Akila Aipa's/Slater Designs' Twin release

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Akila sent me a set of the Huckleberry's to ride with my Mod-Fish, but they have too much fin area for me at my weight. So my daughter has given them a go in her two Flat Earths.
She has the 5'3 and the 5'5.
I rode the 5'3 (24L) with just the twin set-up and it was super squirrely but seriously fun, felt like it definitely needed the trailer for control and stability. Surprised at the looseness even with the "bigger" fins, because my other boards with same volume aren't even close to being as sensitive yet responsive as the Flat Earth.
I've not ridden the 5'5 (26L) yet. My girl rides this one as a dedicated twin without the trailer and it looks so good under her feet! She likes both boards a lot, but usually chooses the higher volume one.
The Huckleberry set is real nice, and worth looking into.

View attachment 109347
as a fellow small person, I call dibs if you ever plan to sell your aipa's haha ;):waving:

Reactions: ReForest

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
What size? and how does that size feel?
5.9, 19 3/4, 2 11.26

I’m 80KG to 82KG

I could have gone either 5.9 or 5.10, I’m sure the 5.10 would have been just fine. The board feels very “bladey” under arm and more refined than most boards I have / have had. I think the only other board at the moment thsts as refined, is my 6.4 step up. We have a helluva flat spell coming up, so will be a while before i get to surf it :(

@griffinsurfboard , as Duffy says, none of the actual boards have it set that far back as that render you post …. i had a look at the entire rack to check , same with all the videos online. As with the videos, when looking at the board side/on, they look further set back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr J

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Apparently you've missed the recent attitudes around here when it comes to what people find acceptable with this kind of stuff.
Or maybe you and Griff don't understand how digital assets work / how they can become distorted? :D

To be clear: I don't mean to say that it's acceptable, I mean to say that in this case the end result of the board is as the designer intended.

As to the "why" of using a render?

Sometimes the photography can't be done on the product by the time the marketing assets need to be compiled and put into production, and therefore digital renders need to be used to create the marketing collateral.

Last edited:

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Marketing seems to be not very "Accurate" compared to "Reality"

There is Soo much consumers don''t lnow do to this .
Agreed, but the salient point is that those two processes are divorced from one another and likely in this case, absolutely not nefarious.

I don't think at any point did "marketing" shout "hey, look how far the fins are set back, thats why you should buy this board". The actual board marketing is from the various videos the Firewire's put out. It's only people like yourself with such a fine eye that will pick up on inconsistencies of rendered images, VS product.

Again, all the boards' fins are set as Akila wants them / have decided on for board production.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Agreed, but the salient point is that those two processes are divorced from one another and likely in this case, absolutely not nefarious.

I don't think at any point did "marketing" shout "hey, look how far the fins are set back, thats why you should buy this board". The actual board marketing is from the various videos the Firewire's put out. It's only people like yourself with such a fine eye that will pick up on inconsistencies of rendered images, VS product.

Again, all the boards' fins are set as Akila wants them / have decided on for board production.
Dang !!!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I'll post in here how it feels. I think i'm fairly realistic about boards and aren't too susceptible to "new boarditus", by only posting glowing reviews to validate my purchase :) I'm also no brand loyalist.

Given that this sort of design is entirely foreign to me, would you help me understand the board / let me know what I should look out for?

For example: Are you implying that the fins should actually be further back?
If so, can you please describe to me what the negative feeling is that I should look out for with the fins a little bit more forward than in the render you posted?

ps: Don't let the shadowed outline confuse your eyes, this is me zooming in on the image you posted, and the background transparency taken away. You can clearly see that the dropshadow (or whatever it's called) creates a lot of image distortion.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.27.16 am.png

Last edited: