A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Finally dusted the salmon rods off for this season a few weeks ago. Targeted chinook entering a river mouth by slow trolling cut plug herring about a foot or two off the bottom right in between the jetties. We scratched out a 4 person limit in the 12-20 lb range. Collars and bellies got marinated in teriyaki for the smoker. Fish crack.View attachment 136256View attachment 136257View attachment 136258
there aint much better in life than smoked belly

Reactions: warble2

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
i dont care what kind of shatfish you boys have...lif anyone has frozen collars....kick em down. n4s....you give me some that one time? LOVE collars
go to your local fish monger/market. they have them its just that nobody knows about them. or get a fishing buddy or get into fishing yourself. it's a great hobby. as frustrating as surfing and you can drink. just need some endson gas and lot's of it

• Haha
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
^^ Solid yo! Nice bunch of lings. What are the rockfish? I don't recognize them. Is that the ones they call black bass?
Looks like an epic trip! :cheers:
black bombers we call them , but I tell ya two looked like a hybrid with the orange/red stomachs cross between yellow eye and the black bomber very different 90% of lings Hali's were 458ft deep

Reactions: keenfish

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
black bombers we call them , but I tell ya two looked like a hybrid with the orange/red stomachs cross between yellow eye and the black bomber very different 90% of lings Hali's were 458ft deep
They look a lot like the blue rockfish we get around here. I like them (blues) cuz they're not bottom dwellers and have good flesh. Great ceviche fish and usually caught on the way down when sending your rig to the bottom for lings, cabs etc.

Reactions: Watervalley

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Helped but didn't snare any myself this time. Hair deeper water this year. There's an art/skill/technique to blowing out through your nose so your mask doesn't smash your forehead, clearing your ears, and swooping one without breathing. Vis got BTFO by upwelling during the mission. Flipped the kayak on the way in.

Got a jack about 8-10# on the 8wt and a bunch of very short snook 12-16" - wish I had the 5wt for them. Basically every fish completely throttled the fly.

H-closeUp2.jpg

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I've fallen behind on this thread so here's a bit of a catch-up.
Went out for my first trip in the Tyee Pool on August 9th. this year as I'm not a great believer in fishing before the fish show up.
Took out a guy named Merv who had been out with me twice before.
The first time we got a 24 pounder, nice but undersize relative to what a Tyee is, over 30 pounds.
Last year we had one right to the boat but it came off before I could net it.
This year we got this one.
RSCN7416.JPG

No Tyee had been registered when we hooked this one and after the long and hard fight and seeing it at a distance on the surface we thought we might have the first one of the year.
Took Merv around 25 minutes to get it boat side so I could net it.
The instant I had it in the net I knew it wasn't 30 pounds, just by its length.
The tape showed 37 inches, about two or three inches too short.
It weighed 27 pounds and four ounces but Merv was happy as could be regardless.

He thinks I'm the best rower ever now. LOL

On the 13th. I had another friend out and we got a solid strike but lost the fish shortly after.
It has been really really really slow this year and we have but six Tyee registered with only one over 40 pounds.
Strikes are few and far between these days.

On the 26th. I had a couple out as part of a Birthday party and out of five boats participating I was the only one who rowed a fish. It was the smallest one I've ever caught from my rowboat and less than 20 pounds I think.
We let it go so we could carry on in hopes of a bigger one showing up.
Bad move as about 10 minutes later a squall nailed us and I had a heckuva time rowing us safely in to where we could motor back to the dock.
Somehow managed to create a major back spasm which has plagued me all week and caused me to cease rowing, not that I've been missing anything.
When there are 40 boats out carrying several hundred years of rowing experience on the oars and most using proven plugs or spoons and not a single salmon is caught the evidence is pretty clear there are no fish in the pool.

Nobody knows why as yet or whether it will improve these last 10 days, but I'll be at it tomorrow with the hope all fishermen have, they are just late.
Here's the fish in my boat. It bit that Lucky Louie Shovel-nose plug you can see in the weight basket.
DSCN7411.JPG

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
A buddy of mine just caught this little unit (150#) off of...Shelter Cove?? Unheard of in these parts...warm water pushing up from Kay, climate change? Anyway, helluva Yellow Fin...
View attachment 137776
Very interesting. It wasn't just a one off. They have also been landing some good size Bigeye up there mixed in with the Albacore. We haven't had albacore down south in 15 years.