Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I tried some modern keels on the FE and am not crazy about them. Stiffer and more stable than upright twins, such as the MRs, and more drive in turns. Could tick-tack through flat sections easy peasy seaweed squeezy. Pretty much felt like quads.

IMG_0485.jpg

On a bottom turn in a not-so-unclean wave something kind of caught for a second (see photo sequence below), not bad but it was weird, never happened before. Too much fin for the design?

cstreet.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2015
I’m trying mine with the Christenson keels and doing better (so far) than with the MR’s. No problem on bottom turns but still getting a handle of top turns. thinking about upright twins once I get more used to the board. Curious how the Pang twins worked for Waxfoot

Reactions: waxfoot

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Not sure why one would want keels on a performance twin designed for upright fins- it looks like the trailing edge of the keel are practically overhang the rail. Yes, too much fin. I feel like you guys are outsmarting yourselves. The shaper has fins available for the boar. IMHO, for best results: Try them… or at least find a similar template.

FCS:

futures:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Not sure why one would want keels on a performance twin designed for upright fins- it looks like the trailing edge of the keel are practically overhang the rail. Yes, too much fin. I feel like you guys are outsmarting yourselves. The shaper has fins available for the boar. IMHO, for best results: Try them… or at least find a similar template.

FCS:

futures:
Noel salad effect. T

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I’m trying mine with the Christenson keels and doing better (so far) than with the MR’s. No problem on bottom turns but still getting a handle of top turns. thinking about upright twins once I get more used to the board. Curious how the Pang twins worked for Waxfoot
I've not surfed it enough to form a conclusion just yet. I'm leaning towards "Pangs are good if you want to surf the board without a stabaliser), but I'll update this thread when I've used it more (having a bit of a drought at the moment :( )

Fin-shamed by a couple of straight white males. Where are all the social justice warriors when you need them?!
Your keels identify as upright, fight the good fight brother.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Fin-shamed by a couple of straight white males. Where are all the social justice warriors when you need them?!
Haha. You complained about the fins dragging and asked if they were too big, so I answered with my opinion. I’ve surfed keel fish and twins mostly the last few years now so am just trying to be helpful. I honestly love twins and want everyone on here to love them too. But you do you, YMMV, etc.

Maybe throw in a finger blaster to really stabilize those keels??

Last edited:

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Haha. You complained about the fins dragging and asked if they were too big, so I answered with my opinion. I’ve surfed keel fish and twins mostly the last few years now so am just trying to be helpful. I honestly love twins and want everyone on here to love them too. But you do you, YMMV, etc.

Maybe throw in a finger blaster to really stabilize those keels??
I didn't mean to say that they dragged. They just kind of caught for a second somehow on a bottom turn. It could have been seaweed for all I know. The keels look ridiculous on the board, almost hanging over the rail as you point out.

Jan 6, 2021
Got mine and took it out in subpar onshore conditions for the first session. Crazy how bladed out it is. Had a couple of spicy turns in the pocket. Surprisingly, carries a decent amount of speed through the flat spots. It's gotta be the easiest board I've had to put on rail. Frothing

Mar 25, 2009
Crazy how bladed out it is.
I think this might be a Slate-hair thing. I had a Gamma before and it was soooo bladed out that anytime I used it after riding a different shortboard for a while, and went to turn it, I'd just tip over and fall off. Pretty happy the Fat Lurch is less extreme than that.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Been debating adding one to the quiver for awhile. How do you size it length wise? It looks like a shortboard nose but then bloats out pretty wide, making me think you should go stubby? Every reviewer is lying about their height!

Also seeing Deivid Silva ripping at Manly contest on it got me thinking about one again. His looked like it was as tall as him.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
this boar has always looked fun to me. I've nearly pulled the trigger on a 5'9-5'10 OTR numerous times. 5'9 feels perfect under arm to me at 5'10 185-190#, but I've heard more than one person say size an inch up on it. when I trialed oeste's PU Con Fish, the listed thickness at 2 11/16 (same as a stock 5'9 FE) felt spot on. so at least there's consistency with Akila's design preferences of hidden volume. would the judgy mcjudgersons of the erbb still shame us for riding a fireweird if it's not a crutch boar?