Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Saw this on IG today... another option to try this design in alt construction, but USA made
http://instagr.am/p/CK4LV5EHxrH/
That Dark Twin is the only shape that i think looks good from the boards on offer at Dark Arts.
I would really like to get a board from those guys but all their models looks super wide and nothing that interests me. But this twin looks like it would be really fun!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
That Dark Twin is the only shape that i think looks good from the boards on offer at Dark Arts.
I would really like to get a board from those guys but all their models looks super wide and nothing that interests me. But this twin looks like it would be really fun!
agreed it looks fun. the quad version looks fun too. also I'd need $2600 laying around to order em both

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I think the Noel should compare the Flat Earth with the Fishbeard. Those seem like two HP fish designs that would be good to compare and contrast.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

Hmm, it's "a favourite", but I don't see it. Saw some squirt sometimes, but the board looks hard work to me.
I don't really see it either. I didn't think Noel looked good on any of the boards. I think it might be his style? :unsure: I don't know for sure. I do think he looked the best on the 5'7 but I didn't really agree with his choice of fins. I thought for sure he would have rode the Al Merrick Keels that he likes.

I never understood the trailer fin on a twin either. I am definitely being over critical (but that's what this forum is all about) but I think it totally ruins the design of a twin and takes away the magic of what makes a twin a "twin". If you need a middle fin to "stabilize" your twin then you don't know how to ride a twin. Or if you need a stabilizer to ride a twin, then maybe something is wrong with the design of the twin that you cant get enough drive off the bottom? idk... i find the trendy trailer fin thingy in a twin silly.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I actually tend to prefer the twin+1 in boards most would ride as thruster since I’m used to twins/quads. it’s an extreme version of the time-honored erBB “smaller center fin to loosen up a thruster set” and it’s really all personal preference how you want a board to feel.
In a board designed as twin, the trailer is a “training wheel” as Akila says. Most people who jump on twins now are used to riding thrusters and it’s less of an adjustment when going back and forth. I ride mostly twins the last couple years but it is a slightly different approach to the speed/looseness if you don’t. IMO You still gain some “twin feel” benefits over a thruster and it certainly rides differently.

The couple times when I have used a tiny (2” True Ames) trailer in my Akila contemporary fish, it’s been to try ride it in bigger steeper waves than it’s intended (as a groveler) with its wide bat tail. If I’d had another board with me, I would’ve ridden that instead. so, not ideal as a twin purist, but it does practically increase the board’s versatility.

Edit: Since you’re judging others’ fin choices, I don’t know why Salsa insists on riding his keels at all in Akila’s designs which were intended for upright twins like his blue/green futures. That also changes the shaper’s intention for how the board rides- as much as adding a trailer to upright twins!

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
What boards that he got for free havent been favorites? Doubt he has to buy them himself anymore
I can see that point of view (shall we say more cynical viewpoint?), but to me this review was the only one that struck me as incongruent with the video footage.

The other favourites, to my eye at least, looked like they went slightly better in the aspects he judged them in, compared to the rest in the board category.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
F. I'm a donk but that orange board in the intro looks like it's a bogging a bit during his bottom turns. I haven't watched the entire things yet. Looking forward to it now, given the comments here.

Before I do though: I freaking love my Aipa Dark Twinn from Duke in XTR. Just saying.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I would chock it up to "maybe he doesn't know how to ride twin fins that well"... but then again, he seems to ride the Channel Island fishbeard pretty well. :unsure: (I think he looked good at the Surf Ranch on the fishbeard).

I dont know... i just dont know...

Reactions: sh3

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I would chock it up to "maybe he doesn't know how to ride twin fins that well"... but then again, he seems to ride the Channel Island fishbeard pretty well. :unsure: (I think he looked good at the Surf Ranch on the fishbeard).

yeah I agree, I think he's still adjusting to twin fins coming from a QS warrior surfing style

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018

The other twin Aipa he reviewed looked infinitely better.

Reactions: Hazrus