Album Surfboards

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Lightbender had been out of commission for a while but I finally repaired it and had a super fun session at my local today. JS MFC fins feel like a good fit for this one. A bit more drive than the smaller templates I'd been running but still plenty pivotal. I'll just say it, think I prefer the Lightbender to the Twinsman. I think there's just something about how the Twinsman has that wing and the rocker accelerating out the tail that doesn't agree with me. The lightbender feels like it drives off the front or the back foot and I don't have to think about surfing it whereas I can't say the same for the Twinsman which feels much more sensitive to forward/rearward weighting.

I also got to ride the 6-6 Bpunt finally yesterday in some overhead surf. It felt really good. Rasta twin+trailer set was a good call. Lots of speed and a fun kinda loose feel. The waves weren't huge but it was a big playing field and it took a lot of paddling to get one. I was happy to have the extra paddle power for and the board didn't feel overly long or cumbersome.
The LB / TM discussion is fascinating. I feel similarly, but I think the waves that suit mine are a big factor as well. The twinsman seems like a stepup that works in smaller waves. Just longer lines, and the rails really like speed. Lightbender for me is such a fun board for steeper, punchier waves, or just your more standard waves that require speed generation.

I'm looking forward to winter to really put them through their paces... Again. I don't totally get why these boards keep me coming back like day 1.

Edit: also, I've permanently settled on the album gemenis for the LB, and the Shaper Asher pacey uprights on the TM.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Thanks Chase, do mean you I should lean towards the 5'9 as you said your 5'6 at 2 litre more than the Hayden has heaps of foam and you would not want any more foam than the 5'6??
You ride/like more foam than I do at a similar weight. I like mine at 2L more than my HPSB’s. I personally wouldn’t want more volume in the Twinsman. If you feel like your Phoenix is on the edge of feeling corky than definitely recommend the 5’9. If you’re feeling like there aren’t any issues sinking the rail, you may like to go up to the 5’10.

I surf a short interval dependent beachbreak 95% of the time, so I’m happy with more foam than I’m used to. I find that the Twinsman doesn’t grovel as well as it’s beef would lead someone to expect, but it is much more nimble than you’d expect once you’re to your feet.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I piled on foam to my albums compared to my hpsb’s. always targeted “fish” volumes, which works out around +2-3L for a given wave type and it’s worked out.

anyone have both a lotbender and a bullet I’m socal? I’m tempted to go for that over a twinsman.

Reactions: hutchoman

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Serious questions: Why are Album boards so expensive? Are they that much better or is it just a matter of producing hype by making the same thing cost more? Is it just that they're the new black?

I really dig XTR construction and feel it's worth the extra I spend on those boards. I think Dark Arts and Varial are similar to many - worth it for the extra cost.

So are standard Album boards that much better and/or unique to justify the extra expense? The prices I keep seeing really do get my attention.

-sh3
Good shapes that appeal to guys that want to ride high performance twins & great marketing with guys like Kerzy & Asher.

Are they worth the price? If the demand is there than you can't really fault Matt on the pricing. Supply/demand. I would say in general shapers are under paid for the happiness they bring to surfers.

For me, its an easy decision to go with an XTR Album vs a PU one. I have a long history with XTR boards, they work for me well & hold up well. The lower price point just makes it more of a no brainer for me.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Good shapes that appeal to guys that want to ride high performance twins & great marketing with guys like Kerzy & Asher.

Are they worth the price? If the demand is there than you can't really fault Matt on the pricing. Supply/demand. I would say in general shapers are under paid for the happiness they bring to surfers.

For me, its an easy decision to go with an XTR Album vs a PU one. I have a long history with XTR boards, they work for me well & hold up well. The lower price point just makes it more of a no brainer for me.
I saw some video from a UK surf shop that had just gotten some poly Album boards to sell and he was talking tongue in cheek about how all of the visible fixes on it just showed how it was lovingly hand finished and added character. Ha! I'd love to try some albums but would definitely just get the cheapest XTR construction since that price is essentially normal price. Imagine paying over a grand plus tax for a poly board with visible defects. Maybe the ones that cost $1350 came out clean.

Reactions: sh3

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I saw some video from a UK surf shop that had just gotten some poly Album boards to sell and he was talking tongue in cheek about how all of the visible fixes on it just showed how it was lovingly hand finished and added character. Ha!
Artisanal
LOL
@sh3 are they worth it? That value proposition is completely subjective, but all I can say is that the ones I’ve tried are really, really fun to surf. At this point in my life, that’s worth more to me than a boar that is just okay. YMMV. There’s room in the market for all different price points.
I don’t think the guys who buy them at >$1k a pop are choosing between another twin or putting food on the table…

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I saw some video from a UK surf shop that had just gotten some poly Album boards to sell and he was talking tongue in cheek about how all of the visible fixes on it just showed how it was lovingly hand finished and added character. Ha! I'd love to try some albums but would definitely just get the cheapest XTR construction since that price is essentially normal price. Imagine paying over a grand plus tax for a poly board with visible defects.
He prob saw all the excuse making in this thread about the sh!t quality work and knew there was no reason to do it right.

Maybe the ones that cost $1350 came out clean.
Paying extra for standard work lol

"If you want your board glassed to a normal standard it's going to cost extra."

Reactions: sh3 and SixtyGrit

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
He prob saw all the excuse making in this thread about the sh!t quality work and knew there was no reason to do it right.

Paying extra for standard work lol

"If you want your board glassed to a normal standard it's going to cost extra."
It is really weird that quality workmanship has become a joke for them. I wonder once the new 'it' board/brand comes along will the sht quality glassing rep stick to them or will they just say that is in the past?
Good times never last forever.

Reactions: sh3

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It is really weird that quality workmanship has become a joke for them. I wonder once the new 'it' board/brand comes along will the sht quality glassing rep stick to them or will they just say that is in the past?
Good times never last forever.
Look at the Tesla model and this one makes sense.

Tesla has the most defects leaving the factory that sends new owners back to the dealership in record time. Yet, owners say they still love them.

parker is pulling a Musk, and doing a great job while wearing sandals and a leather jacket at the same time. lol.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Look at the Tesla model and this one makes sense.

Tesla has the most defects leaving the factory that sends new owners back to the dealership in record time. Yet, owners say they still love them.

parker is pulling a Musk, and doing a great job while wearing sandals and a leather jacket at the same time. lol.
I just don't get it but he certainly is making the alternative construction segment happy.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Album is mainly focused on "alt" boards. CI, Lost, Pyzel, etc are focused on making the best thrusters for their pros and while they all make plenty of fun alt boards themselves I think it's fair to say it's not their main focus.

There are plenty of other shapers who focus on non-thruster designs as well but most of them don't have Asher/Kerr level test pilots.

The main reason to buy an Album really is just how much it triggers Casa.