Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
moonstone is super fun. no adjustment needed, just jumped on and it went. wants to surf more off the tail. can do nice fs wraps. want a shorter one now.
Nice! What size is yours? What size for shorter one? There is a lot of positive buzz on the moonstone, especially since @trifish got his. My interest has been piqued, and the more people that get these and love them, the more I want one. I am interested in short one - 5' 10" range.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
moonstone is super fun. no adjustment needed, just jumped on and it went. wants to surf more off the tail. can do nice fs wraps. want a shorter one now.
Moonstone is a stretched Sunstone?
How's the B-side action on that
Be cool to see that aside one another
Havok...gone fishin!

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Nice! What size is yours? What size for shorter one? There is a lot of positive buzz on the moonstone, especially since @trifish got his. My interest has been piqued, and the more people that get these and love them, the more I want one. I am interested in short one - 5' 10" range.
Mines giant 7’0 stock dims. Want a 6’6 now and maybe a 6’2 later if the covid kooks finally split. Has a nice whip in turns from spiral vee and increased rail rocker off the tail.

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Anyone care to critique my upcoming album order?

I am a 6’1 185/190lb slightly front footed surfer in my late 20s. My sweet spot is usually 31-32 L. I surf mushy reefs and beach breaks in north SD with the occasional oside session.

Right now I am leaning towards stock dims in stringered XTR 8.0.

Twinsman 5'9" x 19.88" x 2.4" 33.4 liters
Plasmic 5’6” x 20.5” x 2.5” 34.8 liters

Thanks for any advice.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I am a 6’1 185/190lb slightly front footed surfer in my late 20s. My sweet spot is usually 31-32 L. I surf mushy reefs and beach breaks in north SD with the occasional oside session.

Thanks for any advice.
Looks pretty good to me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Thanks for any advice.
I'd consider going stringerless or SL-C on the 5'6 plasmic, and SL-C on twinsman. Personally, I like the subtle spring/flex in weak to avg waves (So County SD reefs)

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

Thanks for any advice.
I'd go stringered 8.C instead of 8.0, it doesn't feel too light if that's what you're worried about, and plenty durable
Dims-wise, I'm the exact same weight as you and those are the stock dims I'd get in both those models too.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I have a 6'6 and would love a 6'2 for more peaky/bowly days

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I prefer narrower boards, as my surfing is more 3 dimensional. The latest narrower boards from Matt are magic, as he was able to maintain volume for paddling and wave catching, while increasing board response. I almost don't want to tell people how good they are :).

This is why the 5' 10" ish Moonstone at 18.6" wide appeals to me. I am reshuffling the quiver, and I have a gap in this length that would be nice to have on certain days. I enjoy my longer 6'2"x19" stretched Insanity (great as a quad) and 6' 6"x19.5" asym Townsend. The 5' 10" Moonstone would be longer and wider than my DDs and shorter and narrower than my longer boards.

Other than Josh Kerr IG, everyone that enjoys the Moonstone is riding it at 6'2" or longer, hence my hestitation at the 5' 10" length.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I prefer narrower boards, as my surfing is more 3 dimensional. The latest narrower boards from Matt are magic, as he was able to maintain volume for paddling and wave catching, while increasing board response. I almost don't want to tell people how good they are :).

This is why the 5' 10" ish Moonstone at 18.6" wide appeals to me. I am reshuffling the quiver, and I have a gap in this length that would be nice to have on certain days. I enjoy my longer 6'2"x19" stretched Insanity (great as a quad) and 6' 6"x19.5" asym Townsend. The 5' 10" Moonstone would be longer and wider than my DDs and shorter and narrower than my longer boards.

Other than Josh Kerr IG, everyone that enjoys the Moonstone is riding it at 6'2" or longer, hence my hestitation at the 5' 10" length.
Its marketed as a mid length, so i think its just more common to find longer lengths in shops and in the water. The shape itself is pretty versatile on sizing though and could be sized a lot of ways depending on what your looking for. I'd probably say if you go shorter to just size it more like you would a longer step up board. I normally ride a 5'6" tkf and my moonstone is 6'2". I could see myself on a 6' moonstone but I think on sizing I would want to keep it atleast 6" longer than my tkf. A custom sunstone starts making more sense to me if I go shorter than that or possibly a lightbender. I've had some discussions with Matt about sizing these before getting mine. Might want to pick his brain some when dialing one in for what your after.

Reactions: oeste858 and j_mac

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
It goes fs and backside equally well. Townsend does too.
@Havoc - this might sound like a ridiculous question but can you compare/contrast your moonstone and Townsend? Wondering how you decide which one to go with on a daily basis. Both seem to cover similar range?

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
Thanks for the feedback aruka, oeste and tedshred. I have been thinking the stringered 8.0 might be a bit stiff/heavy. However, Shey and Javier have both pushed me towards stringered 8.0, and the added durability sounds nice. SL-CK is probably ideal, but not sure I can justify adding on another $100 per board.

Shey did mention I could try a stringered 8.C with an added patch to the deck tail area. Has anyone tried this? I have a SL-CK red CI fever and I had frontsidegrabs stringered 8.C LB. I find the SL-CK red a little too flexy and light. The stringered 8.c feels pretty good , but frontsidegrab had an extra patch added to the tail because it got pretty pushed in.

Reactions: Aruka

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
@Havoc - this might sound like a ridiculous question but can you compare/contrast your moonstone and Townsend? Wondering how you decide which one to go with on a daily basis. Both seem to cover similar range?
in my limited time on the moonstone
1. townsend is more alt stap. fins forward, more forgiving to foot placement. needs more of a wave to light up. narrower tail, more foam forward.
2. moonstone feels more shortboardy. fins back, wants more of a backfoot approach. feels like more of a daily driver.
3. a wider diamond tail townsend would be epic as a daily driver also imho. that's next on the list...

i think a shorter moonstone is like an alt hpsb. matt's description in the videos on both is spot on.

i'm an old kook who used to ride thrusters but now took on leadership roles at my work so don't surf as much anymore. ymmv.