Aging Shredders + Lack of weight-training

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You've never met Harkonnens before, cuckstreet, I have. They're not human - they're brutal. You have to be ready.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Hilarious. Yeah, the better way is to simply not eat sh!t food so you won’t need to compensate (badly).

So we can eat well and “dig holes” or eat sh!t and try to compensate by bodybuilding (building muscle mass), or injecting insulin.
I don’t think anyone is talking about bodybuilding.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I know Kelly and Bobby both train with weights. Kelly is also blessed with genetics that have him very sensitive to stress...which is a common trait in high level athletes.

There's two things you should never do......base your training and practice requirement on those of a professional surfer. Or....base your board volume on those of a professional surfer. Their needs are much different than recreational Joe.
I have never seen Bobby train with weights.

Boxing, wrestling, SUP and surfing.

Reactions: slipped_disc

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I saw Bobby jogging for miles in Tahiti.

which seemed super strange to me- seeing as fast twitch sprinting would have been a far more adaptive thing to train for.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Food for thought.....every good coach..including SSC's use the same method for intermediates and above trainees when they start getting stuck. They add volume to the heavy squat or deadlift days. Reset is the last resort and usually accompanies a significant program change. Heavy sets are for exposure to high intensity...volume is where you make your money.
Could you elaborate on that a bit?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Fat loss/gain, glucose and cholesterol numbers, whatever. Total caloric intake and macronutrient balance has far more impact on those markers than some random compound like lectins.
Where have I claimed that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels? Without checking, I don’t think that even high fructose corn syrup is high in lectins.

• Haha

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Pretty much considered a healthy diet universally. The issue is that some of this diet, namely grains, legumes, and nightshades, contain some harmful proteins, or rather proteins that we're not well adapted to.

Course I have no idea what your health is like but, from you described, it sounded like your recovery time should be better, and that suggests that your body may be busy fighting other threats, such as harmful proteins. Sure sign would be if you have any autoimmune issues.
I don't have any reason to think I have a food allergy or autoimmune disease. I have no doubt that some people my age could manage more activity than me, I just think its the way I am built. My diet is following AU government guidelines and food intake is considered good (I have worked with an AU gov/state dietician on that for a health condition I have). I like things such as avocado, nut butters, plant protein etc. So until my government changes its guidelines on that I will trust it more than cult/fad elimination diets.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Most of the older guys still ripping are not hitting the weights, they are just staying active.

What derails them ultimately is traumatic injury, cancer, or cardiac issues.
agreed
If you're not 55+ you don't know what aging is

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So until my government changes its guidelines on that I will trust it more than cult/fad elimination diets.
:ROFLMAO: No government the size of Australia will ever do that. The medical and industrial food producing industries would never allow it.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Where have I claimed that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels? Without checking, I don’t think that even high fructose corn syrup is high in lectins.
Same goes for individual ingredients, even the most artificial, as long as overall calories and macronutrients are in good balance with each other and relative to your activity.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Same goes for individual ingredients, even the most artificial, as long as overall calories and macronutrients are in good balance with each other and relative to your activity.
Right, I never claimed that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels. You’ve apparently gotten all twisted up in your trolling.

When you wrote this:
grapedrink said:
Stop majoring in the minors and projecting your snowflake tendencies onto the rest of us, because that is not the primary driver for most.
It seems that you were the one projecting. Does that mean you’re a snowflake or that you’re majoring in the minors?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Right, I never claimed that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels. You’ve apparently gotten all twisted up in your trolling.
It seemed that this is what you were getting at because you went on a tirade about it before (where you were proven wrong, btw) and then you linked the Plant Paradox, which focuses on lectins.

To blame blood glucose or fat gain etc on anything other than caloric balance, assuming reasonable macronutrient balance, is to major in the minors.

Also- do you have a source for your claim that cardio is better than strength training for the benefits I mentioned at the start?

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I'm now sadly in my mid 60's. On a good day I can surf a 5'11" grovel board pretty well. Better waves I primarily ride 6'5" to 6'7". I don't own a long board, although I have a rarely used glider. I'm 205. When I say "surf pretty well" that's by say '80's standards. At one point I would still do occasional airs, but a nasty ankle injury took me out of that. And truth be told, I make mistakes now I never used to make. I used to have a bad day and be able to surf my way out of it. Now, if it starts out bad, I get the hell out of the water and hope nobody saw.

What goes on everybody, and I mean everybody, is the ability to come to your feet quickly and with precision. I have talked with some legends of our sport that are my age and EVERYBODY complains of the same thing. They can still surf, it's that popup that becomes the problem. I've surfed since the age of 5. I don't remember learning how to come to my feet. Now, I have to think about it. Which is horrible. It needs to be in muscle memory on real waves. To have to start thinking about something you knew how to do as a small child is humiliating. I probably blow 1 out of 6 or 7 as it is. But it's not getting better. And it gets in your head. You will laugh at my solution. I took a softboard, removed the fins and sawed it off at 6'2". Throw it on the floor of the garage. Practice coming to your feet as rapidly and as accurately as possible. 4 sets of 5. If you're getting bad reps, STOP. Quality is what you want to go into muscle memory. If I do 20 of those a day, I'm pretty good.

