Album Surfboards

Oct 2, 2021
Looking at either a 6'3 or 6'4 moonstone at stock dimensions but can't decide and not sure whether it matters....
6'3x19.25x.205 (35L)
6'4x19.5x2.56 (37L)
I'm 5'6 and 140lbs. I have a bunch of midlengths and love riding boards of all sizes and shapes. Not sure if going smaller is better in terms of making it easier (like a shortboard where too much foam sucks) or harder (like a middie where foam is distributed for ease of paddling/early drop ins) to catch waves.

Probably overthinking it as always....wouldn't worry so much if these boards weren't so pricey (not complaining as I love my 5'5 lightbender and 6'6 Plasmid channel twin).[/QUOTE]

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Looking at either a 6'3 or 6'4 moonstone at stock dimensions but can't decide and not sure whether it matters....
6'3x19.25x.205 (35L)
6'4x19.5x2.56 (37L)
I'm 5'6 and 140lbs. I have a bunch of midlengths and love riding boards of all sizes and shapes. Not sure if going smaller is better in terms of making it easier (like a shortboard where too much foam sucks) or harder (like a middie where foam is distributed for ease of paddling/early drop ins) to catch waves.

Probably overthinking it as always....wouldn't worry so much if these boards weren't so pricey (not complaining as I love my 5'5 lightbender and 6'6 Plasmid channel twin).
[/QUOTE]

There's a stock 6'3" on the site at the moment. Also Matts pretty good about answering emails when I've pinged him a few times.

Reactions: j_mac and SD_Dan

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
There's a stock 6'3" on the site at the moment. Also Matts pretty good about answering emails when I've pinged him a few times.
[/QUOTE]

+1 for contacting Album directly on sizing help. Super responsive and helped dial in my currently in production Palsmic dims.

Reactions: j_mac and sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
ok maybe i do like the CC uprights in the plasmic for the slow fast ncsd reef roller days.

belting out cuttys on burgers that would stand up for a nice follow up hack.
Slow fast soft steep reefs are my bread n butter. Plasmic & PlasmEgg eat ‘em up. Been loving the album x Shapers “performance twin” (black & white) fins in Plasmic & Townsend lately.
Not sure if I’ve seen the CCs in person. What other template would you say the CCs are similar to?

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I recognize that I am on the Matt Parker program, though I do leave the ranch here and there. Not all are winners (combination of either my or Matt's extrapolation along with my progression and preferences), but the majority are winners. Some boards work as advertised, some are much better than advertised, and a few are fascinating "surf crafts".

I would say YOLOing, where beggars can't be chosers, has resulted in some boards and/or dimensions that may not have occurred, where this has lead to new experiences.

I recently YOLOed a funky-colored, goofy, 3-fin varial, 6,4,6 glassing, 5' 10"x19.8"x2.6" Disorder (33L). I have wanted a Disorder for some time. This one is bigger than wanted, but close enough to go for it, especially with all of the other attributes. This has turned out to be a very fascinating board. The board is super fun, relatively easy to surf, and surfs the waves with different approach! It paddles very well. It feels like a hybrid between midlength and shortboard. I believe it is the parallel outline at this size, makes it feel longer than it is, while at the same time moves around with nice flow. It has nice glide, yet catching waves I find requires an extra stroke not sure why. On the wave, it turns, stalls, and pivots, goes rail to rail with amazing ease. It doesn't have the Plasmic gas pedal, yet with a slight forward movement it will accelerate. I put a small tailpad on it, and rear foot doesn't have to move that far forward to accelerate. It makes solid turns with wider range of foot placement, which surprised me, as my feet were forward a number of waves. On the wave, it is near perfect. It doesn't start in the whitewater all that well - not sure why. Still lots of cool things to figure out with the board, more than just dialing it in.

Though the wrong size, I am stoked to surf it and look forward to more surfs on it. I know it will go very well in waves with size and open face - this Monday looks prime for testing this notion.

The center line of the board is 5' 8", and the diagonal is 5' 10".

From this, I did purchase 5' 6" 3-fin Disorder as I believe this will also be super fun. I believe the two sizes will allow for differing experiences.

2021-12-10 15.16.40.jpg

2021-12-10 15.17.04.jpg

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Official verdict on my Moonstone: turd
Mine is 6'8" x 20" x 2 5/8"
Thing paddles worse than other boards I have with significantly less foam, and the rails look like they belong on a groveler not a stepup.
That is how my Townsend felt too...too bad about Moonstone, sorry.
Guys

This is a thread for people that like Album.

Reactions: chilly1

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Came across a 5’11 Dark Arts Twinsman today at a shop today. Man, for a high volume board that thing felt super light. When I come into a fortune I’ll have to try one of those.