Album Surfboards

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
A lot of people find subpar work acceptable today and have no problem getting stepped on by the people they pay good money.

I don't know if that includes you, but nobody like to admit it anyway.

This goes for pretty much every trade out there.

We need another "The shaper got my order wrong for the 3rd time but I say nothing and I'm actually about to place another order with him even as I type this." thread.

This is actually apropos as I just ended my relationship with my many years mechanic. (-GG, out!)
why do you care about other people?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Question for Plasmic owners (The regular one, not the mid-length). How did you size it compared to your height? I'm torn between a 5'1 and 5'2, Stock Dims. (I'm 5'7 150lbs) Any regrets making you feel you should have went up or down one size?
I'll probably go XTR btw
I’m 6’2 and mine is a 5’6

Reactions: Jamby

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A lot of people find subpar work acceptable today and have no problem getting stepped on by the people they pay good money.

I don't know if that includes you, but nobody like to admit it anyway.

This goes for pretty much every trade out there.

We need another "The shaper got my order wrong for the 3rd time but I say nothing and I'm actually about to place another order with him even as I type this." thread.

This is actually apropos as I just ended my relationship with my many years mechanic. (-GG, out!)
I have four Albums, all PU, no issues.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Ordered an asym fish from Album a little over a year ago, with bells & whistles (resin tint, s-glass, carbon over the toeside twin box) and it came out exactly what I asked for. Matt was friendly and responsive via email when working out custom dimensions with me, and answering my design questions about a few of the other board models.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I rode Oeste's 5'7" at 6'0 210 and it was plenty of foam. Felt good for my height. If I were to order I'd probably go thinner since I dropped lbs but keep the same height.
I thought 5’6 would be too short for me (but yolo). It’s not. Board works best with my foot on the leash plug. Having a disconcerting lack of board in front of me makes it mentally easier to get way back on the tail.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I rode Oeste's 5'7" at 6'0 210 and it was plenty of foam. Felt good for my height. If I were to order I'd probably go thinner since I dropped lbs but keep the same height.
@Jamby SBD is lying, I believe mine is 5'8.
I'm 6' 0.5"(LOL), 177-182 lbs. and mine is sized like my TKF. A couple years ago I would've gone 5'6, but I don't wanna paddle that small a boar anymore. It feels chunky under arm, but I haven't had any issues feeling boaty/corky in the water, and I'm still waiting to have my first bad session on it.

I have four Albums, all PU, no issues.
Same. Just picked up my 5th(!) on Sat, Matt's personal 6'4 plasmic egg experiment. This and varial plasmic were used, the other 3 were new (unridden customs). Three are PU, all good to excellent glassing, etc. The 2 varials are excellent.
So that's my sample size. That sucks for guys that did have blems. Maybe the issues have become more common recently, I really can't say and no point in speculating.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
@Jamby SBD is lying, I believe mine is 5'8.
I'm 6' 0.5"(LOL), 177-182 lbs. and mine is sized like my TKF. A couple years ago I would've gone 5'6, but I don't wanna paddle that small a boar anymore. It feels chunky under arm, but I haven't had any issues feeling boaty/corky in the water, and I'm still waiting to have my first bad session on it.

Same. Just picked up my 5th(!) on Sat, Matt's personal 6'4 plasmic egg experiment. This and varial plasmic were used, the other 3 were new (unridden customs). Three are PU, all good to excellent glassing, etc. The 2 varials are excellent.
So that's my sample size. That sucks for guys did have blems. Maybe the issues have become more common recently, I really can't say and no point in speculating.
Crap!!!

Ok, well the 5'8" felt good, height wise.

I think there's such thing as too short as well (for me) and I don't really like anything under 5'7"

Will probably order my third sub next spring and still goes down as one of the greatest boards I've ever had under my feet.

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
two surfs in on the 6'4 plasmic eggy experimental thing. It's glassed like a mid, a bit heavier than I would order- cant help but think it would be rad in varial. But this Frankenstein boar is flat and fast.
1st session, I subconsciously surfed it from the middle like I do on bigger boards, then would have to remember to take a big step back to the tail for turns. In addition to being drawn forward by the round/ wide nose, I think I was paddling so far forward on the deck to catch the weak thigh-high waves, that I was already in the middle when I stood up, and racing down the line. Caught waves easily and flew around sections and through slow spots. My impression was how much it felt like my bigger Dankess with the plasmic channel.
2nd session this am, I consciously paddled further back from the nose. Still caught everything I wanted to. Was better positioned to surf from the tail, and had some nice lined up rights that let me carve and snap like that plasmic channel magic I was hoping for. Promising stuff. Just might be the crowd-killer / soul-crusher I'd been looking for. Plan to figure out what tweaks to make (maybe 6'8, not sure about the blunt nose or roundtail) and eventually order a varial.

Pic shows the outline vs. the 7' Darkness. Little different, but the flat rocker makes if feel similar. More time needed, but I have a feeling this one might replace the Dankness (which was an impulse buy for 2 used trade-ins).

Plasmic vs Darkness_90636BED-4B46-4929-AF86-E4505529EF51.JPG
IMG_7899.jpeg
Plasmic magic channel:
IMG_7902.jpeg