And I consider light weights to be a fountain of youth. High reps, slow pace, slower negatives, concentrate on squeezing the muscle you are working on. Try and induce as much stress as possible with as light a weight as possible. I used to lift fairly heavy. Sometimes I still do. I have the genetics to build mass. Still. That mass is, IMO, counterproductive for surfing. But that's another subject.

Lastly, a quality traditional stand up martial art. This is not about being a bad ass. This is about balance, timing, flexibility and reflexes. Perfection of movement. (and it will NEVER be perfect) In my prime I could go train MA for a month or two and when I went back to surfing, everything was there except paddling. Throw swimming into the mix and it was really close to being all there.

The pop up thing sounds stupid. But you would not believe the surf legends I have heard complain about the same thing. Oh, and yes, flexibility. As little flexibility as surfing requires, many a surfer has become an ex surfer because of flexibility loss. Do it after you workout. If you stretch in the evenings in front of the TV, you will wake up looser.

And weight. It sounds crazy, but the difference in my surfing under 200 (198) from over 205 is large. 6 or 7 pounds makes a difference. I can't even imagine 20. And at one point in my life I came in at 220 with single digit body fat. With a board that was appropriate for the weight I could surf well. But I couldn't paddle for sh!t. Swinging big upper body muscle mass through paddling motions will fatigue you fast.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm now sadly in my mid 60's. On a good day I can surf a 5'11" grovel board pretty well. Better waves I primarily ride 6'5" to 6'7". I don't own a long board, although I have a rarely used glider. I'm 205. When I say "surf pretty well" that's by say '80's standards. At one point I would still do occasional airs, but a nasty ankle injury took me out of that. And truth be told, I make mistakes now I never used to make. I used to have a bad day and be able to surf my way out of it. Now, if it starts out bad, I get the hell out of the water and hope nobody saw.

What goes on everybody, and I mean everybody, is the ability to come to your feet quickly and with precision. I have talked with some legends of our sport that are my edge and EVERYBODY complains of the same thing. They can still surf, it's that popup that becomes the problem. I've surfed since the age of 5. I don't remember learning how to come to my feet. Now, I have to think about it. Which is horrible. It needs to be in muscle memory on real waves.
You mentioned balance, but do you think this is mostly strength loss? Without regular strength training, sarcopenia happens with age and even then, still happens. No matter what, we're all going to get old and die. Jack LaLanne trained up to his death but still died.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Eventually we all are going to lose balance and strength. We are all going to die. The point is to go as far as you can go before you're done. I have seen men in their late 70's that have shocking flexibility. I was about to type out a story regarding that, but trust me, it would blow your mind. He was born with extreme flexibility. My hips would never EVER do that. But, he has legs like tree trunks (all body weight exercises) and he stretches. He gets up a 4:30 every day of his life and trains. That's baseline. More training later in the day. And the last training he works on for the day is flexibility. And yes, he's going to die. But at five foot nothing he can stand face to face, a few inches away with a guy that is 6'5"+ and rotate one leg up and into a roundhouse kick, putting the ball of his foot into the side of the head of the tallest guy in the room. No matter how gifted he was from birth, it's still amazing in a man that is of an age when many of us will be dead of "old age."

Nobody beats the grim reaper.

But you can maybe keep him waiting longer than he wants.

EDIT: By the way, Jack LaLanne's son surfs and I count him as a friend. Shapes surfboards as well.

Oh, and as a young man, I used to consider plyometrics to be very helpful to the act of surfing well. I don't do them anymore. Hidetaka Nishiyama used to make us do them in the 70's - 80's. You asked him why and in broken English he'd reply "make more speedo!" Then he'd hit you with a shinai. We didn't know what they were called. Then about 20-30 years ago they started calling them plyometrics. Which brings up the subject of it supposedly being impossible to increase speed. My answer is yes and no on that one. He also taught me something about intermittent fasting which at the time was heresy, and varying your diet according to your race/heredity which is probably very forbidden information in this day and age. Even though it worked.

And I don't claim to be an aging shredder at the moment. I was surfing pretty well earlier this year but I really haven't surfed much since my father died in May. Just no heart for it. Long story. But I have continued to work out on dry land. And I need to get back in the water. The desire to do so had vanished, but I think about it more and more. Time will tell how much is left. I may yet have a few more years in me. At my age, you never know what you have left in the tank. My friends seem to dying at an alarming rate. But a lot of them never backed off the whole party-until-you-melt thing.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Could you elaborate on that a bit?
Grinding out heavy sets doesn't make you stronger. It is useful exposure to a task but the return isn't any greater than a slightly lighter set that requires less intensity and results in less fatigue.

