Album Surfboards

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Yeah I mean it's a pulled in (slightly) version of one of my favorite boards of all time. I've had two. Matt suggested 2 inches longer at 5'9" and a bit narrower at 20.8 and same thickness. I can't wait to hump and wiggle all over our shitty surf. All that and my farts will be dank. yew.
I find hazy beer gives me particularly dank darts. YMMV

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Same. It's not a great wave-catcher for me compared to some other boars, but the flattish rocker and width in front third help it get the job done. YMMV. Definitely not my first choice in real small stuff but excited to surf more OH waves this winter as an alt stap to 6'8 Blackbird. Had one good-sized day on it last month and it was a blast.

@j_mac As an egg rider myself now (LOL), I'd suggest the Townsend ain't that close to an egg past the front half. At least the used 6'7x19.75x2.5 one I got has pretty foiled rails and tail (which surprised me) and surfs much more Medium Performance under my feet than the chunkier 6'4 PlasmEgg or 7' Dankness. All different but fun arrows to kill the crowd...
:p
View attachment 120060
Agreed :)! Nice boards! What are the dimensions of your Plasmegg versus the Townsend? How do they compare and contrast? Do notice the bonzer channel?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I have a moonstone that might be finishing up this month. Really interested in seeing how that compares with the Townsend at those shorter lengths since they both will be similar size and I'll have it over the winter months to hopefully get a good feel for it.
Ever since you mentioned your custom Moonstone, it has piqued my interest. The dimensions you selected are intriguing. Once you stated them, it was like why didn't someone else try this. It seems like it should have a lot of potential and should be a blast!

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Ever since you mentioned your custom Moonstone, it has piqued my interest. The dimensions you selected are intriguing. Once you stated them, it was like why didn't someone else try this. It seems like it should have a lot of potential and should be a blast!
I think it could work well for what I'm looking for. I had chatted with Matt some about it and he suggested some dims that sounded pretty good that I slightly tweaked. It has the potential I think to replace that Townsend if it ends up being more maneuverable for me. I like the outline and idea of it in my head.

I had ordered a longer 6'8" Townsend recently also for more paddle, but liked the idea of a diamond tail on this order to make the rails a little shorter and mix it up. He said they have been working great with the diamond tails also and looked pretty good to me from his pic.

1638460037813.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think it could work well for what I'm looking for. I had chatted with Matt some about it and he suggested some dims that sounded pretty good that I slightly tweaked. It has the potential I think to replace that Townsend if it ends up being more maneuverable for me. I like the outline and idea of it in my head.

I had ordered a longer 6'8" Townsend recently also for more paddle, but liked the idea of a diamond tail on this order to make the rails a little shorter and mix it up. He said they have been working great with the diamond tails also and looked pretty good to me from his pic.

View attachment 120107
what tail did you order on your moonfish?

Reactions: j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Official verdict on my Moonstone: turd

Mine is 6'8" x 20" x 2 5/8"
Thing paddles worse than other boards I have with significantly less foam, and the rails look like they belong on a groveler not a stepup.
that stinks. You didn't like the Townsend, either, right?

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
I think the Townsend was fine, just not suited to where I was trying to surf. Moonstone overall just feels like a weird board to me. I've got a 7'2" Vouch mid vish that's amazing, wide under the chest, pulled in tail, nicely foiled rails etc.

vs

Reactions: Havoc and urchined

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Official verdict on my Moonstone: turd

Mine is 6'8" x 20" x 2 5/8"
Thing paddles worse than other boards I have with significantly less foam, and the rails look like they belong on a groveler not a stepup.
That is how my Townsend felt too...too bad about Moonstone, sorry.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Damn thats a bummer on the Moonstone. Seemed like some have been stoked on it. I'll be getting mine soon from xtr hopefully but mines sized down a good bit. Did you mess with fins much? Seems like some are running uprights and others keels on it.