Album Surfboards

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
How do you like the the Townsend as a 4+1? I have Darkness and love it. Flowy and cruisy, but looking for something a little more nimble and Matt recommended the Townsend. I'm really hesitant to dive into a asym and just a little apprehensive in a mid-L twin, and was thinking of going 4+1 route, but might beat the purpose of the Townsend design? I prefer quads but have been experimenting with twins a little but run my Darkness as 2+1 and thought having an quad option and surf it more from the tail would be super fun. I have had a lot of Matts boards and usually super stoked.
The Townsend has been fun from the start- so far I’ve used NVS 7” Mako fin and some True Ames side bites surfing North SD max high tide days between waist to shoulder high that have been enjoyable. With the right fins I think this board probably has a high top end.

With all the good surf lately I’ve mostly ridden the bullet amd Insanity So haven’t been able to cycle through a few different sets of fins to see how they go.

I have the NVS version of the Seaside fins which I’ll try the next go out on the Townsend.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
The Townsend has been fun from the start- so far I’ve used NVS 7” Mako fin and some True Ames side bites surfing North SD max high tide days between waist to shoulder high that have been enjoyable. With the right fins I think this board probably has a high top end.

With all the good surf lately I’ve mostly ridden the bullet amd Insanity So haven’t been able to cycle through a few different sets of fins to see how they go.

I have the NVS version of the Seaside fins which I’ll try the next go out on the Townsend.
You wouldn't happen to have a report on the Bullet and Insanity? Especially interested to hear how the insanity goes in pumping hollow conditions.

Badger_Badger

Nep status
Mar 28, 2011
Wrong side of the tracks Leucadia
You wouldn't happen to have a report on the Bullet and Insanity? Especially interested to hear how the insanity goes in pumping hollow conditions.
I live in N. County San Diego so the Bullet has become my daily driver/ step down for average/ sub par days.

Predominately I use the NVS Album twin plus 1 and it is a great combo. The flatter rocker, width and volume under the chest gets you in early and the twin fin plus trailer has a ton of drive that makes beating sections easy.

Slap in some quad fins and you have more control that will work in larger head high to just overhead surf.

The Insanity also hides volume quite well and they have a bit of overlap on the good, but not great days. Usually if I‘m heading out in the morning and unsure of the waves they’ll both go in the car.

So whereas the Bullet has more of a flat deck to achieve its volume the Insanity has a beveled rail to keep it more sensitive along the edges and more performance oriented. I also ride it mostly with the Album twin plus trailer and then when the waves get really good it works well as a quad. I would not hesitate to take an Insanity on a trip to Indo, Fiji or wherever- it will absolutely perform on the good days and will hedge your bets if there are smaller days whereas a traditional HPSB would probably be lacking.

I have to admit, I haven’t surfed it on a really good hollow day at a place like Newport or Blacks, but I had a very memorable session at the end of the summer where it was dead dead glass and overhead runners on a reef. The Insanity went mental with tons of speed on tap and I could really feel the board up on a plane through the fin cluster.

I got the Insanity first and it’s been a magic board and since then I bring it in every time I meet with Matt as that is the baseline that all the others are scaled up or down on.

When I recently went to the new Album shop in San Clemente Matt mentioned a forthcoming Bullet/ Insanity hybrid that sounded interesting.

All in all, all of my boards from Album work extremely well as advertised and aren’t just marketing hype.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've ridden my Insanity in some solid tubes. It goes great. It gets in early and holds a line really well. It's one of, if not it's biggest strengths IMO.

Where the Insanity is lacking compared to a more normal hpsb is in weaker surf where it's narrow tail, low rocker and mellow bottom contours combined make for a fairly stiff and not exactly sparky ride.

Reactions: Toobz and Tomay

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I've ridden my Insanity in some solid tubes. It goes great. It gets in early and holds a line really well. It's one of, if not it's biggest strengths IMO.

Where the Insanity is lacking compared to a more normal hpsb is in weaker surf where it's narrow tail, low rocker and mellow bottom contours combined make for a fairly stiff and not exactly sparky ride.
Wow that’s interesting, ol’ mate in Oz must shape them (or at least the Asym version) differently. Nothing mellow about the bottom contours in my Insanity asym.

