Adult Men Shouldn’t Skateboard.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Gws that’s exactly the problem. That fall I took I was hurting for 3 months and it wasn’t even serious. sh!t just five years ago I would have brushed it off and kept skating.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
A friend of mine worked at Powell Peralta for years and always had a variety of boards in his garage. When he was 35 he was skating down the sidewalk in front of his house, hit a crack and landed sideways on his wrist. Positive that he broke it, he stuck his head back in the house, told his wife he had to go to the emergency room but it was no big deal. She stayed home with their 7 year old and 3 year old kids. He arrived at the ER and they put him in the back of the queue for minor injury. He sat down to wait his turn and immediately passed out. He woke up in triage and they were asking for his wife's phone number. WTF? Why do they need that? The nurse called his wife and told her to get down to the ER ASAP! What, for a broken wrist? The nurse explained that his wrist was going to be ok but during the fall, his elbow must have hit his kidney and ruptured it. He was dying from blood poisoning and needed surgery immediately. He spent a week in Intensive Care and fully recovered. Scaryshit man.
k1Z2DD4.gif

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
A friend of mine worked at Powell Peralta for years and always had a variety of boards in his garage. When he was 35 he was skating down the sidewalk in front of his house, hit a crack and landed sideways on his wrist. Positive that he broke it, he stuck his head back in the house, told his wife he had to go to the emergency room but it was no big deal. She stayed home with their 7 year old and 3 year old kids. He arrived at the ER and they put him in the back of the queue for minor injury. He sat down to wait his turn and immediately passed out. He woke up in triage and they were asking for his wife's phone number. WTF? Why do they need that? The nurse called his wife and told her to get down to the ER ASAP! What, for a broken wrist? The nurse explained that his wrist was going to be ok but during the fall, his elbow must have hit his kidney and ruptured it. He was dying from blood poisoning and needed surgery immediately. He spent a week in Intensive Care and fully recovered. Scaryshit man.
View attachment 85990
this is precisely the type of sh!t that would happen to me

I like the carver, I don't think I could get back in to street again

my kid wants me to build a box and rail for him....

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
About 10 years back, took one of the nephews to a skate part in SF.

Brought along my old skateboard, thinking, I'll just some gentle banked turns on the ramps, stay low in the pool, maybe work up to an ollie over some cracks in the apron.

So 10 minutes later, hey, the body hasn't forgotten everything. Kinda fun to feel the push/pull of inertial changes in the pool, the added velocity from a good center of gravity change at the bottom of the curves.

And then I had to run it out when I started to over-rotate on a re-entry and slapped my feet down.

That slap stung my feet.

That slap woke me up.

"What the hell am I risking here?"

Got off the playing field and watched the nephew.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
View attachment 85990

Sort of like how Nep almost died from a burst spleen.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
this is precisely the type of sh!t that would happen to me

I like the carver, I don't think I could get back in to street again

my kid wants me to build a box and rail for him....
Honestly, Jezebel is right (mark this post for posterity)

Skateboarding hurts too bad for old men

• Haha
Reactions: santacruzin

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
2 months ago i hit my knee on something and it still hurts
did something to my shoulder zipping up my jacket, thats hurt a few days now

if i get on a skateboard my body will explode

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and Boneroni

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Timely. After laying off the skate for a couple years, the past month Ive gotten the bug again. Im 49 now but still feel comfortable on my skate. Decided Im gonna stay out of the parks for the most part and went on a ditch mission over the weekend. Always been one of my favorite things to skate. Hit 2 within 30 minutes of my house. One was virgin concrete and fun as hell!! The other I'll go back this weekend and clean it up. Felt like a kid again hopping fences and getting some runs in.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Got to know when to fold em....

I've been having a series of issues- heart, shoulder, neck, back. My MD even asked me (about surfing), "Do you want to continue this activity?"

Activity? I'm sure you'll all understand when I say it's kind of my life. No way I'm going to give it up without a fight. But skateboarding? I used to just flow some turns at the gently sloped parking lot at my local beach break. It's been a while since I did even that. Probably not worth the risk any more...

Reactions: rts265

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I’m 56 skate most Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays if the waves suck. Didn’t skate much in the 1990’s but after 2001 haven’t stopped except for nursing injuries. Some skate some surf related. No big deal.

One thing skating can promise you. You’ll get hurt. Couple weeks ago I was cruising into the park turned right pretty hard into a wheel bite and the tail shot into my thigh. Spent the next few minutes sweeping and cleaning trash around the park for good karma. Haha. Skatings fun, but if all you’re thinking is don’t get hurt then don’t skate.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Posted by the bot Hal 9000 so you know it’s fake news

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I ride a skateboard all the time. Go to parks too.

My body is always in pain so I might as well just have fun.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I’m 56 skate most Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays if the waves suck. Didn’t skate much in the 1990’s but after 2001 haven’t stopped except for nursing injuries. Some skate some surf related. No big deal.

One thing skating can promise you. You’ll get hurt. Couple weeks ago I was cruising into the park turned right pretty hard into a wheel bite and the tail shot into my thigh. Spent the next few minutes sweeping and cleaning trash around the park for good karma. Haha. Skatings fun, but if all you’re thinking is don’t get hurt then don’t skate.

This.

In skateboarding you're playing with house money always. Gravity eventually wins.