Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'll post in here how it feels. I think i'm fairly realistic about boards and aren't too susceptible to "new boarditus", by only posting glowing reviews to validate my purchase :) I'm also no brand loyalist.

Given that this sort of design is entirely foreign to me, would you help me understand the board / let me know what I should look out for?

For example: Are you implying that the fins should actually be further back?
If so, can you please describe to me what the negative feeling is that I should look out for with the fins a little bit more forward than in the render you posted?

ps: Don't let the shadowed outline confuse your eyes, this is me zooming in on the image you posted, and the background transparency taken away. You can clearly see that the dropshadow (or whatever it's called) creates a lot of image distortion.

View attachment 113159
So how does it feel??

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Holy Hell! We've had non-stop swell and warm water. lol. Its been nice.
Dont you have a wave pool near you?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
@griffinsurfboard , as Duffy says, none of the actual boards have it set that far back as that render you post …. i had a look at the entire rack to check , same with all the videos online. As with the videos, when looking at the board side/on, they look further set back.

Akila-Aipa-Performance-Twin-blink.jpg

Nothing serious , I just stated what I've seen

Akila is a friend , nothing negative is being said = no reason to get upset over an observation

Placements on the Townsend have changed in the last year of seeing them .

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Holy Hell! We've had non-stop swell and warm water. lol. Its been nice.
Dont you have a wave pool near you?
Yea, I saw! :p

Nein, there's only one in Melbourne, and talks of one within 20 minutes at some point, but kinda hoping that one doesn't shake out. Wouldn't mind an American wave machines or Wave Garden one close by though.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
My guess for the difference in fin placement between the Firewire and the custom is that putting the fins close to the edge on the Firewire would make it structurally flawed, seeing as it's built with LFT which is like making a board out of wafers and eggshells.

Reactions: MathDebater

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
As to the "why" of using a render?

Sometimes the photography can't be done on the product by the time the marketing assets need to be compiled and put into production, and therefore digital renders need to be used to create the marketing collateral.
As yourself and Duffy noted that was a render. Shape3D can export them complete with logos and plugs if the pro license is purchased. Most of the major manufacturers seem to be showing renders not photos.

The software gives default plug positions which can be moved, but I don't think all shapers use it even the placement feature is available. So my guess is that is a render of default plug positions rather than incorrectly "designed" ones. I suppose the general audience aren't picky unlike us lot :D

These are the default positions on my 2021 build. I placed them differently.
DefaultPlugPositions.JPGShape3DFeatures.JPG

Reactions: waxfoot

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
My guess for the difference in fin placement between the Firewire and the custom is that putting the fins close to the edge on the Firewire would make it structurally flawed, seeing as it's built with LFT which is like making a board out of wafers and eggshells.
My guess on the different placement between the Custom and the Firewire is a different target market.

Kale Brock reviewed a Firewire Flat Earth didn't he. Was that a stock?

Reactions: Goodfish

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
View attachment 113292

Nothing serious , I just stated what I've seen

Akila is a friend , nothing negative is being said = no reason to get upset over an observation

Placements on the Townsend have changed in the last year of seeing them .
Just curious, which placement you would prefer on this design? Right on the wing like the shaved ice custom above, or set further in like the FW stock "render"?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Placement on the board with Futures looks more fun for twin/trailer. The FW looks like a thruster.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Also, didn't I read that Kelly likes very forward, loose fins? Maybe that meant altering the design for FW.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Also, didn't I read that Kelly likes very forward, loose fins? Maybe that meant altering the design for FW.
Off-topic, but it looked like in photos, Kelly was surfing a Donald Brink asym at Lowers this week. He certainly seems willing to try different stuff so I wonder how much he's messed around with asyms.

Reactions: ReForest and JDJ