Reactions: Aruka

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
DLS's take on the Twinsman

Gotta say, I think this is a fairly unique take on board reviews, I like it.
Funny, the stock twinsman rp I bought a few weeks ago was apparently shaped for DLS. Matt said it was taking too long so he gave him one of his personals instead. He said the only thing different from a standard twinsman model was a bit of beaked nose David had asked for. I'll be curious to hear the pod.

Reactions: waxfoot

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Funny, the stock twinsman rp I bought a few weeks ago was apparently shaped for DLS. Matt said it was taking too long so he gave him one of his personals instead. He said the only thing different from a standard twinsman model was a bit of beaked nose David had asked for. I'll be curious to hear the pod.
You bought that thing right out from under me! I waited an extra day to think about it and it was gone! Gonna shoot for the RP version Twinsman in a 6'1" or so for next winter's mini-step-up though...

• Haha
Reactions: oeste858

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
First impressions: Album Ledge Twin

Me: 5'9" x 155 live kauai
Board: 6'3" x 19.75" x 2.5"

Bought this board off their website on the rec of someone on this thread. Have always wanted to try an Album, but wasn't sold enough to order a custom. I've always wanted a "step-up" twin -- I ride a 5'3" 2win fish and 5'10" 2win until going to a quad 6'9" 2x4 and wanted something that could split the difference or replace the 2x4 in a twin. On first glance this was exactly what I was looking for and my dims so I pulled the trigger. Shipping was surprisingly cheap (something like $80 to get to the islands) and board was super well packed -- good experience.

First under arm impression was really good. Slightly concave deck with super beveled low rail holding a ton of foam but without feeling boaty. Very pleasing outline. Some tail lift but overall really low rocker. Glassing was good but not great from a finish perspective -- super visible sanding marks and fingerprints (lol) on the black bottom, a couple blems, and a little air bubble under one of the gold lams. None of those things matter to me as long as the board holds up, but given the price worth mentioning.

Threw in some Alkali "small twin" (pretty much TA twins with inside foil) and have ridden the board in OH-DOH conditions ranging from super onshore storm surf to proper good waves. I now believe the hype! Paddles and catches waves absolutely insane -- truly does work like a much longer board in a small package. Have caught some waves, especially when onshore or with a little chip shot that feel like towing where I was standing up on a little board way earlier than normal. Really confidence inspiring board, even when riding it at the high end of the wave size it works in.

Once on the wave it just feels good -- nimble but planted and super fast. Chop or wind was not an issue. High speed section beater, especially when stepping forward and driving off the wide point. Def will be a good barrel board. Turns are possible but it's definitely not rippy, especially on the smaller side of the waves you might ride it in.

Excited to get more waves on this boar and definitely will consider another album after this. Super legit "alt board step up" IMO.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
The guys at the shop love the twin Ledge. They all said its their go-to proper step up. They also claim it goes surprising well on rail.

Reactions: oeste858

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Somebody buy this so I don't

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Somebody buy this so I don't

Or you could get one straight from Varial for $200 cheaper.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Or you could get one straight from Varial for $200 cheaper.
Yeah, I'll either do varial or XTR for a Townsend next winter. Can't say the recent XTR issues reported on here haven't made me hesitate on using them for now. I've always been an XTR guy so didn't really pay much attention to the varial posts on here. How does it do in better surf as a stepup? Chunky surf or lumpy conditions? Any downsides?

Reactions: Aruka

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I almost bought that but it's an inch too short, thus my recent 5'8" order from Varial. And they are like $100 cheaper not $200 from Varial.

I'm gonna get a 6'7" Townsend for next winter to compliment my 7'0", but I'll go with regular PU/PE. I dont think the Varial/XTR tech will go as well for the bigger boards meant for bigger waves...

Reactions: urchined and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If you want that rainbow rail spray and no wait, it’s gonna cost you.

so whats the cheapest route for an album?