Akila and Noel

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
No its just Vee

I saw that when I posted this pic , but it is Vee in the tail .

This was about 10-11 years ago

I visited his dad Ben then and there were a lot of these Rasta - Akila machine cuts at his shop waiting to be finished .

Ben said some pretty funny stuff in that visit . :)

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

Where does Akila place the twin fins?

Looks like around 8.5" ish... (total guess)

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I'll bet you're pretty close, the boards look super high performance
but they look pretty forward to me. maybe with low volume rails to sink that works for his design

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I measured mine a long time ago. Even after adding canards, mains we're too far forward and slidey for my liking. More than 8.5" for sure.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Great review

But I really think Salsa needs more rail volume. Twins that are really loose surf better with rails that have some built in stability

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I measured mine a long time ago. Even after adding canards, mains we're too far forward and slidey for my liking. More than 8.5" for sure.
Measured mine at 9”. Been loving it. Just gotta adjust how you surf. More full rail engagement, which is always good for my surfing

Reactions: retodd and Mr J

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Anyone have experience on Akila's boards in EPS builds? I prefer it on my small wave boards, so I asked for it on my Contemporary Fish. But then just saw Noel's review of the Modern Fish where he said the springiness was inconsistent on the standard EPS version (unlike the HD 'stringer" EPS version, which he loved). I'm surely overthinking it, but I'm really excited for this one and want to love it.
Thoughts?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Anyone have experience on Akila's boards in EPS builds? I prefer it on my small wave boards, so I asked for it on my Contemporary Fish. But then just saw Noel's review of the Modern Fish where he said the springiness was inconsistent on the standard EPS version (unlike the HD 'stringer" EPS version, which he loved). I'm surely overthinking it, but I'm really excited for this one and want to love it.
Thoughts?
I asked for standard eps on mine also. I think we both ordered around a similar time if I remember correctly.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I asked for standard eps on mine also. I think we both ordered around a similar time if I remember correctly.
yeah, but I dropped the ball after initial email. Made the mistake of saying I wasn't in any rush, then didn't hear from them for a couple months. I just followed up last week and Joji responded right away that the initial guy didn't pass it on to him, he confirmed the details I wanted and got the order in now. No worries. I am still busy trying to surf couple other new boards after our long flat spell anyway.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I think I told him the same thing, ha. I know their factory just reopened recently. Mines been waiting in line for glassing. Never tried his boards before, looking forward to it.

Reactions: oeste858