Akila and Noel

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Sorry Racer1 I’d been looking at that board for weeks and was DM’ing Akila to get pretty much the exact same dims but within FCSII (I get a better discount on FCS), but with all the added attention, it didn’t make sense to wait.

Waterlogged05. I’ll give a ride report, but I’ve really liked the last two Varial boards I’ve ridden. Excited to try their Infused Glass.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I saw your new board in the varial booth at the boardroom show, I think. just so you know, my neighbor and I fondled that thing a ton. :roflmao:

looked pretty similar to mine:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
ChaseTMP said:
Sorry Racer1 I’d been looking at that board for weeks and was DM’ing Akila to get pretty much the exact same dims but within FCSII (I get a better discount on FCS), but with all the added attention, it didn’t make sense to wait.

All good, it was a little too small for me.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Been eying his wing squash twins for a long time now. Tried to get my buddy to take advantage of the 5’8s at varial for about a year now as they’ve been available since the 2018 boardroom show. I’m thoroughly jealous chase, wish there were a 5’9. Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Board arrived and I'm a little worried. I ride 28L boards and this (27.9) one feels really under-volumed to me, the rails are really thinned-out, feels much more like a liter less than advertised. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go, but it's going to be a tentative paddle out tomorrow.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yep, would definitely need more punch than my local beach offers on average. I compared it to a board I rode that was a little under-volume’d for me, a 5’10 JS HYFI Air17X at 27.3 and this Akila was very similar feeling. I’m returning the board and Varial are super cool to deal with. They’re shipping some boards out of LAX and said they’d pick it from me while they’re down from Ventura.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have an old 6-0 akila twin fin and the rails are like paper thin. I was going to mention it earlier in the thread but I didn't know if maybe his modern boards are a little more normal. Sounds like they're still very foiled.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I ride 28L boards and this (27.9)

was a little under-volume’d for me, a 5’10 JS HYFI Air17X at 27.3

This is pretty scary stuff

Akila's board being .1 L less , JS .7 less than your optimum #

If you added thickness to Akilas rail it will be way over your decided upon # at the same length , center thickness and width .

I've had to retrain a few who have been lost in this volume thing .

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
What I was implying was that either Aklia’s volume numbers were not accurate on this particular board (made 3/2017) or the volume numbers I’m accustomed to with my last few boards: Chili, JS, Channel Islands, Haydenshapes and Rusty aren’t. A 28(ish)L board amongst the latter builders all feel similar to me. Akila’s felt like it was substantially less volume to me.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Greg Griffin said:
Thats a lot of work ! ;-)

We super scrubbers cut them close to finish .

Is it though? Does the machine cut the wing? Does the machine round the tail? Those two, plus blading out the rails and you could take off a liter or two I bet.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Funny story about Akila. I helped him do some marketing for his boards a few years back. We agreed on doing trade and that he'd shape me a board. After we completed everything, I forgot about the board. He moved to Bali for a year or so, I think. I don't know, lost touch with each other. About 2+ years ago he DM's me that my board is ready. What board? Hahah, I actually forgot about it. He shaped me a traditional fish. Only took about 3 years turn around time lol. Board went epic. My brother in law's brother loved it so much he bought it off me used. Said he was going to just steal it if I said no. He has in California now. Rails were magic.

If he does join the Slater/Firewire program I would be so happy for him. He is a humble hard working board builder who is committed to his concepts.

http://instagr.am/p/BNQWq6BlH78/

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Akila had a conection with Jim Hayes sup builder at Tropical Blends

He made his twins in that build just before he stopped his business at that time

They were Very nice and you saw many with them - selling well .

Jim was selling my MF 5 boards too .

This is when Firewire was going to build my boards

Unknown to most they were going to make Akilas Twin too

We both gave up since the quality at that time was not what we wanted .

Thats much improved .