

Reactions: j_mac and kool-aid

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I hope it has just a tad bit more low-end range than that. My original 5'8 twinsman wasn't a great groveler but it was ok and this is 1/4" wider.

Agreed that the squished dims do look pretty sweet. This thing should be an absolute blast in our 2 - 4 foot inner bar beach break this fall.

I went back and forth between this one and the sweet 5'8 khaki varial round pin but ultimately decided my quiver is light on small wave boards and I needed some low end.
Fall OB 2- 6 inner bar will be a blast. Maybe even perf for the upper end of the (pretty fun) summer slop we've been served last week or so!

Reactions: kool-aid