If your in a training block that has for instance a top set of 3 followed by 4-5 back off sets at say 75% of e1RM and your top set isn't progressing... a good first step is to add a couple more back off sets at a lower intensity in the ballpark of 65-68% and see where things go. It's my experience that this small amount of added volume has you become unstuck fairly quickly. Properly programmed lower intensity volume is a great tool. The problem arises when that volume intensity isn't high enough. Most trainees will self judge a set at RPE 8 when it was a 6 at best. Until you are a seasoned lifter a coach will look at things like form, bar speed and grip to help judge RPE.

Reactions: freeride76

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
It seemed that this is what you were getting at because you went on a tirade about it before (where you were proven wrong, btw) and then you linked the Plant Paradox, which focuses on lectins.
No, it does not seem that way. Your chronic preoccupation with trolling gets you confused. That may not happen as frequently if you valued understanding more than trolling, but, to each his own.

I've never heard anyone claim that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels. It doesn't make sense.

Also- do you have a source for your claim that cardio is better than strength training for the benefits I mentioned at the start?
You claimed: "In terms of longevity, cognitive and metabolic health, strength/resistance training (whatever medium you choose) is superior to all other forms of exercise."

Clearly, strength/resistance training has unique benefits and muscle mass in the body requires continuous metabolic support. That anyone would be inclined to build muscle mass in order to regulate their metabolism suggests that they are trying to compensate for... I think the euphemism that you used was "indulgent", compensating for an indulgent diet. Indulgence often comes at a price.

The article that you linked to about heart health (not directly part of your claim, btw) defines:

Aerobic activity includes walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, gardening and all forms of sports, such as golf, tennis, and volleyball.

Push-ups, static rowing, resistance training, dips, arm and leg raises, and hand grips are all examples of strength-building exercises.
When I do strength training at home and don't need to move around as much or wait for equipment my heart rate is often higher than walking, gardening, and even low aerobic cycling (around 120 bpm). Also, the article doesn't really offer any details about the study it refers to.

The article you linked to about longevity is behind a paywall so I don't know what it says.

You haven't posted any links about cognitive superiority that I could find just now.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I've never heard anyone claim that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels. It doesn't make sense.
You went on a tirade several months back about lectins being the primary driver of body weight. Since you brought up Gundry's book, i thought that you were going in that direction.

That anyone would be inclined to build muscle mass in order to regulate their metabolism suggests that they are trying to compensate for... I think the euphemism that you used was "indulgent", compensating for an indulgent diet. Indulgence often comes at a price.
No . . . . you misunderstood. The benefits I outlined would apply to everyone, even those who have very good baseline health markers. Stuff like joint health is universal, and many type 1 diabetics are not overweight by any means.

I never said that indulgences don't have a price, it seems that you are trying to derail with this issue. What i said is that they are a normal part of life and the metabolic benefits of strength training can help mitigate their impact. If you want to go through life never/rarely enjoying a few cocktails, pizza, burritos or desserts then that's your call, but being a nutritional miser 98%+ of the time has it's own psychological and social drawbacks. I'd rather spend my time exercising in a way that helps me mitigate that passively instead of trying to burn it back actively, but hey, you do you.

You haven't posted any links about cognitive superiority that I could find just now.
This one outlines the benefits of strength training however there is not a comparison with cardio. https://www.sydney.edu.au/news-opinion/news/2020/02/11/strength-training-can-help-protect-the-brain-from-degeneration.html#:~:text=The long-term study found,role in learning and memory

Elevated blood glucose is highly associated with cognitive decline and alziemers is often referred to as Type 3 diabetes. Given that strength training was shown by the comparitive study I posted to be better for glucose management in addition to it being able to act passively, this is huge for cognition.

Either way, you have still not posted a source to back up your challenge, which suggests that you don't have any scientific basis for your claim. I'm not going to bother searching for additional evidence if you can't even bother to post a single source on your own to back up your claim that you are sorely losing on.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
You went on a tirade several months back about lectins being the primary driver of body weight.
Again, I've never heard anyone claim that lectins are the primary driver of body weight or glucose and cholesterol levels. It doesn't make sense.

If you're just here to troll it's not surprising that you don't listen and get confused.

I'd rather spend my time exercising in a way that helps me mitigate that passively instead of trying to burn it back actively, but hey, you do you.
Passive strength training? You mean like zapping mussels with electricity so they contract? or are we talking about steroids?

Personally, I really like aerobic activities.

there is not a comparison with cardio
:( Well, I will give you a E for effort, my little snowflake.

About longevity, can you at least outline the claims of any study, if there is a study?

Last edited:
  • Haha