Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Looks like a quick pump and dump for somebody... (Havoc?)

Mo betta:

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Not if Akila's is making these for more thruster-like hold through turns if ridden as twin. I had a twin pin (not an Aipa) with fins set at 7.25" and I was amazed at the hold it had and how I could get pretty square off the bottom without things washing out.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not if Akila's is making these for more thruster-like hold through turns if ridden as twin. I had a twin pin (not an Aipa) with fins set at 7.25" and I was amazed at the hold it had and how I could get pretty square off the bottom without things washing out.
Nice. Alright...

This thing looks really fin, but trying to figure out what fins would work good in it. Im wondering if the Album Fascinations fins would work in this one.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@tedshred5 I found those fins to not have enough drive. Akila makes 3 different fin templates.

1. Pivot Twin Fin (the one you posted above).

2. Performance Rake Fin.

3. Performance Keel Twin Fin.

I think i would like the keel most in the Flat Earth... but maybe the Album one would work better??
Idk... I guess we'll have to wait and see which one Slater Designs recommends with this board.

1611606124376.png
Pivot

1611606109798.png
Performance Rake

1611606132683.png
Performance Keel

Reactions: sh3 and tedshred5

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I guess Noel reviewed this board in December 2019. I think the pink board as the dedicated twin looked better on him than the thruster set up.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@tedshred5 I found those fins to not have enough drive. Akila makes 3 different fin templates.

1. Pivot Twin Fin (the one you posted above).

2. Performance Rake Fin.

3. Performance Keel Twin Fin.

I think i would like the keel most in the Flat Earth... but maybe the Album one would work better??
Idk... I guess we'll have to wait and see which one Slater Designs recommends with this board.

View attachment 104236
Pivot

View attachment 104235
Performance Rake

View attachment 104237
Performance Keel

I'd go Performance Rake, no trailer, done!

Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@ReForest the main Futures-made upright Akilas work well in a round pin twin (although mine don't have a wing), and Albums or other upright performance twins (not keels) should work too. I think the tail shape provides some drive (vs. a wide swallow tail), as well as the further back placement you noted. I don't think the average FW consumer (no offense) is going to seek out his other fin templates if they're not widely available at the local shop and only sold on Akilas site.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest the main Futures-made upright Akilas work well in a round pin twin (although mine don't have a wing), and Albums or other upright performance twins (not keels) should work too. I think the tail shape provides some drive (vs. a wide swallow tail), as well as the further back placement you noted. I don't think the average FW consumer (no offense) is going to seek out his other fin templates if they're not widely available at the local shop and only sold on Akilas site.
You are right that the average consumer wont seek out those specialty fins, but Firewire will most likely market one of Akila's fins specifically for this board and release them with the board. Just like they did with the Rob Machado fins and the Dan Mann fins. I'm just wondering which fins they will choose to release with the board.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Or maybe they wont release a fin with this board? It seems like COVID has a lot of board manufactures scaling back.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I’ve run the Aipas in my Rusty twin fin (which sets the trailing edge at 8”) and it feels like it has enough drive
All of you are missing that each of these optional templates move further back

Each having the same trailing edge placement would be a better comparison
Yeah, obviously I’d be curious to try all 3 of Akila’s fin templates in the same board

Reactions: ReForest

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
16 years ago :)
Unknown company

Fins designed for this Placement - 35 year old design , born at Sunset Point

It seems like this sort of fin placement would allow the surfer to shift all his weight to the back foot and the board would respond appropriately, thus working well for people like me. at least with a certain kind of rocker.

Greg, where does the most rocker curve sit with your twins? Middle to nose? Middle of the board? Starting more toward the nose then through the tail?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
1/2" , 25" up from center then increases into "Kick", that # varies on a 6' board

Tail rocker looks very smooth constantly dropping from center looking from the tail to center, bottom up

Looking down the stringer you see it is 4 separate angles joined together , long from center to 3 starting just in front of the fins