A Tribute to DIY Shaping feat. Burch, et al...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It was a good watch, but it irked me at the same time.

The clip is essentially about the craft of handmade boards. They mention the history, the stories of the past, hanging out with friends, ect.....and how it's a more fullfilling experience than grabbing a mass produced board off the rack.

Yet they're drinking 10 Barrel beer and using them as a sponsor of the clip. 10 Barrel was a craft brewery that sold out to Anheuser-Busch who sold out to InBev. Now AB InBev is the largest beer conglomerate on the planet and headquartered overseas in Belgium. :toilet:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

recap:
andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell on a shortboard isn't a fair comparison.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
jkb said:
It was a good watch, but it irked me at the same time.

The clip is essentially about the craft of handmade boards. They mention the history, the stories of the past, hanging out with friends, ect.....and how it's a more fullfilling experience than grabbing a mass produced board off the rack.

Yet they're drinking 10 Barrel beer and using them as a sponsor of the clip. 10 Barrel was a craft brewery that sold out to Anheuser-Busch who sold out to InBev. Now AB InBev is the largest beer conglomerate on the planet and headquartered overseas in Belgium. :toilet:
:roflmao:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
ghostshaper said:

recap:
andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell was outclassed.
Is there an update to the posting YouTube vids tutorial? The directions I followed didn't give me any success...

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Goodfish said:
ghostshaper said:

recap:
andrew doheny's surfing is impressive. couldn't tell from the video, but zach flores probably has the best shaping technique, given he's jim the genius's prodigy. his surfing was good, too. ryan burch rips. tyler warren, too, even on an 8'0. jared mell was outclassed.
Is there an update to the posting YouTube vids tutorial? The directions I followed didn't give me any success...
I have the same problem. Doesn't matter which browser I use, they all fail. I've been in the IT business for over 25 years and still can't figure this sh!t out. :mad:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
GromsDad said:
Should have made them glass them themselves. You're not building boards unless you do the whole process yourself.
The clue is in the title: it's about shaping. Architects don't put the bricks together.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Goodfish said:
GromsDad said:
Should have made them glass them themselves. You're not building boards unless you do the whole process yourself.
The clue is in the title: it's about shaping. Architects don't put the bricks together.

to be fair i kind of wanted them to glass em too.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
sozzle said:
Goodfish said:
GromsDad said:

to be fair i kind of wanted them to glass em too.
Every step of the process is an art. For a backyard hack like me it's always amazing to watch the pros at any step of the process. Ever try pin striping????

I wonder if any of the true pros watch that vid and cringe at some of the techniques on display?