A whole new world of California surfing has opened up to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
CA base, Hawaii base, doesn't matter. I used to get hassled a lot (this was 15-20 years ago). 9 times out of 10 I would get stopped and asked for ID when surfing on base, either walking to or from my car, or in process of going/leaving. I often would get stopped at the gate leaving the base, which I never see anybody else get stopped.

Mugu specifically, I would sometimes get asked for ID multiple times at the beach.

I understand it, I'm not white and I don't look like military people of color.
Pretty routine, especially for Mugu. From what I heard back in 2004 the base CO had DVs in town and took them to the beach and there was a huge straight south swell. 100 cars in the lot. 200 + people in the water. They cracked down on security because of that and set rules in place limiting assholes like Duffy from surfing.

3 times last summer when I was surfing DMJ, there was another checkpoint right by the beach. 100% ID check. Searched my car all 3 times.

It's not cuz you are brown.

• Haha
Reactions: rts265

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I get stopped all the time and asked for ID when I go on military bases.

Based on my experience, the security situation at the surf breaks constantly changes. One base CO will be lax and then something will happen and security will have double check points at the entrance to the beach. And, I've been stationed at every navy base on the west coast that has a good surf spot.

Mark my words, all it will take is someone that had access based on a service connected disability to get into it with someone on active duty and base CO's will lock down surf spots. I've heard from multiple people that base COs are already not happy with the new law allowing so many new people on base because of security concerns.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Pretty routine, especially for Mugu. From what I heard back in 2004 the base CO had DVs in town and took them to the beach and there was a huge straight south swell. 100 cars in the lot. 200 + people in the water. They cracked down on security because of that and set rules in place limiting assholes like Duffy from surfing.

3 times last summer when I was surfing DMJ, there was another checkpoint right by the beach. 100% ID check. Searched my car all 3 times.

Makes sense then.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
CA base, Hawaii base, doesn't matter. I used to get hassled a lot (this was 15-20 years ago). 9 times out of 10 I would get stopped and asked for ID when surfing on base, either walking to or from my car, or in process of going/leaving. I often would get stopped at the gate leaving the base, which I never see anybody else get stopped.

Mugu specifically, I would sometimes get asked for ID multiple times at the beach.

I understand it, I'm not white and I don't look like military people of color.
Do you have tattoos on your neck?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Easy there, cap tooth.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
I was a military dependent until I was 23 and had an ID. While going to college in LA, I would surf Mugu whenever the conditions would lineup and I could make the drive up. I would get hassled so hard (being a brown kid) eventhough I had a legit ID and could surf/be on base whenever I wanted. Most hassled I've ever been on any base was surfing Mugu. Like someone said above, they go car to car. Sometimes they'd loop back and double check the brown kid lol.

Scored some foggy weekdays either by myself or with less than 10 people total, spread out.
Even having to deal with the bad attitudes and bullshit racism, I would say you scored the best surf CA has on offer!

Reactions: racer1

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Definitely the best waves I surfed in California, with the exception of one day at Newport Point in 1998.

One lovely summer I lived with a girl I was dating in Malibu in her little shack. She worked at a florist in Marina Del Ray and I valeted a few shifts a week at Duke's Malibu. She'd leave for work and I'd spend all day surfing Mugu (when it was good). Going back to school was a bummer that Fall. Miss u California.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: afoaf

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Mark my words, all it will take is someone that had access based on a service connected disability to get into it with someone on active duty and base CO's will lock down surf spots. I've heard from multiple people that base COs are already not happy with the new law allowing so many new people on base because of security concerns.
It’ll be my dad lmao

Reactions: racer1

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Same with when I grew up. Always looking over your shoulder every time you surf because of the MP boogie man waiting to catch people.

At one point, MPs were confiscating boards and telling you to come back in 6 months to pick it up. Thankfully I avoided that fate.
I've shared this before.
Buddy and me got busted walking in from Radar Tower, got tossed in the cage, photos taken, we had to sign a paper saying we'd never return and then taken out to the main gate on PCH in our wetsuits with boards and told we had to walk back to our car.
If they saw us hitching a ride they would arrest us again.
We walked about a mile and a CHP pulled over laughing and told us to put the boards in the trunk and gave us a ride back.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
For the record I never complained about it or said I was scared of it. Said I understood why. It's a military base. They should be stopping me and asking questions. Norwegian, Hawaiian and Chinese plus 30 years of surfing comes out looking Syrian.

This was all around or after 9/11. From 99 to 2002.

Reactions: gbg

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
yeah bro keep telling us about all the racism non-white surfers face in ca :ROFLMAO:

ooga booga too many white people in one place me scared.

I wasn't telling you anything.
The guy who has been reminded that he is not white, throughout his life, was sharing an experience. You were denying his experience because you don't believe it exists. i was pointing out the absurdity of you shouting down an experience you can't have.

Reactions: stringcheese

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I wasn't telling you anything.
The guy who has been reminded that he is not white, throughout his life, was sharing an experience. You were denying his experience because you don't believe it exists. i was pointing out the absurdity of you shouting down an experience you can't have.
Great.

I'm sure you feel the same way when "non-whites" make claims about "white privilege".

And you let the non-whites know how absurd they're being because they've never been a white person.

Right?