Adult Men Shouldn’t Skateboard.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I went for a cruise on my Carver just the other day. Took my shirt off too...
I hit a rock on my carver last May. I didn't even fall. All I did was lose my balance and catch myself. In doing so I threw out my back really badly. Took about 10 weeks to heal up from that one. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I hit a rock on my carver last May. I didn't even fall. All I did was lose my balance and catch myself. In doing so I threw out my back really badly. Took about 10 weeks to heal up from that one. Getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.
Same. Was pumping around a basketball court. Hit a rock. Ate pavement. I got off easy but could have been so bad. Haven’t touched the carver since.

If it’s not something you do regularly, you shouldn’t do it the older you get. Any activity.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
A non surfing friend had reffed his daughters soccer game over the weekend and was all effed up. That’s when I came up with the if you don’t do it regularly, don’t.

I’ve surfed and traned BJJ most of my life and I’ll pass on certain things - I don’t know like playing basketball. I say I don’t want to get hurt. People are like wtf you do all these crazy things. They’re not crazy if you do it everyday.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Same. Was pumping around a basketball court. Hit a rock. Ate pavement. I got off easy but could have been so bad. Haven’t touched the carver since.

If it’s not something you do regularly, you shouldn’t do it the older you get. Any activity.
In my case they had just re-paved my street and it was like glass. The last thing I expected was to hit a stone that would stop the board in its tracks.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Somewhere in my early 50's, I was at a skatepark with my kid. The rats were stoked on my 80's board and my "surf style." (their words) I'm feeling pretty good. I got this. Long story short I went from top to bottom on a ramp kind of head first. (don't ask) I put one hand down and rolled out of it. "I'm ok. I'm good." And I kept skating. And as I skated my wrist started hurting. And then it got worse. And worse. It became clear I needed to go home. Turned out to be a hairline fracture. No big. But it took forever to heal. It was months before I could pop up on a surfboard without pain. On the suggestion of a forum member I finally took a stomp pad, cut it up and stuck it where my hand hits the deck and wore a wrist brace while surfing. (Obviously I should have been wearing one while skating) I beat the sh!t out of that board with the wrist brace. A number of embarrassing takeoffs occurred. (Dude. I'm getting into kneeboarding. Pretty cool right?) Did I say this took a long time to heal? It wasn't the pain of the injury or even the injury that got to me. It was the amount of time it took to heal.

Is it too late to learn how to ride a motorcycle?

Last edited: