Achilles Tendon Surgery

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Tore my Achilles tendon and had surgery two weeks ago to repair it. In a cast for another two weeks and then will move into a walking boot and begin the rehab process. The surgeon told me no surfing for 9 months which I feel is too conservative. Hoping to make it more like 6 months through PT and active release therapy. Any advice on PT, ART, a good supportive surf friendly brace, etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
Hi Sushi,

Sorry man, that sucks. I snapped my left Achilles playing tennis about 10 years ago, and had it surgically repaired as well. Since my wife is an MD, I was able to solicit many expert opinions from her ortho colleagues. One thing they were all in agreement on is that tendons heal very slowly, and there are no shortcuts to speed up healing. I would listen to your surgeon and only surf when they tell you it's OK. Sorry that's not the news you want to hear, but a re-rupture is a game changer that you might never fully recover from - not worth the risk!

Do as many PT sessions as your insurance will cover, and be diligent about doing the homework they give you. The big milestone is generally when you can do a one-legged standing heel raise on the injured side. Once you can do that, they'll generally give you the OK to surf again. Many gyms have a specific standing calf raise machine, which I found very helpful in rebuilding those muscles (but definitely get the doctor's OK before using). I also took up swimming laps to get my cardio back.

I can't comment on ART as I don't know a thing about it.

Hang in there and be positive, it's a long recovery but you will eventually be back in the game! Good luck!

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Casa, I tore it playing indoor soccer. I don’t think a second opinion would make much of a difference at this point, especially since I’m probably just mopey, in denial and kicking rocks.

surfride1977

OTF status
Nov 20, 2005
I don't remember exactly how long I was out of the water.. Maybe 3 months?? I did a few risky things to get my fix that I with the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't recommend. I bought a boogie board and wore a fin only my good leg, which got boring sort of quickly. Then I bought a proper kneeboard that I rode without wearing fins (paddled like surfing), which was a lot more fun.. I did wear a brace the whole time but was super paranoid about only taking waves I knew I would make..

Anyway, keep your chin up, you'll get back out there before you know it!

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I was actually thinking about getting a kneeboard or small fish and riding it as a kneeboard. I refuse to be a dick dragger tho. I hope it doesn’t come to that. :roflmao:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Friend #1 snapped his Achilles in his 40s.

Surgical repair, cast, then PT.

Back in the water in under 6 months.

Don't know what the doc said about the time, but Friend #1 was a monster when it came to doing PT, and by monster, I mean that he did not skimp one bit. Was walking around in the cast, took it easy when it came off, but he would do what they said, and then a little more and take extra care during PT recovery.

I advise following the doctor's instructions and not to be too gung-ho too soon.

PS
Not too sure about wisdom of using flippers while recovering. Seems to be an easy way to over do it.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Recovery times are based on the mean.

When I destroyed my foot they told me that it would take three years to recover, and at the two year point it would not get appreciably better. It took 8 hours of surgery to get it back together and they weren't optimistic.

I would be non weight bearing on crutches for 12 weeks. in a cast for 4 weeks, a boot for 8.

At 11 weeks I was cleared for weight bearing but they wanted me to stay in the boot. I asked if it was to displace weight or something. They said not, that it was immobile for so long that it was week and they didn't want me to injure it. 45 minutes later I never wore the boot again.

I was told I would never run again, probably have a limp and never be able to walk an appreciable distance without stopping to rest it for a few minutes.

At 12 weeks I started squatting and deadlifting.

At 16 weeks I was road biking. (twisting my foot to get out of the clips was excruciating though)

At 8 months I was trail running 8 miles per day.

If you're young and healthy, don't smoke etc you'll heal up quicker.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO KEEP THE ACHILLES TENDON STRETCHED. I sort of blew that off and it took months and months to get the range of motion back. It will absolutely shorten when immobilized.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My MD told me soft tissue injuries have a very high re-injury rate because people do not respect healing times and will begin to exercise to early.

Think of the tension on your achilles when you're crouching in a tube. Think of the tension is the tube slams shut.

I would take a long view and make sure it's 110% healed before surfing. In the mean time boogie board!

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I only had a partial tear but it took well over a year to heal.

Once your MD turns you over to physicsal therapy, your PT becomes your new best friend. Do EXACTLY what the PT tells you, religiously. Always err on the side of caution, and always ask your PT if it's OK to do whatever. Do not attempt to hurry the process.

I made all these mistakes and my 6 month rehab turned into 18 months because I didn't listen to my PT and started doing all kinds of things as soon as the pain was gone, but still way too soon.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A friend of mine had a detached Achilles. Surgery. Back on the mats training in 6 months.

Detached again.

Out for a year. Will walk with a limp for the rest of his life.

He’s 35.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Wanna know how bad Achille's injuries are? Just ask Achille's himself. Did him in...just sayin' LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuefjAuqOw (watch the whole movie if you haven't already)

Of course, with Achilles' achilles he did ok...

In Greek mythology, Achilles or Achilleus was a hero of the Trojan War, the greatest of all the Greek warriors, and is the central character of Homer's Iliad. He was the son of the Nereid Thetis and Peleus, king of Phthia.

Achilles' most notable feat during the Trojan War was the slaying of the Trojan prince Hector outside the gates of Troy. Although the death of Achilles is not presented in the Iliad, other sources concur that he was killed near the end of the Trojan War by Paris, who shot him in the heel with an arrow. Later legends (beginning with Statius' unfinished epic Achilleid, written in the 1st century AD) state that Achilles was invulnerable in all of his body except for his heel because, when his mother Thetis dipped him in the river Styx as an infant, she held him by one of his heels. Alluding to these legends, the term "Achilles' heel" has come to mean a point of weakness, especially in someone or something with an otherwise strong constitution. The Achilles tendon is also named after him due to these legends.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Finally got to stand up on a surfboard last week after 7 months. Been a long road. Taking it easy by riding the log on smaller days until I get more strength and flexibility back. Not pushing to hard on turns, just trimming, gliding and kicking out early. Was “kneeboarding” for about a month or so before that. Still not back to normal by any means, but making progress. Been a lot of peaks, valleys and plateaus through the process.

Reactions: ~rwright~

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the follow-up in real time.

How much further do you think you have to go before you are as "back to normal" as you can get?

What do you think really helped your recovery?

What do you think really didn't help your recovery?

Reactions: sushipop

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Just a note, strength training increases thickness and strength of soft tissues, including Achilles tendons as well as increasing bone density.

Being strong isn't about being jacked for us older guys. It's about increasing your protection against injuries that become more common as we age.

Reactions: sushipop and Havoc

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
thanks Mr. Doof:

How much further do you think you have to go before you are as "back to normal" as you can get?

It’s hard to gauge right now as I feel like
I’m in a bit of a stall with range of motion, strength and stiffness/soreness. But I feel like I’ve got another 3-4 months before I’m back to normal. There are times like this (when I hit a plateau) when I ask myself if this my new normal.

What do you think really helped your recovery?

Having a good physical therapist to work with, following the plan and being disciplined on my “homework” (strengthening and stretching), supplementing my PT with Active Release Therapy. Also, finding ways to turn everyday things into strength exercises while at work and around the house. Like doing calf raises while walking up some stairs, etc.

What do you think really didn't help your recovery?

I would say the mental part of it was the most challenging. It’s weird, but I think I had/have a little PTSD from it since the way it tore was sort of random. Overcoming the obstacles of not wanting to re-rupture it while doing simple things throughout the day, let alone while working on it has been a huge challenge. This was helped a lot by the confidence my PT gave me as I progressed. Slacking on my homework also led to slower progress at times. I also developed an addiction to hazy IPAs during my recovery, which didn’t help my weight gain and inflammation. Oops.