Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
No need to replace my varial for a while, but IF/when I was going to pull the trigger on a Dark Arts, I think a boar like this Plasmic would be justifiable (to myself): would get a lot of use, lightweight CF would be a plus for the waves, know my dims in this design, and hopefully would last for years.
@Aruka any complaints about how the DarkArts build surfs on your twinsman?
Yeah, I’d probably go for a carbon build if I had to replace and didn’t have any temptation from the latest hotness for something new.

I find it hides foam well to the point of future proofing with extra float won’t hurt you too mucb.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
whos going to yolo This board?
Already gone!

Some fatso gonna be stonked.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
How about a used Townsend for hobbits?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
No need to replace my varial for a while, but IF/when I was going to pull the trigger on a Dark Arts, I think a boar like this Plasmic would be justifiable (to myself): would get a lot of use, lightweight CF would be a plus for the waves, know my dims in this design, and hopefully would last for years.
@Aruka any complaints about how the DarkArts build surfs on your twinsman?
No, I quite like the DA builds. I have 3 now, the 5-10 SMTH Mini Demon, 6-0 Twinsman and 6-3 Inferno72. I don't think they ride drastically different from other stringerless EPS builds so if you like that feel, you will like them, if you are die hard PU guy and find EPS boards too light and lively, you might want to steer clear. I have had some very good sessions on all 3 boards and moments where they really do feel like they have a bit of extra spark but it also feels like I need to be on my game to make the most of it.

I did sort of hop on the DA bandwagon right as winter was winding down so when the waves start pumping again I could see myself transitioning back to my PU boards. I have one 646 Varial board on order and I'm curious how that will feel compared to a PU in bumpy surf.

I would say, if I was to go back and reorder the Twinsman I'd probably go an inch or two shorter and a little thinner. Or maybe I should just grab the 5-10 that's in the lineup of freshie Dark Arts on Album's site....

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Three Dark Arts (5'6", 5'10" and 6'2") Twinsmans up now on the Album site. May the YOLO power be with you!

For smaller humans, there's a 5'3 on the Dark Arts site and you'll save $100 ($239.50 if you're a first time buyer and use the 10% off promo) compared to Album.

Last edited:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Word on the street is that there's a No Salad twin model in proto stages with haydenshapes.
Smart move for him I think.

I'd be furious if it's not called that.
That would be very surprising if it’s true. Very few of the riders get credited with design influence on models and for an aging surfer that can’t stomp an an air* at Waco, it seems far fetched. I like Noel and I think he surfs extremely well, but I don’t see how his involvement would go over well with the rest of the team if royalties are involved.

*not that I feel that’s a prerequisite for good surfing, but the majority of surfers getting some sort of financial incentive on boards < 6’ can do them fairly consistently.

Reactions: MathDebater

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
That would be very surprising if it’s true. Very few of the riders get credited with design influence on models and for an aging surfer that can’t stomp an an air* at Waco, it seems far fetched. I like Noel and I think he surfs extremely well, but I don’t see how his involvement would go over well with the rest of the team if royalties are involved.

*not that I feel that’s a prerequisite for good surfing, but the majority of surfers getting some sort of financial incentive on boards < 6’ can do them fairly consistently.
I was lobbing one up for Frosty to T off on. Not sure he smashes the F5 button in this thread as he does in the Tomo thread though :D

paging Frosty... come in Frosty @ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I would love that 6’2” DA version, but my son is
digging mountain bike riding, so I think we‘ll be spending a few grand on those quickly here.
Haha, you're in a world of financial hurt if you're not careful :D
I used to own a MTB shop on the side, just so that I can buy stuff at trade prices.... and it still nearly made me bankrupt.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I would love that 6’2” DA version, but my son is
digging mountain bike riding, so I think we‘ll be spending a few grand on those quickly here.
Do they still have the bike swap at Sd velo drome? Should be one late october or so if they do. I use to sell mtb stuff there In Spring and fall and you could get some good deals

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Your son should buy his own damn bike.
+1 bikes are modular and easy to upgrade. Will teach them how to shop for used parts and appreciate the upgrades while doing it.

bike shop retail is another good experience and gives perspective of the power of the employee discount/pro-deal. anyone paying full retail on bike gear is a fool (or filthy rich). Pro deals, bro deals and used market are for the normies.

buy yourself a YOLO and show it off in front of him. Remind him if he doesn’t fug up in life he too will have grown man YOLOs in his future.

Last edited: