A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
All I can say is that you and I think exactly alike. I love watching this guy do his thing. He is the king of cutting fish fo sho!!
This showed up in my suggested vids. I've never caught a chuna but if I ever do I'll watch this again. I skimmed over the hosing off parts, but this guy breaks down a whole one all the way to sashimi slices, cleaning off every little thing you wouldn't want to eat.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
We're eating tuna for a bit. Fish smashed my friends popper before sun up on somewhat reasonable sized spinning gear for tuna. 2 hours to get it boat side and stick it. His first on topwater and it'll be a tough one to top ever.
View attachment 134834
When I was running boats I loved the topwater/ jigging bite.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
This showed up in my suggested vids. I've never caught a chuna but if I ever do I'll watch this again. I skimmed over the hosing off parts, but this guy breaks down a whole one all the way to sashimi slices, cleaning off every little thing you wouldn't want to eat.

Wow, one wrong slip with that blade and you could lose a hand. 1659115841006.gif

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
^^^^^^^
I ran into a guy at the hardware store parking lot last weekend that surf fishes around here a lot.
Said he just got back from fishing the Carp slough mouth, said he caught a 5lb striper!
I've lived here A LONG TIME and have never heard of that.
Nice line sider BTW.

Reactions: keenfish

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
I really appreciate seeing some of the fishing others have on here and wish I could reciprocate with lots of fish pics and such, but alas, my favorite time of year hasn't arrived quite yet, but we launched my Tyee rowboat anyway.
Had it polished up a bit by a guy a friend turned me on to so the old beast looks pretty good again.
Here she is at her usual mooring place, waiting for some Chinook to show up. Pretty well all other runs have been good or really good so far this year, a result of a cooler water regime in the North Pacific the past three years.
Better pasture with no Blob and no El Nino for three years or so and that seems reflected in huge Sockeye returns in Alaska, and pretty good ones of both Sockeye and Pinks around my area.
I'm hoping there will be some bigger fish here this year as I haven't caught one over 45 pounds since 2013. LOL
DSCN7352.JPG

Wish me luck.

Take care.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Went out last Saturday on my buddy's new Parker 25' to try and christen it with a local bluefin tuna.
We were fishing at the Osborn Bank which is just a little bit outside of Santa Barbara Island.
Hooked two and landed one that taped out in the 120-130 pound range.

Here is a pic of my other buddy who was the reelman on the fish.

edit: you might have to hit watch on youtube to get the vid to play.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Fortunate to have a very early/off-season "cold" front. Some rain on Saturday mid-day afternoon, overcast and some North in the wind, NE freshened off GA/Carolinas and Sunday was bluebird and dry and only got up to the mid-80s. This triggered a push of mullet out of the inlets and into the surf and down the beach. Along with some fun little peaks. The water had upwelled leading up to it, but upwelling in North Florida is generally very murky in the surf, and you want some Northerly/Easterly to clear it out.

Got some small bluefish, a small Spanish, and some lower slot seatrout (along with some pretty entertaining misses on topwater) the past few evenings. Always blurry when trying to quickly shoot/release in the surf with the fish thrashing.

DSCF6232.JPGDSCF6233.JPGDSCF6235.JPG

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
Used to catch sheepshead frequently when I lived down in FL. They started to move north a few years ago (probably more like a decade or two, but who's counting). Been seeing increasing reports of them in NJ, been casually targeting them (similar habitat and bait preference as tog) and hoping. Lost one at the surface last fall which strengthened my resolve to land one. Finally nailed one this evening after work, then bolted for the coast and surfed until dark, doubling today's stoke level. Just finished cleaning it (and a bonus tog) under the moonlight. Tomorrow's meal for the family.

sheepshead holding.jpg

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Finally dusted the salmon rods off for this season a few weeks ago. Targeted chinook entering a river mouth by slow trolling cut plug herring about a foot or two off the bottom right in between the jetties. We scratched out a 4 person limit in the 12-20 lb range. Collars and bellies got marinated in teriyaki for the smoker. Fish crack.bellies and collars.jpgNook Kill Bag.jpgBay Cruise.jpg